trading at night

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by KorwinPojeb, Aug 6, 2020.

1. KorwinPojeb

KorwinPojeb New Member

Can someone please let me know why stock prices keep changing overnite after extended hours and before premarket ? I have bunch of stocks in my portfolio and I see prices up and down at 10pm Chicago time or 2am Chicago time. If there is trading going on…how I can participate in it buying/selling ? thanks for your help

2. KorwinPojeb

KorwinPojeb New Member

Can someone please let me know why stock prices keep changing overnite after extended hours and before premarket ? I have bunch of stocks in my portfolio and I see prices up and down at 10pm Chicago time or 2am Chicago time. If there is trading going on…how I can participate in it buying/selling ? thanks for your help

3. A55

A55 Well-Known Member

There's after hours and premarket trading. Your broker should offer it. Some people only buy and sell during off hours. A good way for you to watch all day, then execute your trades after all the dust settles after the closing bell. Or get in your trade before the rest of the world at the opening bell.

4. A55

A55 Well-Known Member

5. The Brontide

The Brontide Active Member

While I trade in pre and post market windows in the US, I sleep at night knowing that elsewhere the trades still happen.

Not enough hours in the day to worry about it, short of nuclear war going on during my bedtime.

6. 姑爺仔

姑爺仔 Active Member

When I want to buy, I place the order with a limit price. I pay what I think it's worth. If the stock price is higher, I didn't miss out, as it was too expensive to buy. I sell with a limit price. I get the price I want, or I don't sell. I can hold on to the stock until I get my price. Place the order in the middle of the night, or any time of day.

7. KorwinPojeb

KorwinPojeb New Member

look at all the attached pictures. I took them at (all chicago time) 9:30pm, 4:26am, 5:04am and 5:47am. that's OUTSIDE of pre-market or extended hours. How the heck those numbers change at night ? AZN goes from : $55.95, $56.07, $56.12 $56.15 during those time frames... so the stock price changes, if price changes does it mean that trading is going on ? if so how I can participate ? those changes are low...but if there is bad info at 2am Chicago time that in rainy London AZN's CEO got sudden attack of loose stool...price will tumble ...and I need to sell at 2am my time...pre-market will be too late

Attached Files:

8. 姑爺仔

姑爺仔 Active Member

AstraZeneca is also listed for trade in London and Stockholm. Your shares in New York are influenced by the company being traded around the clock, around the world.

Call London and Stockholm. Find a brokerage there who will open an account for you, and handle your trades.

Or only buy stocks traded in USA.

PSX_20200807_225453.jpg

9. 姑爺仔

姑爺仔 Active Member

I had 3 days off. Got off a swing shift. Stayed up all night drinking. Stomach was queazy from greasy diner food mixing with the 20 or so shots of Irish whiskey. Fell asleep just as sun was coming up. Then the phone wouldn't stop ringing. 9/11. At the time, nobody really knew what was happening. Information was not yet a superhighway. I had a Nextel the size of a shoebox. Real life meant that I was trying to juggle 2 jobs, 2 girlfriends, and support a couple of bartenders and strippers a dollar at a time.

The Brontide likes this.
  10. 姑爺仔

姑爺仔 Active Member

Don't worry so much about AstraZeneca. A few dollars up or down doesn't mean anything. The company isn't bankrupt. Hold the stock. Collect dividend. You will be fine with AstraZeneca in 10 years.

Ask yourself why you have money in TCHC.
    PSX_20200807_232755.jpg

#10 姑爺仔, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    rg7803 likes this.
  11. KorwinPojeb

KorwinPojeb New Member

mystery solved. some brokers offer extended hours trading starting at 4am...oh well. sleep well my lil armchair theorists ;-)...dreaming that somebody out there got 20% advantage over u ;-)