Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

***TRIAL RUN: Stockaholics Daily Stock Picking Team Challenge***

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

***TRIAL RUN: Stockaholics Daily Stock Picking Team Challenge***
    (Read this first post for the new Stockaholics Daily Stock Picking Team Challenge)

[​IMG]

So as promised the other day, here I will be test running the team challenge idea here for next week.

PLEASE NOTE: This particular contest is only meant to act as a TRIAL run, and will not count towards anything. I just wanted to get a feel for how this will work for us for when/if we ever do decide to officially go live with this and keep records at some point in the future.

Here is how this team competition will work-

There will be 2 teams in total, with each team consisting of 3 participants. Each participant will be picking out 1 stock pick (just like our normal daily stock picking).

I will then post up the spreadsheet links where you guys will be able to see how each individual members stock picks are performing, as well as how the team is fairing as a whole in general.

In the event that a participant missed posting a pick, we would just use the same pick from the previous day, and that would ultimately be repeated each day until they come on to post a new pick for the day.

The rules for this team challenge will be setup exactly the same as our normal daily stock picking contest rules to make this process as easy as possible for everyone.

Here is just a copy & paste from our daily challenge rules:

If you want to be eligible to participate in the daily challenge here is what you need to do (REQUIRED!):
    • 1.) Post 1 ticker (ex. AAPL = Apple)
    • 2.) Choose either Long or Short (Obviously LONG = if you think it will go up ... or SHORT = if you think it will go down)
    • 3.) Your pick MUST be at least $2 at the previous day's closing price at the bare minimum! If you pick something that is under $2 then your pick will not count, and you will not be entered into the daily stock picking challenge!
    Challenge Rules (PLEASE READ THESE AND FOLLOW THEM!):
    • 1.) No OTC or IPOs.
    • 2.) No Futures, Forex, Indexes stuff like that... Equities ONLY that trade on the U.S. Stock Exchange!
    • 3.) If you don't post both the ticker AND the direction (LONG/SHORT) you won't be added to the list of contestants for the daily stock picking challenge!
    • 4.) You cannot duplicate someone's exact pick!
    • 5.) Picks absolutely MUST be posted in here before 4AM eastern time the day of the contest!
    • 6.) You are NOT allowed to pick any leveraged ETFs/ETNs (2x/3x). If you choose one, it will not count. If incorrect picks go un-noticed, you risk your position being forfeited!
    • 7.) RATIONALE - You may post up a rationale (either technical or fundamental) for your pick but it is not required. This is optional for everyone. Members who do post up a rationale for their pick will receive an additional 2 points in the members leaderboard.
    • 8.) Please DO NOT EDIT your original post with your pick! If you absolutely must choose another pick, please use a separate post and state that you are changing your original pick to something else!
    • 9.) You may choose to close out your pick at any time during the trading day. PLEASE POST YOUR OWN CLOSING PRICE! We will be using the intraday 1 minute closing price using the time stamp of your post on Stockaholics for when you closed out your pick. You will need to state the price & the time of when you closed out. I will be confirming that your closing price is correct by looking at the 1 min. intraday chart. If it is not correct, I will then post up your correct price and input that into the live spreadsheet.
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and if anyone sees someone else messing up, please correct them. Also, please look at your positions after I post the spreadsheets. I try to catch mistakes, in and out of my control, but need your help in making sure the information is accurate.

Remember...the challenge starts at the opening bell on Monday, September 10th!

2. bigbear0083

Staff Member

The spreadsheets aren't live yet but this will be the link we will use for the team challenge-

[​IMG] <-- click there to view!

I'll edit this post with a workable button link once the spreadsheet is live.

All questions go here!

3. bigbear0083

Staff Member

i think we can use tomorrow as a quick tester, before using next week as the official trial run.

as i posted on the other thread, it's completely option to you guys if you want to use the same pick that you submit on the regular daily stock picking thread, or if you want to use an entirely different pick for the team competition.

also, if you missed my post on the other thread, this is how we'll be pairing up the teams-

[​IMG]

4. bigbear0083

Staff Member

^^ scratch that! it won't actually be necessary to run a quick test for tomorrow.

what i can do is just use today's daily picks and throw them up on a test spreadsheet for you guys to get a quick visual for how this looks.

here is how team #1 spreadsheet would look using today's picks-
    (you will notice that i'm using the same exact spreadsheet that we use for our regular daily picking spreadsheet)
    [​IMG]

and here is team #2-
    [​IMG]

and finally here is the main "results" sheet-
    [​IMG]

stock1234 likes this.
  5. rStock

rStock Active Member

Love team 2 @ 3pm. All green ...

6. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

Looks good Cy :D

7. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Here is Monday's daily team challenge spreadsheet in case I'm unable to get around to it later tomorrow-

NOTE: *Ignore the current "opening prices" as those will automatically correct to tomorrow's opening prices after 9:30am eastern time.*

Good luck to all of our participants in here for tomorrow! :cool:

@bigbear0083

NOTE: I am just posting up tomorrow's spreadsheet a little earlier than usual in here as I have a pretty busy day ahead of me for tomorrow. I will continue adding members picks up until 4am eastern time tomorrow morning so don't think you are excluded from tomorrow's challenge if I haven't listed your name up right now. I just wanted to get this spreadsheet posted in here and out of the way so I don't have to worry about getting it up at a later time tomorrow. ;)

Here is the team challenge bracket-

Remember, if you guys have any questions about anything regarding this team competition, post them here!

8. ApexC

ApexC Active Member

Team 2 looks strong, good luck team 1

9. rStock

rStock Active Member

CY, do we need to sign up?

10. bigbear0083

Staff Member

nope, no sign up required! i've already setup the teams as outlined in this post here.

basically how this will work is that i will be pulling everyone's daily picks from the normal daily threads, however you may use a different pick for the team competition if you wish as i had mentioned here.

if you do decide that you wanted to use a different pick for the team competition, just simply use this thread here to post your pick. otherwise, i will just assume that you want to use the same pick from the normal daily thread for the team competition as well.

hopefully that all made sense, but if you're still confused or have any other questions let me know.

hey @ApexC great to see you back in the mix again.

ApexC - i'm not sure if you will be around this week? but, i was thinking of including you for our trial run of the team competition this week.

you're probably thinking, well how is that possible since we would end up with an odd amount of contestants.

this is true, but i was thinking of sitting this one out and just adding you to team #1 instead.

so the teams would look something like this:

TEAM #1
    @ApexC
    @stock1234
    @Ken34

TEAM #2
    @rStock
    @emmett kelly
    @anotherdevilsadvocate

let me know if you would be up for this. if not, that's fine. but i just thought i would put this out there just in case.

i think it would be awesome to have you joining on our trial run this week. :)

11. rStock

rStock Active Member

Team 2 looks strong now ... best luck on my team ... :)
    Wish we have one more contestant ... Thanks CY

bigbear0083 likes this.
  12. bigbear0083

Staff Member

i agree!

i'll bump this thread again in case someone happens to stumble across this tonight and is interested to join us on this week's trial run.

if not no worries, we'll still give this thing a test run this week with the setup that i've already come up with.

gl to both teams this week! this should be some fun. :D

13. bigbear0083

Staff Member

ok, someone in the live chat this morning was asking me this question, so i figured i'd respond in this thread.

i guess i didn't really explain that well how a team would ultimately win this competition.

so, as you guys know i'm using the combined members return on picks to determine a winning team for each day. obviously, with whichever team has the higher combined return over the other wins that day.

i think the confusion that some people might be having here is that they think that i'm using the total return for the teams for the whole week to determine the winner.

that is actually not how i am doing this here.

we are instead using daily wins, like in a bracket tournament to determine the winner. in this case being a best of 5 series, with whichever team takes the first 3 daily wins comes out on top as the winner of this team competition.

hence this bracket link that i keep posting in here-

does that make sense?

again, we're not going by the total combined return for the week for each team to determine the winner, but rather by daily team wins, with the team winning the first 3 daily wins would take this competition.

anotherdevilsadvocate likes this.
  14. rStock

rStock Active Member

Got it CY, team 2 lead Monday ...

bigbear0083 likes this.
  15. bigbear0083

Staff Member

whelp, i'm pretty much draggin' my team down bigly today with my shit pick. no surprises i guess. sorry team 1! :(

meanwhile, team 2 killin' it today nice work guys. :D

16. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Congratulations to Monday's daily stock picking team challenge winner, TEAM #2! :cool:

[​IMG]

Here was today's final daily stock pick team challenge results for the winner (TEAM #2)-
    [​IMG]

...and here was TEAM #1 results-
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view Monday's full team contest spreadsheet results-

TEAM #2 opens up with a 1-0 series lead in this best of 5 series match-up this week!

[​IMG]

Click the button below to view the daily stock picking team challenge bracket-

GLTA for tomorrow! :D

17. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Here is Tuesday's daily team challenge spreadsheet in case I'm unable to get around to it later tomorrow-

NOTE: *Ignore the current "opening prices" as those will automatically correct to tomorrow's opening prices after 9:30am eastern time.*

@bigbear0083

NOTE: I am just posting up tomorrow's spreadsheet a little earlier than usual in here as I have a pretty busy day ahead of me for tomorrow. I will continue adding members picks up until 4am eastern time tomorrow morning so don't think you are excluded from tomorrow's challenge if I haven't listed your name up right now. I just wanted to get this spreadsheet posted in here and out of the way so I don't have to worry about getting it up at a later time tomorrow. ;)

18. bigbear0083

Staff Member

nice recovery for team #1 today :D

if these results should hold through today's market close then that'll guarantee this trial run going at least 4 games :p

i'm kinda hoping we have a winner decided by then, i'm really not too sure if i will even be around if there is a game 5 on friday, since i have no idea what my situation is going to be like with this hurricane barreling down on us here in the carolina's. o_O

19. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Congratulations to Tuesday's daily stock picking team challenge winner, TEAM #1! :cool:

[​IMG]

Here was today's final daily stock pick team challenge results for the winner (TEAM #1)-
    [​IMG]

...and here was TEAM #2 results-
    [​IMG]

The series is now tied at 1-1 in this best of 5 series match-up this week!

[​IMG]

GLTA in Game 3 tomorrow! :D

20. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Here is Wednesday's daily team challenge spreadsheet in case I'm unable to get around to it later tomorrow-