To LLC, or not to LLC

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Stockyinvesting1, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Stockyinvesting1

Stockyinvesting1 New Member

If you are up to the challenge, my 2 part question is this:

1 - Are stocks that I invest in public record? (i.e. I am an employee at "Shoe Store A", but I buy $20,000 in stock at "Shoe Store B" through a well known website you can buy stock through / will my stock investment be "searchable" by the general public (either nationally, or in my community)...

If not, Great,

but if so...

2 - My wife and I would like to make an investment in a certain stock. For personal/professional reasons, we would prefer the public didn’t know what specific stock we are investing in. Having said that, is it permissible for my wife and I to create an LLC for the sole purpose of keeping our names private for when the stock is purchased (basically, is there any penalty for creating an LLC and not doing business, or only using it to make investments with).

2. Stockyinvesting1

Any input would be great!

3. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

No, I cant not search some database and see if you own shares in AAPL. That information is private.

You can create and LLC, but that does not make you anonymous. That LLC is directly connected to your name unless you have some 3rd party create it, but as per the first answer, you don't have to worry about privacy because nobody in the public has access to your trading records.

There are more complicated tax implications to consider if you go the LLC route, be sure to read over that before you can and do it.

4. Stockyinvesting1

Thank you for the information. Just to clarify, you are saying that I can buy stock in my name and no one can perform a "search" on what I specifically invested in, and even if you have an LLC, there are ways around it for the public to find out who you really are?..

5. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

No, the public can not find that information.

I can not go to google and search for shareholders in a stock, its not public information.

The SEC and other federal agencies can find out if they wanted with the correct warrant.

6. Stockyinvesting1

Thank you, you have answered the question. Yes, I understand the SEC and other federal agencies can and should, which is no issue to me. The reason I asked about anonymousy is due to a Church Pastor (for example) who doesn't drink alcohol, but they decide to invest in a liquor company using their name (It probably wouldn't look great if that information was public in regards to the Pastors reputation).

Thanks

#6 Stockyinvesting1, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017