Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Stockaholics Weekly T/A Charting Challenge (2/18-2/22)

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

?

How do you see this week's chart closing for the week?

Poll closed Feb 19, 2019.
  1. Up.

50.0%
  2. Down.

50.0%
  1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

Stockaholics Weekly T/A Charting Challenge (2/18-2/22)
    (Read this first post for the Stockaholics Weekly T/A Charting Challenge!)

[​IMG]

*Link to Previous Weekly T/A Charting Challenge Thread*

Stockaholics Weekly T/A Charting Challenge Rules & Guidelines:

1.) Participants will take turns each week to post up a chart.

2.) Participants (including the chart picker) will need to then vote on the direction of the chart for the week (starting points from Friday's close), and will have up until 9:30am eastern time on the first trading day of the week. There will be a new poll up for each new week. Members who correctly predict the direction (Up or Down) of the chart by week's end will receive 10 points in the members leaderboard for that week.

3.) Members who also provide some rationale for their direction vote (this can be brief) will be awarded another 2 points in the members leaderboard.

4.) Members who simply "participate" in the challenge will receive 1 point for the week.

Remember...the chart direction poll closes at the opening bell on the first trading day of the new week! So try to get those votes in ASAP!

So, w/o getting into further ado have at it with the T/A on this week's charting challenge!

(Chart to be posted in here sometime after the market closes on Friday.)

DYNAMIC DAILY CHART:

[​IMG]

DYNAMIC WEEKLY CHART:

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a poll for the week of 2/18-2/22, 2019
    Expires Tuesday at the opening bell on: 2/19/19
    Don't forget to click the "Vote Now" button! ;)

How does Stockaholics think this week's chart will close the week?

[​IMG]

Starting point:

**Starting point will be edited into this post after Friday close**
    Don't forget to post your vote to be listed in the 2019

[​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2019 Stockaholics T/A Charting Challenge Members Leaderboard-
    [​IMG]

Results from the last poll (2/11-2/15)
    37.01 (+6.87%)

Stockaholics Voted
    [​IMG]

Stockaholics wins the weekly poll tally this week! Credit goes to the UP votes! :cool:

Post your Vote!
    [​IMG]

#1 bigbear0083, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  2. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Post #1 Updated!
    Scores Graded!

Click the button below to view the 2019 Stockaholics T/A Charting Challenge Member Voting Record-
    [​IMG]

Stockaholics wins the weekly poll tally this week! Credit goes to the UP votes! :cool:

Congratulations to the following members who voted UP in the poll!

@bigbear0083
    @Steven_Burt
    @Stoch
    @anotherdevilsadvocate
    @Onepoint272

Weekly T/A charting challenge direction voting poll stats:
    • Longest active weekly winning streak belongs @Onepoint272 with 4 straight correct weekly charting direction calls.
    • Best overall weekly poll percentage leader for the year belongs to @bigbear0083 and @Onepoint272 at 85.71% accuracy in 2019.
    • Best overall weekly poll percentage leader for the quarter belongs to @bigbear0083 and @Onepoint272 at 85.71% accuracy this quarter.
    • Most consecutive correct weekly calls in 2019 belongs to @Onepoint272 with 4 correct weekly calls (currently active).
    • Most consecutive correct weekly calls ever belongs to @Steven_Burt with 6 correct calls in 2018-19.
    Here is a look at the weekly T/A charting poll members voting record leaderboard as of week ending 2.15.19-
    @Onepoint272 is still our current leader this quarter with 75 points! :cool:
    [​IMG]

And finally here are just some members stats from the weekly T/A charting voting records thus far in 2019-
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2019 Stockaholics T/A Charting Challenge Members Leaderboard-
    [​IMG]

Whelp, that is a wrap from me this week. I hope you all have an awesome weekend ahead! Have fun and be safe! Cheers y'alls! :cool:

Please Post your Vote on this thread and make sure to also click in your Vote on the poll at the top by 9:30AM eastern time on Tuesday!

3. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Notable mentions to @Onepoint272 with the current Stockaholics weekly winning streak high at 4 in a row. Nice job! :cool:

[​IMG]

Onepoint272 likes this.
  4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

5. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 Well-Known Member

Let's please take a look at one that I own, NVTA. Your opinions for next week will be appreciated.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  6. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Good chart and a tough call because I think earnings are Tuesday after close. I'm gonna vote up.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  7. Steven_Burt

Steven_Burt Well-Known Member

Technically NVTA is over bought and piercing the upper bollinger band. These super low floaters usually do well on shortened weekends for whatever reason, but going into earnings after such a monster run I would be afraid to hold it personally. The slightest miss or guidance that is off would bring in profit taking imo.

I gotta go with DOWN on NVTA (sorry @Onepoint272 )

8. bigbear0083

Staff Member

nice pick @Onepoint272

ima go with an up for this week...albeit looks a little extended on the short-term, however with ER and a short trading week can see this continue to leg higher this week. thinking a test of the sept. high at some point could be in the works as well.

9. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Meat Popsicle

Randomly waltzed into this thread.

If this is a pure T/A competition - shouldn't the chosen stock be absent of an earnings report in the same week?

Steven_Burt and bigbear0083 like this.
  10. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Oh cool nice to see Rock checking in here.

Yeah the main purpose of this particular competition was to make it purely T/A but I kinda haven't been enforcing this at all, or at least haven't yet since I've been trying to focus my efforts on getting participation in here. I think at some point it would make sense to make this exclusively T/A.

As for picks that have an ER on the same week, yeah think I'd agree with that, but for now I'd say it's fine since we're still kinda new on running this format.

I also think having this on a weekly format might have been too short of a time frame for this competition. I probably would have been better off to run this on a monthly to really give picks time to play out. 5 trading days does seems kinda short right?

Anyway, it's good to see you checking in here though Rock! Honestly never thought I'd see you chiming in on these threads haha. But it would be pretty kickass to see you participating.

Rock Sexton likes this.
  11. Stoch

Stoch Active Member

I vote down, getting a little overextended here and close to the top at 17.

12. Onepoint272

To be honest, I didn't even realize that NVTA earnings were coming up next week until Three Eyes and Cy (on his "upcoming earnings" thread) pointed it out. Nevertheless, being a Wyckoff trader, I believe the chart (T/A) can theoretically tell us which way the CM intends to take the price after ERs. Sometimes that is not so obvious though and ERs do create noise. Fortunately though, the ER is early in the week, after the close on Tuesday, the first day of trading after the Monday holiday, so there's plenty of time for the noise to work itself out. It's a T/A challenge no doubt, but a potentially profitable challenge.

Long term, I believe the weekly chart is bullish. So regardless of the ER results I believe the CM is fully invested and intends to take this higher, eventually. After a trading range dating back to a selling climax in Feb 2016, 3 years ago, it underwent a #1 Spring where the CM held open his bag as the public dumped their shares into it. It then sprung and jumped over the creek and has since backed up to the creek. More recently, over the past couple months it has impulsively come off the December low setting up an AB-CD pattern (see purple letters on chart). It went over the purple "B-point" with increased volume and over the resistance line established at 15.48 at the black "D", the August high, with increased volume. Because of that, I believe the AB to CD ratio reaching at least 1:1 is probable, giving a D-point of at least $19.38.

This past Friday it closed the week a penny under the November high. As I said this weekly chart looks very bullish but I'll give my final opinion for next weeks action after studying the shorter-term time frames.

Weekly:
    upload_2019-2-16_20-25-41.png

#12 Onepoint272, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Steven_Burt and bigbear0083 like this.
  13. rStock

rStock Well-Known Member

14. Lico Inv

Lico Inv Active Member

UP_ Underrated Growth. and fast. earnings, I expect will impress. a Long-term play who can infiltrate their industry.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  15. Onepoint272

I'm going with UP.

Last week there was shortening of the upward thrust going into resistance but the ER is an opportunity for the CM to take it higher and I think the longer term chart shows he is ready or at a minimum to take it up for a test of the 18.38 high.

#15 Onepoint272, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    bigbear0083 likes this.
  16. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Meat Popsicle

I knew you'd say that! LOL ..... it's why I almost didn't even post my comment. I have to admit, even with all of my Wyckoff experience, ER's still make me a bit squeamish.

You and I have talked about NVTA many times over in your journal after that day it came up on my screener. No doubt the long term future is up based on what the chart says.

bigbear0083 and Onepoint272 like this.
  17. Onepoint272

...and I knew you knew I'd say that...but I said it anyway too. :D

bigbear0083 and Rock Sexton like this.
  18. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I think the relative strength is in an area of resistance, so I'll vote down.
    [​IMG]

Probably go up ~5% after hours, then sell off the day after ER but not much.

These guys process DNA samples? OSUR has been devastated, and ILMN has been weak after their ER.

Onepoint272 likes this.
  19. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

EPS and revenue beats so far (Weds morning) seem to be going over well.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  20. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Midweek Chart Update-

START (2/15/19 CLOSE): 16.06
    CURRENT (2/20/19 CLOSE): 18.76 (+16.81%)

[​IMG]

Onepoint272 likes this.