Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

***TRIAL RUN: Stockaholics 2019 Quarterly Q1 Portfolio Challenge***

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

Sounds good @stock1234 and I hope anyone who had already submitted their picks via the Google form will be able to resubmit their picks again.

And once again here, for anyone who is interested to partake in this portfolio challenge and you don't see a Google form button for your name, I just simply need you guys to make a quick post to this thread here letting me know that you are interested to participate so I can go ahead and create an individual Google form button link for you guys to fill out.

Lico Inv likes this.
  2. Lico Inv

Lico Inv Active Member

2019 Q1 Picks (assuming that the possible Bear Market does not happen):
    [finalized on Dec. 27 after market close around 5pm cst]
    [in my opinion these companies are undervalued (or expensive- crox), and will bring in solid returns (including dividends on most) in the following years - regardless of 2019Q1 performance; especially following a Highly volatile 2018]

Longs:
    Financial:
    PRU
    COF
    IVZ
    Consumer Cyclical:
    DIS
    Communication Srvcs. :
    T
    CMCSA
    Healthcare:
    CELG
    Tech. :
    AAPL
    MU

Short:
    Consumer Cyclical:
    CROX

,Good luck to all
    Happy New Year! (May it be prosperous)

bigbear0083 likes this.
  3. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Hey Steve,

I'm not sure if you ever got the chance to see this post. I had a little brain fart moment the other day, and accidentally wiped clear anyone who had submitted the form for this portfolio challenge. My bad! Hope you'll get a chance to resubmit again. I added a new "rationale" field for all picks as well.

Steven_Burt likes this.
  4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Just a quick heads up to all in here that I have updated the 1st post and added an embed of the spreadsheet right into the bottom of the post.

This will come in nicely so everyone can get a quick view of this portfolio challenge without having to click on any button links to view the spreadsheet. ;)

5. bigbear0083

Staff Member

REMINDER: Today and tomorrow will be the last days to get picks submitted in here.

Again, since this format is a bit different than our other contest formats, I will need to know (preferably on this thread) if you would like to participate.

A simple "I'm in" post to this thread would be sufficient, so then I can go ahead and setup a Google form for you guys to fill out.

6. snuffalchewy

snuffalchewy Active Member

OK, add thanks

bigbear0083 likes this.
  7. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Here ya go! Let me know if there are any issues, etc. Good to have you participate! :)

[​IMG] <-- click there to submit your picks!

8. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Submitted my picks. Good luck all :D

bigbear0083 likes this.
  9. bigbear0083

Staff Member

submitted as well. will be interesting to see how this test run of this contest works out.

10. rStock

rStock Active Member

Submitted ...

11. bigbear0083

Staff Member

@rStock kicks off this first ever test run of the Stockaholics portfolio challenge with the early lead on Day #1 of the challenge!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Lico Inv

Lico Inv Active Member

Celg Buyout. ;)

Steven_Burt likes this.
  13. Lico Inv

Lico Inv Active Member

@stock1234 Hmm, Shorting $GS?? Very interesting. I have them on a couple of my watchlists for buying. They are the main laggard for DowJ in '18. I really like their EPS and growth. They have so many connections, and seem to assist in a ton of IPOs. I'm curious as to why you're shorting them.

14. stock1234

I don't like bank stocks at this moment with bond yields continue to flatten and might even inverted soon. They have already been beaten up badly though, so I could be wrong ;)

Lico Inv likes this.
  15. stock1234

I think I have AAPL long, looks like I am off to a bad start already :mad: :p

Steven_Burt likes this.
  16. Lico Inv

Lico Inv Active Member

Same. I expect a bounce-back when the smart investors buy up the discounted stock (regardless of lower sales expectations). The company is simply Too valuable to pass.

stock1234 likes this.
  17. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Hey all, I wasn't quite sure where to post this that would get y'alls attention, but I just wanted to quickly bring to everyone's attention a new Stockaholics watch list idea that I have been working on for the past several weeks. I've been using the Google Forms as a way to get members picks automatically input into my spreadsheet.

Please see this thread here for full the details-
    So, I went ahead and created several individual forms for a couple of you guys who are also in this portfolio challenge.

Members can have up to 15 stocks on their watch list.

The nice thing about this is that the form can be edited at any time. So, whenever someone needs to either add or remove a stock from their watch list, that can be done very easily.

Anyway, here are the individual form button links I set up for a couple of you guys so far, I'll add more to this later today-

@bronk

[​IMG] <-- click there to submit your watch list!

@rStock

@Steven_Burt

@anotherdevilsadvocate

@Lico Inv

@snuffalchewy

And here I have the main spreadsheet, with all the individual sheets, as well as the master sheet.

[​IMG] <-- click there to view!

I really think this watch list idea is a nice idea for the community, and I would just hate to see it go by the wayside again like the last attempt this past summer.

If there is anything that you guys think we could either add or change to make the experience more enjoyable, and meaningful, etc. for everyone, please do let me know.

I'm trying very hard to get that thread jump started if you will, and hoping it will be used a lot, just like these competition threads.

I'll try to have additional member forms setup a little later today. Admittedly, creating those individual forms does a bit of time lol.

Next up I have on the list is @snuffalchewy. Hope to have yours up on that thread soon.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think of that idea. Much appreciate it. :)

#37 bigbear0083, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  18. bigbear0083

Staff Member

FWIW, I'll be posting updates to this thread at the end of every month instead of every week. However, since we just kicked off our first ever week with this challenge I'll just go ahead and post a quick end of week update from this week.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stockaholics Q1 2019 Portfolio Challenge update as of week ending 1.4.19-

Shout out to our current leader -- @Lico Inv! :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lico Inv likes this.
  19. Steven_Burt

Steven_Burt Well-Known Member

Did anyone try a "Dogs of the DOW" portfolio? That would be an interesting comparison.

20. rStock

rStock Active Member

CY, pls close my FATE & CNAT at market closing time today. Thanks