Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Trading on sentiment indicators

Discussion in 'Investing' started by Jelle, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Jelle

Jelle New Member

Sentiment is generally accepted as an important factor driving stock prices (eg. However is there anyone investing based on sentiment indicators?

Currently I have setup tooling that measures sentiment on a daily basis via a chat survey, and for which the results are shared daily (platform is accessible via Telegram).

Measuring sentiment is one thing, but investing/trading on it is a whole different beast, so I am curious if anyone invests (partly) based on sentiment indicators, and if so, how?
    [​IMG]

2. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Is there a place for sentiment for short-term trading when so much of the moment-to-moment, tick-by-tick market action is driven by algorithms?

3. Jelle

Jelle New Member

Yes fair point, though literature suggests some abnormal returns can be generated by using sentiment indicators (Twitter, surveys etc). Also I am thinking in more of a risk-on risk-off type of sentiment investing, so over medium horizon and more in the lines of factor investing (msci also is incorporating sentiment as a factor). This implies less "competition" from algo based trading, and would have sentiment more as a tool on when to enter en exit the market.

4. JerryM

JerryM Well-Known Member

I would suggest that using the MACD and RSI together is as much a sentiment indicator as anything since movement is determined by both price and volume of shares trading up or down at any point in time.