The aftermath

Discussion in 'Investing' started by B Russ, Mar 22, 2020.

1. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

Policies will be forever changed by this pandemic. In the long term. Thats easy to see. I hope our general mentality does too.

Im smart enough to foresee industry shifts will happen, but to dumb to narrow my sights on winners and losers. What says the ol stockaholics crew?

Im thinking things like capacity limits based on viral outbreaks as opposed to fire codes. Sneeze guard kinds of restaurants. (The golden corral types, short as F***)

Who is going to make the new body scanner that im sure we will be required to go through to fly?

Work from home, i am sure will be found to be pretty reasonable. (I live in walmart home office country). They are Working on building a massive campus. But most the people that are going to work there, i think are successfully working from home.

My children and probably half of america’s children will finish their education online this yr. you cant tell me the success of this and everything right now thats also unprecedented isnt being monitored. Who wins from that? Who loses? And from the shifts i didnt mention....im sure you all have others in mind. Pharma, online retail, movie theaters/vs ntflx, i dont know. Lets find the gems. (Said everyone ever).

Syynik likes this.
  2. Syynik

Syynik Well-Known Member

A friend of mine believes FARMING PRACTICES are going to change as well. She can't really explain how or why but this woman has insane abilities at seeing future trends and areas of growth. I've learned never to blow off her ideas.

CAT? Farmland REITs? (my personal fave)

B Russ and daddyof2 like this.
  3. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

Thats what im talking about. The cultural shifts. Not the pop n drop stuff. I can see farming making making a change. Probably needed. Lol. I saw a newspaper just last night, (what's that, right?) at my job. It said hydro is the way forward for you name it, in arkansas. I know thats because weed finally won. (Huge advocate btw) but yeah. Weed revolutionized farming. Growing indoors to avoid being caught, has changed industry for the better. Haha

Syynik and daddyof2 like this.
  4. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

I used to follow BWLD (buffalo wild wings)way back when it was a ticker. Their stock would move full percentage points based off if a popular team made it to the playoffs or not, just before their earnings reports. Wild fn stock. I loved it.

but i keep thinking of them and everyone like them when i think that football is cancelled. March madness is cancelled. Baseball is cancelled. Soccer is cancelled. So on so forth.
    Oh and then the hotels, and rental cars people use to get there and stay there.....

Syynik likes this.
  5. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Cell towers as more landline bandwidth gets overwhelmed and cellular bandwidth scrambles to meet the ever-growing demand: CCI & AMT.

B Russ and Syynik like this.
  6. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

love it. And with that, i am dying for starlink to ipo, sooner than later.
    I am an elon musk fanboy. Under the “bet the horse” mentality. Well in this case, with starlink we have the horse and the sector. Even if its overpriced, ipo, i believe. We have a unicorn. Not an ordinary horse

Syynik likes this.
  7. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

The golden Corral recently sent out a safety announcement.

IMG_3842_01.jpg

#7 TomB16, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Syynik likes this.
  8. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I find it odd someone would consider Elon and Starlink to be a dark horse.

Not only are they leading the low latency satellite constellation industry by leagues with a plausible target of going retail with product in 2020 (continental US only), their closest competitor, OneWeb, just filed for bankruptcy as they launched 32 more satellites.

OneWeb isn't even close to having an operational constellation. The US Air Force is already testing/using Starlink in training missions.

9. Syynik

Syynik Well-Known Member

:D:D:D Hilarious!!!

So, what you're saying, is, Golden Corral provides immunity building to its regular diners...? Sign me up!

TomB16 likes this.
  10. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

To the original question:

I have a hugely negative point of view on future. Most of the stocks I consider are dismissed outright without running the numbers, because I don't think they will be viable in 10 years. When I consider the list of companies I feel will prosper 10 or 20 years from now, it's a REALLY short list.

I feel the same about companies that are run with integrity and respect their owners. There are damn few.

The intersection of those two spaces leaves almost nobody. lol!

It's gotten to where I buy companies if I think they "might survive" the next decade and they are a deep enough discount. Even hospital REITs, which have been cut in half by this pandemic, will have to transform themselves a bit as gene splicing technology comes online.

Our portfolio is so defensive, the changes I've made in the last year to mitigate this crash have been extremely minimal. Good companies are out there but they are like needles in haystacks.

Syynik and B Russ like this.
  11. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

I didnt refer to Elon as a dark horse. Quite the opposite. He is widely known. Therefore the IPO could resemble that of facebook hype, back in the day. Considered overpriced, overhyped. But i will have my truck backed up to get some. Because it will still be a value because he is a unicorn. A once in a lifetime human being that Is changing the face of humanity. And all his ventures support each other.
    Convince me starlink won’t support tesla cars.....and visa versa. Ill wait and engage in conversation while staying convinced they will ☕️ Haha

TomB16 likes this.
  12. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

Cabellas? Doomsday preppers start ups?

13. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

There isn't much chance of a Tesla vehicle ever connecting directly to Starlink. Starlink requires larger antennas than would be reasonable in a vehicle. Teslas are designed to use cellular communications.

On the other hand, I wouldn't put it past Elon to use Starlink to backhaul a cellular network that could literally be wireless. He has all the core pieces: solar power, batteries, wireless WAN, etc. The pieces they don't yet have is cellular bandwidth and cellular network, although I suspect he isn't far away on some the network side. The satellites are undoubtedly built on an MPLS platform and that's what you want to support cellular last mile.

Imagine being able to either spank down a pre-fab monopole or have a module that can be bolted to the roof of a building and then just walk away. He could easily cut the cost of a cellular access point by a factor of 10.

In my fantasy world, I see SpaceX or Tesla buying a bankrupt cellular company and slowly converting/expanding it to Starlink. I don't imagine he can do that globally, though. Nobody can. It will be amazing if it happens in the continental US.