Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

***TRIAL RUN: Stockaholics 2017 Daily Stock Pick Challenge League***

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

1. Cy McCaffrey

Cy McCaffrey Content Manager
    Staff Member

***TRIAL RUN: Stockaholics 2017 Daily Stock Pick Challenge League***
    (Read this first post for the new Stockaholics Daily Stock Picking Challenge League)

[​IMG]

So as promised the other day, here we will be test running the new daily challenge league idea for next week.

NOTE: This particular season is simply meant to act as a TEST run, and will not count toward anything. I just wanted to get a feel for how this one will also work for us for when/if we ever do decide to go live with this at some point in the future.

Here is how this league ultimately works-

Here we will have listed all of the daily stock picking challenge members head-to-head schedule for the week-
    [​IMG]

Next, we have the members standings for the season which includes wins/losses/points. Where every win = 3 points, and a loss (participation) = 1 point. In the event of a tie in the standings we would then simply use the average roi of all the members picks in the season to break the tie.
    [​IMG]

Lastly, we'll have individual members stock picking schedules/results which includes all of the daily stock picks of that day, opponent faced and a won/lost column-
    [​IMG]

And finally here's how the actual daily stock picking challenge spreadsheets for each member would appear, which includes each daily challenge for the week, and an overall results sheet-
    [​IMG]

NOTE: Should a member fail to participate on any given day for whatever reasons, we would simply carry over their pick from the previous day to the next day, just as we did on the tournament challenge trial run.

The rules for this league will be done up exactly the same as our usual daily stock picking challenge rules, where in this case we will be allowing leveraged ETF's for daily picks.

Important - Please read carefully: IF YOUR PICKS ARE OUT OF COMPLIANCE AFTER THE START OF THE TOURNAMENT, YOUR POSITION WILL BE FORFEITED.

*When you make your picks, please make sure there are empty spaces around them, so they come up in the thread search.

Correct: AAPL - Long (Blank space after AAPL)
    Incorrect: AAPL- Long (No space after AAPL)
    • Pick ONE stock/ETF, either long, short, that trade on the U.S. Stock Exchange.
    • You cannot duplicate someone's exact play. For example, if someone picks AAPL - Long, you can only pick AAPL - Short as long as it is not taken yet. Use the "Search This Thread" link as it only takes a few seconds to see if the ticker has been mentioned.
    • The stock/ETF must close at $2 minimum the day before the challenge. No Indexes or pinks/OTCBB.
    • Once you pick something, that is it, it is yours unless it is not a valid pick. This way someone doesn't pick a stock that others want, then at the last second change it. Please do not edit your posts with your pick. If you need to change your pick and/or the direction, just use two separate posts instead of editing your first.
    • You are allowed to pick a leveraged ETF. (These are the 2x/3x ETF's)
    • Optional - You may post a rationale (either technical or fundamental) for your pick, but it is not required.
    • You may choose to close out your pick at any time during the trading day. Please post your own closing price. We will be using the closing price of the 1 minute intraday chart with the time stamp of your post here on Stockaholics to get your official intraday closing prices!
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and if anyone sees someone else messing up, please correct them. Also, please look at your positions after I post the spreadsheets. I try to catch mistakes, in and out of my control, but need your help in making sure the information is accurate.

Remember...the season starts at the opening bell on Monday, March 20th!

GLTA.

Click the button below to view the main Daily Stock Pick Challenge League spreadsheet-
    [​IMG]

2. Cy McCaffrey

Staff Member

Here are each individual members daily challenge spreadsheets-

[​IMG] <-- click there to open!

We will be using just this 1 thread for the duration of this test season. However, we won't be using this thread for actual picks postings. We will be using the normal daily challenge threads to pull your picks for this trial run of the league season.

If you guys should have any comments or questions about anything here pertaining to this new league idea please chime in here! This thread will be used for all discussions regarding the league.

GLTA.

@Dre4
    @Cy McCaffrey
    @Jrich
    @homosapienfromterra
    @Wolfy
    @Ken34
    @anotherdevilsadvocate
    @stock1234

(I left @T0rm3nted out of this test run as I know he's mentioned to me that he'll be getting busy from next week onward)

3. Cy McCaffrey

Staff Member

Just a quick heads up in here to those members above that I have testing out our daily challenge trial run of the league season for next week. Originally I had posted (in red bold text above) that we would be using the regular daily challenge threads to pull your picks here into the league challenges, but I think that might not actually work out very well due to the fact that if someone is looking to close out a pick in the regular daily challenge might not be wanting to close out their pick here in the league challenge. So, to sort of resolve this conflict we might experience I would ask if you guys just use this thread here to post your daily picks and closing picks. Probably will make things a bit easier for myself as well when I'm updating the spreadsheets. Thx fellas and GLTA in this trial run this week. :)

4. Jrich

Jrich Active Member

So are we abandoning the tournament bracket in favor of the league?.. Or we gonna run both??....... Seems like a lot of wear and tear on you if we try to do both

5. stock1234

stock1234 Active Member

I think we are just gonna try both the league format and the bracket format to see which format people prefer more, eventually we will just go with the format that people here prefer more.

6. stock1234

stock1234 Active Member

Thanks for setting everything up Cy, we will see how the league format works out :D

Cy McCaffrey likes this.
  7. Jrich

Jrich Active Member

Ok... I call tails, and I'll kickoff

BWEN long

8. Cy McCaffrey

Staff Member

Yep, @stock1234 hit on it. We'll be running the bracket challenge to its completion, whilst trial running this new league format at the same time as well.

The bracket challenge concludes in 2 weeks, but the duration of this league format will only last 1 week long.

I'm hoping by the end of this month we'll have a better idea of which format people prefer most -- Bracket Tournament vs. League.

I'm going to shoot off a quick PM to everyone who is participating on this is league challenge this week because I'm sure there is probably going to be a few people confused by how this new format is going to work for this upcoming week.

I just think keeping the picks independent from the regular daily challenge thread will be the way to go for this league thread this way there is no confusion when it comes to people who want to close out picks for the league challenge.

Sorry if I've confused any of you guys here lol! I think we'll get better handle on how this all works once next week gets underway. I'm kind of excited to see how this is gonna go. :D

9. Cy McCaffrey

Staff Member

Just re-posting what I had sent out in the PM to our participants in here-

OK, so I see people are still forgetting post up picks in the new league thread ... so here is my idea for you all that will hopefully work this week and make things a little less confusing for you guys who are helping to trial run this new format this week.

If you guys are used to just posting up picks in the regular daily challenge thread only that's fine, you may continue doing that, we'll scrap the idea of posting picks in each individual threads respectively. I see that is confusing everyone, and honestly I don't blame y'all. I want to make these things as easy as possible for everyone.

So, here is what I was thinking-
    • First - If you're posting your pick to the regular daily challenge thread realize that you are also posting your pick for the tournament challenge as well as the new league challenge with that one pick. In other words, the pick that you make on the regular daily challenge thread will also be your same pick for the tournament challenge and the league challenge respectively.
    • Second - If want to pick a levered x3 etf for the regular daily challenge thread you may still proceed to do so, but since we are not allowing leveraged 3x etf's for the tournament challenge (this goes to the 4 of you who are still in the tournament) -- if you are going to select the levered etf pick then simply just post up 2 picks in your post. One for the normal daily challenge (which would be your levered etf pick) and one for the tournament challenge (the non-levered etf pick). We are however allowing x3 etf's for the new league format so that won't be an issue there.
    • Third - And this is the most important one IMHO. If you guys are closing out your daily pick on any given day this week, please just state in your post on the regular daily thread which challenge you are closing out on. In other words -- say someone picked AAPL - long on the regular daily challenge thread for Monday. You realize that would also be their same pick for the tournament and league challenges as well. So for example if you posted "Hey Cy please close out my AAPL - long position 140.55 at 1:35pm" - then I would simply be closing out your pick on all 3 challenges (daily, tournament, league) for the day. Unless you specifically state in your post which challenge(s) you are closing your pick out on.
    Does this make any sense at all? I hope it does. But if you guys are still confused just holla back and I'll see if I can explain a little better.

Anyway, as always if you guys have any questions please let me know in this thread. I know this has gotten a little more confusing than I was hoping. Sorry about that haha.

But, as I said I think we'll get this all figured out this week.

Hope you guys had a nice weekend! Looking forward to seeing how the trial run of this new format will work.

10. Cy McCaffrey

Staff Member

Here are each of the individual members daily challenge spreadsheets again in case anyone was ever looking around for them! GL to everyone this week! :D

11. Cy McCaffrey

Staff Member

And here we have our first ever daily challenge trial run of this newest league format-

First here are the winners today and this week up to this point-
    [​IMG]

Next up we have the members standings as of market close today-
    (NOTE: The Avg. ROI stat in the standings will show up by week's end)
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the main Daily Stock Pick Challenge League spreadsheet-
    [​IMG]

And lastly, here are each individual members challenge for the day and week thus far.

If you guys have any questions about any of this let me know.

12. Cy McCaffrey

Staff Member

And finally here we have our Day #2 trial run of the newest league format-

First here are the winners today and this week up to this point-
    [​IMG]

Next up we have the members standings as of market close today-
    @stock1234 & @Ken34 currently leading it in the standings with 6 points as of market close 3.21.17.
    (NOTE: The Avg. ROI stat in the standings will show up by week's end)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Cy McCaffrey

Staff Member

Just a quick heads up in here for anyone who is still checking in on this league trial run this week. So, I am thinking of calling off the remaining 2 days of this league challenge as I have unfortunately gotten a little busier than I had anticipated this week. Sorry about that! I think 3 days was probably sufficient enough though for us to get a feel for how this thing works. So now that we've had an opportunity to test run this thing here, I think I am actually leaning more toward the tournament format over this league format. But, that's just me personally. Not really sure what the rest of you guys think? Thoughts? Let me know!

For now however, I think we will just stick with the regular daily stock picking challenge, and put these 2 on the side. Admittedly, it is a bit much for me to handle at this time haha. :p

I just want to quickly thank the 8 of you who did help me test this out this week!

@Dre4
    @Cy McCaffrey
    @Jrich
    @homosapienfromterra
    @Wolfy
    @Ken34
    @anotherdevilsadvocate
    @stock1234

Thx again fellas! :D If y'alls want to give some input/feedback in here on what you guys think of this format I'd be more than happy to hear it.

Anyway, I'm glad that we got the chance to trial run this thing and the tourney format this month. Gave us a good feel for how these would work if we ever did officially run this in the future. :)

14. stock1234

stock1234 Active Member

It was a good test on this trail run, thanks for your time and effort on these contests Cy :)

Cy McCaffrey likes this.
  15. Cy McCaffrey

Staff Member

Here are the final league stats during this 3-day trial run period of the league challenge this week-

@Ken34 is our winner with a 3-0 record and 9 points.

Here was the final standings:
    [​IMG]

And here was the schedule from this week with the winners from each day:
    [​IMG]

@Ken34 was the only one to have gone undefeated during this 3-day trial run:
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the full Daily Stock Pick League Challenge spreadsheet-
    [​IMG]

And lastly, here were each individual member challenge spreadsheets with each daily challenge results within each respective sheet.

Click the username buttons below to access each individual user spreadsheets-

So now that we've had a chance to trial run this thing on here, I'm curious to get everyone's overall thoughts on this league challenge? Is it worth to give this a try at some point later down the road? Or not so much? Or do you prefer the "tournament" format more? Thx again fellas for helping me test run this here this week!