Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

***TRIAL RUN: Stockaholics Weekly T/A Charting Challenge (12/10-12/14)***

Cy's official Stockaholics thread archives group.

?

How do you see this week's chart closing for the week?

Poll closed Monday at 10:03 AM.
  1. Up.

33.3%
  2. Down.

66.7%
  1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

***TRIAL RUN: Stockaholics Weekly T/A Charting Challenge (12/10-12/14)***
    (Read this first post for the new Stockaholics Weekly T/A Charting Challenge!)

[​IMG]

So as was discussed here, we are going to be trying out a new challenge for next week to spice up the competitions a bit on Stockaholics, and make these a bit more fun, interesting and most importantly educational for everyone!

Here is how this new contest works:

1.) Participants will take turns each week to post up a chart.

2.) Participants (including the chart picker) will need to then vote on the direction of the chart for the week (starting points from Friday's close), and will have up until 9:30am eastern time on the first trading day of the week. There will be a new poll up for each new week. Members who correctly predict the direction (Up or Down) of the chart by week's end will receive 10 points in the members leaderboard for that week.

3.) Members who also provide some rationale for their direction vote (this can be brief) will be awarded another 2 points in the members leaderboard.

4.) Members who simply "participate" in the challenge will receive 1 point for the week.

Remember...the chart direction poll closes at the opening bell on the first trading day of the new week! So try to get those votes in ASAP!

So, w/o getting into further ado have at it with the T/A on this week's charting challenge!

(Chart to be posted in here sometime after the market closes on Friday.)

Click the button below to view the 2018 Stockaholics T/A Charting Challenge Member Voting Record-
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to view the 2018 Stockaholics T/A Charting Challenge Members Leaderboard-
    [​IMG]

Three Eyes likes this.
  2. Steven_Burt

Steven_Burt Well-Known Member

This is a six month daily chart? For me time frame is super important to TA. Hard to tell not knowing if there is resistance right above or if there is headline risks coming like earnings

But purely based on trend, the ma's and volume patterns I would say up.

anotherdevilsadvocate likes this.
  3. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Haha, oh no, that chart up there is just the logo I'm using for this new contest thread! Disregard that entirely. :p

I haven't posted up the chart yet...

This contest format is going to be a bit different than what we had running in here earlier in the year as was mentioned here.

These are not going to be mystery charts any longer. Just purely a T/A charting challenge.

In fact, I was going to ask who here would like to get the ball rolling on this next week's trial run?

Who'd like to get the first chart posted in here?

We'll be using Friday's closing prices as the starting points for the contest.

Three Eyes likes this.
  4. Steven_Burt

lol, sorry CY. I would give it a shot if you want.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  5. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

LOL I think the logo gets Steve's seal of approval.

Maybe TSLA or SHOP?

Steven_Burt and bigbear0083 like this.
  6. bigbear0083

Staff Member

Awesome. :D

So, basically how this will work is that you'll just simply post your chart in here after Friday's market close (it's not a mystery challenge so you can leave everything visible on your chart), and then participants will need to guess the weekly direction (up or down), and also add a rationale (although that's optional for everyone, but anyone who does post a rationale will get an extra point in the member's leaderboard).

Eventually, once we get a list of participants for this challenge I'll come up with a weekly order with who gets to post a new chart for the week.

Right now we have 3 participants, so it would be-
    I'm hoping this list will grow as people discover this new challenge.

Three Eyes and Steven_Burt like this.
  7. bigbear0083

Staff Member

hey steve, i totally forgot to bump this thread after the close today :p

you can still post your chart in here over the weekend.

hoping we see a nice show of participation for this trial run. :D

8. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 Well-Known Member

I will also try to guess the direction of Steve's or whoever's chart.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  9. Three Eyes

Three Eyes Well-Known Member

I'm in, too!

bigbear0083 likes this.
  10. Steven_Burt

LOl sorry CY, I didn't know you had picked me this week...working on one now.

11. Steven_Burt

Chart is 1yr day
    ticker: RAMP
    I drew on it a bit and put up the technical data from finviz.

ramp.png

ramp2.png

bigbear0083 likes this.
  12. Steven_Burt

CY - Do I put my guess/rational in as well?

13. bigbear0083

Staff Member

yes sir!

i'll edit my first post and add that chart pickers can also vote on the weekly direction and post rationale on their own chart.

thx for kicking this off Steve! lookin' forward to seeing how this goes in here this week. :D

Steven_Burt likes this.
  14. Steven_Burt

So I'll put in my two cents here. The price a 3%+ move down on over 5x's normal volume on Friday right into the lower channel and closed LOD. It's a low float stock and since they tend to makes multiple day moves in conjunction with the other bearish conditions I just listed I expect the stock to break the lower trend line and possibly the lower price support around 44.20. If 44.20 is broken, stops will start to kick in and that will cause more selling. if it doesn't break 44.20 I would expect it to bounce there and retest resistance before selling off again. Any open and close back into the channel after it breaks would negate the trade imo.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  15. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 Well-Known Member

It's a tricky one Steven. The company announced on November 13th a "modified Dutch auction" to buy back $500M worth of stock between 44.50 and 49.00. That appears to have contained the stock in that range. On Tuesday, they announced they were extending the offer to 5 pm of December 13th, this coming Thursday. Seems like if its going to move significantly, it will do it on Friday.

Steven_Burt likes this.
  16. Three Eyes

Agree with Onepoint272 that it is likely range-bound through Thursday. My view is that it is the buy-back that is keeping it artificially above 44.5, and that the volume portends a free-fall after the brakes are disengaged.

So I'm voting down.

bigbear0083 and Steven_Burt like this.
  17. bigbear0083

Staff Member

i'm voting down on ramp for this week as well.

btw fellas, just wanted to quickly point out that i went ahead and created a weekly members voting record spreadsheet (just like the one's i use for our market direction polls) for these t/a chart challenges as well. i figured if we're gonna get serious with this new game, might as well go all out with it.

i've added this button link to the bottom of my first post of this thread here.

Click the button below to view the 2018 Stockaholics T/A Charting Challenge Member Voting Record-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and of course here is the weekly members leaderboard.

Click the button below to view the 2018 Stockaholics T/A Charting Challenge Members Leaderboard-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i think there is some real potential to make these fun in 2019.

let me know what y'all think.

Steven_Burt and Three Eyes like this.
  18. Three Eyes

It's starting to look official --- looks good! Thanks for reviving (and improving!) this contest!

bigbear0083 likes this.
  19. bigbear0083

Staff Member

thx @Three Eyes!

btw, how's the point system in the leaderboards looking here?

y'all mostly cool with this?

[​IMG]

oh and also, for anyone who is participating, make sure cast your weekly votes on the poll at the top of this thread, and also post your votes to this thread as well!

i just want to make sure i have everyone's weekly votes added to my newest members voting records spreadsheet ;)

Onepoint272 likes this.
  20. Three Eyes

Aye!

bigbear0083 likes this.