US Broker for day/swing trading

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by Alf, May 11, 2018.

1. Alf

Alf New Member

Hi,

I'd like to keep my trading away from my investment portfolio (Schwab) under a different broker(age). Am I correct in thinking that no one beats Robinhood? Only TD Ameritrade gets pretty good? Is there anything better than Robinhood?

2. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

@Alf

I have been using Robinhood and Tasyworks.
    Both are good on commissions, but you really need to use another broker for charts, or charts that you are familiar with.
    Robinhood and Tasyworks charts are pretty basic.

3. Alf

Alf New Member

Appreciate your reply. Some use TD Ameritrade for charts (requires a $50 deposit) and then Robinhood for trading on his phone.

Just a thought. What do you think of a combination of finviz, tradingview, stockcharts for analysis?

4. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I use primarily TradingView for my charting purposes these days. Although the "volume" bug has been extremely annoying. I know @Onepoint272 has also been getting annoyed with the fact that volume is incorrect.

EDIT: I hadn't looked in like 4 days and it appears they may have fixed the volume bars.

5. Alf

Alf New Member

What indicators do you use? If VWAP is one of them, I can see how volume bug can be a headache. There is also stockcharts.com and http://www.freestockcharts.com/. The former provides only daily/weekly and the latter works on Internet Explorer only.

6. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Nah, I mainly just use the more simple indicators. MA's, BB's, RSI. Volume is always important though, and for a week or two they were not showing accurate volume at all.

Alf likes this.
  7. Alf

Alf New Member

I do not blame you ;-) Some also like MACD and even MFI.

On MA's, I have been experimenting with EMA 38 or 50 and 150 or 200. Which parameters have you found helpful?

8. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I have MACD on my charts but rarely look at it to be honest.

I use 20SMA, 50SMA, and 200SMA, but I'm a somewhat longer-term swing trader. Most of my trades last for a few weeks to 6 months or so...

Alf likes this.