Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

***TRIAL RUN: Stockaholics 2019 Quarterly Q1 Portfolio Challenge***

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

***TRIAL RUN: Stockaholics 2019 Quarterly Q1 Portfolio Challenge***
    (Read this first post for the new Stockaholics 2019 Quarterly Q1 Portfolio Challenge.)

[​IMG]

OK, so as was first brought up here, I am going to be trying my hand at a brand new contest format for Stockaholics in the new year. This is going to be called the Stockaholics Quarterly Portfolio Challenge.

For this contest, participants will be making 10 picks (long or short) for their portfolios.

To make this challenge super easy for everyone, I am going to be adopting the same exact format rules as our other stock picking contests.

===========================================================================================================

If you want to be eligible to participate in this quarter's portfolio challenge here is what you need to do (REQUIRED!):
    • 1.) Post 10 tickers (ex. AAPL = Apple) but YOU MUST pick 10 not just 1 or 2 or else I will not add you to our list of contestants!
    • 2.) Choose either Long or Short for each ticker (Obviously LONG = if you think it will go up ... or SHORT = if you think it will go down this quarter)
    • 3.) All 10 of your picks MUST each be at least $2 at the bare minimum! If you pick something that is under $2 then your pick will not count, and you will not be entered into this quarter's portfolio challenge!
    Challenge Rules (PLEASE READ THESE AND FOLLOW THEM!):
    • 1.) No OTC or IPOs.
    • 2.) No Futures, Forex, Indexes stuff like that... Equities ONLY that trade on the U.S. Stock Exchange!
    • 3.) If you don't post both the ticker AND the direction (LONG/SHORT) you won't be added to the list of contestants for this quarter's portfolio challenge!
    • 4.) You cannot duplicate someone's exact portfolio!
    • 5.) All picks absolutely MUST be posted in here before the 9:30AM eastern time cash market open on the first trading day of the quarter!
    • 6.) You are NOT allowed to pick any leveraged ETFs/ETNs (2x/3x). If you choose one, it will not count. If incorrect picks go un-noticed, you risk your position being forfeited!
    • 7.) RATIONALE - You may post up a rationale (either technical or fundamental) for all of your picks but they are not required. This is optional for everyone.
    • 8.) Please DO NOT EDIT your original post with your picks! If you absolutely must choose another pick, please use a separate post and state that you are changing your original pick to something else!
    • 9.) You may choose to close out one or all of your picks at any time during the trading quarter. PLEASE POST YOUR OWN CLOSING PRICE(S)! We will be using the intraday 1 minute closing price using the time stamp of your post on Stockaholics for when you closed out your pick. You will need to state which pick(s) you are closing out as well as the price & the time of when you closed out. I will be confirming that your closing price is correct by looking at the 1 min. intraday chart. If it is not correct, I will then post up your correct price and input that into the live spreadsheet. If you choose to close out after the trading day is finished (after the closing bell), you will then get the next day's opening price.
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and if anyone sees someone else messing up, please correct them. Also, please look at your positions after I post the spreadsheets. I try to catch mistakes, in and out of my control, but need your help in making sure the information is accurate.

Remember...the challenge starts at the opening bell on Wednesday, January 2nd!

GLTA. :)

===========================================================================================================

Since I am going to be running this inaugural challenge as a "trial run", there won't be any leaderboards or record keeping. This is because I want to first get a feel for how this is going to work out for me, and if I can manage to run this, with all of the other stuff that I have running here on the forums.

I'm thinking it won't be any issues, but I will need to test things out first.

If all should go as planned, then we may just make this into a regular quarterly challenge on the forums.

If you guys have any questions, suggestions, or whatever, feel free to drop them into this thread. This will also be our dedicated discussion thread for discussing this new portfolio challenge.

Looking forward to seeing how this all goes in here! :D

[​IMG] <-- click there to view!

[​IMG] <-- click there to submit your picks!

EMBEDDED SHEET:

#1 bigbear0083, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Steven_Burt, Lico Inv and Three Eyes like this.
  2. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Oh man, I think I have just managed to incorporate @Three Eyes's Google Forms idea for the Stockaholics contests into this Portfolio Challenge as well!

I haven't actually tested any of this out yet to find out for myself, but I am very eager to see if this actually works. I wasn't sure if it was possible to add multiple forms into the same spreadsheet, but evidently it is!

I've setup individual forms for the following members:

@Three Eyes
    @Lico Inv
    @Steven_Burt
    @bigbear0083

First, before you guys hit up your individual form links to submit your picks, here is the main spreadsheet link for this challenge. On this spreadsheet you will want to hit up the tab at the bottom that has your username on it.

Here is @Three Eyes's sheet for example-

[​IMG]

Now onto the button links!

I figured it would be a helluva lot easier and less time consuming for me if I just had all of this stuff automated as well.

Really curious to find out if this actually works. Please let me know. Thanks guys!

Looking forward to getting this challenge rocking and rolling soon! :D

EDIT: Please refer to the bottom of the first first post! I'm moving all of these button links there.

#2 bigbear0083, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Lico Inv and Three Eyes like this.
  3. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Oh and I forgot to mention on that post above that for anyone who would like to participate on this test run of the Stockaholics portfolio challenge, please use this thread here and simply reply that would like to participate so I can then edit that Post #2 there with an individual form link for you to fill out as well. ;)

Hope to see an amazing show of participation for this inaugural run!

Three Eyes likes this.
  4. Steven_Burt

Steven_Burt Well-Known Member

I like this idea Cy, should be fun.
    I also like the fact that my button is the green one. :D

bigbear0083 likes this.
  5. rStock

rStock Active Member

CY, 10 picks, how many we allow the same with others?

6. Steven_Burt

Do Divi's count?

7. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

There was some discussion of that over in this thread, but ultimately I believe the consensus was to leave them out so that @bigbear0083 could just use the other contests as a template without any new spreadsheet design. So, unless I'm mistaken (and at the risk of overstepping my bounds), I think the answer is NO. :)

bigbear0083 and Steven_Burt like this.
  8. Steven_Burt

^^^ Sounds good, I just wanted to know. Thanks! ^^^

Three Eyes likes this.
  9. bigbear0083

Staff Member

^^ This ;)

Oh! Good question there, I guess I hadn't addressed this very well in my OP.

Any pick can be duplicated, just not all 10 picks exactly the same as another participant! :p

@rStock I take it that you will be participating in this? I'll go ahead add a Google Form button for you momentarily. :)

Three Eyes likes this.
  10. bigbear0083

Staff Member

@Lico Inv - I never got a chance to get back to you about this, but sure, if you like go ahead and give those guys on our Discord server a quick heads up about this challenge as well. Although truthfully, I'm not really sure how many of those guys we'll be able to lure in here from there, but I guess it doesn't hurt to let them know too. ;)

11. Steven_Burt

OK I'll go first.

A couple of long possible buy outs:
    INCY - LONG
    ALNY - LONG

A Cyber security:
    SYMC - LONG

Infrastructure:
    X- LONG

High growth and insiders:
    RDUS - LONG

OIL:
    MPC - LONG

A couple of shorts:
    ETSY - SHORT
    EAT - SHORT

Apartments (Cuz home prices will continue to rise) :
    BAM - LONG

Aging demographics, hospital software:
    CPSI - LONG

bigbear0083 likes this.
  12. rStock

rStock Active Member

Cool thanks CY

You’re quick Steven ... I need more time to do homework. We still have 2 weeks, right ?

fireopal likes this.
  13. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

I will play for sure and I like that we get to pick 10 stocks :D Will submit my picks a little later though ;)

bigbear0083 likes this.
  14. bigbear0083

Staff Member

yes sir! i have the deadline set for january 2nd.

you may still start making your selections now, and then change up later if you wish using the same form link on post #2. but, all 10 picks must be finalized by the market open on jan. 2nd.

we're now up to 6 participants for this challenge. nice! i suspect this # will grow as we get closer to year end. :D

remember, for anyone who is interested to participate in this, all you need to do is just post in this thread that you are interested to play so that i can create a form for you to submit your picks. ;)

15. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Hmm, I'm thinking I should probably place this at the bottom of the first post of this thread here. Easier access for everyone. :p

16. Lico Inv

Lico Inv Active Member

The markets in my opinion for 2018 have been Highly volatile and more unpredictable than I'm use to in previous years. I'm very much looking forward to Q1 2019, as well as hopefully the rest of the year- for this challenge.
    Good Luck to all. Respectful thanks to everyone for participating.

17. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Crap. I'm not sure how many of you had already filled out your Google forms for this portfolio challenge? I believe @Steven_Burt did already(?), but not sure who else did? I accidentally cleared everyone's data in the forms while I was attempting to add a field for "rationale" in the Google forms this morning. Very sorry about that!! :confused:

For anyone who did fill out the form, you'll need to submit it again. I added a new field for a place to add rationale for each pick in the form. I've made it optional so they're not required to be filled out.

Here's how the new form looks-

[​IMG]

18. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

I haven't yet, was planning to do it when we get closer to end of the year. Hopefully those who already filled the form will see this message and submit their picks again

bigbear0083 likes this.
  19. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Oh, and BTW you guys can all find the link to your individual forms at the bottom on the 1st post of this thread.

I added a form for @anotherdevilsadvocate too.

Here they all are as well-

Lico Inv likes this.
  20. Lico Inv

Lico Inv Active Member

This has been a Highly Interesting year to say the least. The stock market having the worst Christmas Eve EVER, and the Best day-after-xmas EVER pretty much sums up the volatility that was and is 2018 US Stock Market. May the rich get richer.
    Remember all, anything is possible.