WGO - Winnebago Industries

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by T0rm3nted, Apr 8, 2016.

1. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Winnebago Industries Inc. (WGO) is a manufacturer of motor homes, a type of recreational vehicle or RV, in the United States. It is based in Forest City, Iowa.

The company was founded by Forest City businessman John K. Hanson in February 1958. At the time, the town, located in Winnebago County, Iowa, was undergoing an economic downturn, so Hanson and a group of community leaders convinced a California firm, Modernistic Industries, to open a travel trailer factory in a bid to revive the local economy.

Surviving a rough beginning, the entire operation was purchased by five Midwesterners, with Hanson serving as president. In 1960 the name of the company was changed to Winnebago Industries. To improve quality, Winnebago Industries manufactured furniture and other components designed specifically for its travel trailers. One such innovation was the "Thermo-Panel", a strong, lightweight sidewall that was a characteristic of Winnebago products.

In 1966 the first motor home rolled off the Winnebago Industries assembly lines. These motor homes were sold at a price approximately half of what was being charged for competitors' models, which led to its ubiquity and popularity in the RV community. The brand name has become synonymous with "motor home" and is commonly used as a generic trademark for such vehicles, whether they were produced by the company or not.

Through the 1970s and into the 1980s model names were influenced by the Native American tribe of the same name and included the Brave, the Indian, the Chieftain, and the Warrior. Older Winnebago RVs are often recognizable by the painted "w" (also called the "flying W") on the side of the vehicle, with a stripe that connects the front and back of the camper.

In 1973, the company introduced a new model, the Minnie Winnie, built on the Dodge B-series van chassis. It was about 19-1/2 feet (5.9 m) long (despite the name, longer than the shortest contemporary Brave model). Longer models were added through the years. This model continued (using Chevrolet or Ford chassis after 1980) until the name was retired after the 2006 model year, when at 30 feet (9.1 m), it was not exactly "mini" anymore. As gas prices went up over time, the company made smaller models available, such as the "Winnie Wagon", with a low profile and pop-top.

The company also developed a line of smaller units slightly larger than a passenger van, built using various bodies and powerplants from two European automobile and truck manufacturers. The LeSharo was based on the Renault Trafic van with a 2.2 L 4-cylinder motor, and the "Rialta" had a Volkswagen Transporter (T4) (a.k.a. "EuroVan") cab, the 2.5-liter 5-cylinder motor, 2.8-liter VR6 with 140 BHP or 2.8 V6 engine with 201 BHP. Distinct from the "Rialta", Volkswagen contracted to have the camper conversions of the T4 be done by Winnebago Industries, a radical departure from using the Germany-based Westfalia company that had become famous for building the VW Type 2 campmobile models from the 1950s through 1991. This tradition continues today with Winnebago's use of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter and Fiat Ducato chassis.

In December 2010 Winnebago Industries entered a new chapter when the company purchased SunnyBrook RV, re-entering the towable manufacturing market for the first time since 1983.

In March 2015, Winnebago announced that it was opening a production center to employ 70 in Waverly, Iowa, due to labor shortage issues in the Forest City area.[4] The company now employs about 2,400 workers in Forest City, 200 in Charles City and 60 in Lake Mills, plus additional employees in Middlebury, Indiana.

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Reported before open today (6/22/16)
    Earnings: EPS $0.53 Revenue $272.1M
    Estimates: EPS $0.46 Revenue $270M

Up 6.20% yesterday

3. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Ex-Div-Date: 7/11/16
    Payment Date: 7/27/16
    Dividend: $0.10
    Current Price: $22.53
    Annual Yield: 1.78%

4. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Upcoming dividend information:

Ex-Div-Date
    : 11/7/16
    Payment Date: 11/23/16
    Dividend: $0.10
    Current Price: $29.25
    Annual Yield: 1.37%

5. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Getting smashed on back-to-back days for the third time in the last 5 weeks. Intraday down 10%.
    One of Cramer's faves along with THO as part of his experiential generation.
    [​IMG]

6. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Woof, that's rough. Looks like this is the reason:

Winnebago, Thor Industries Trigger Sell Signal As Analyst Says RV Inventories 'Unsustainable'
    Source: https://www.investors.com/news/winn...as-analyst-says-rv-inventories-unsustainable/

Just entered oversold territory. Wouldn't mind taking a shot on this one if it consolidates at this level for a bit as the 200MA approaches and acts as support. I'll keep an eye on it!

7. Syynik

Syynik Well-Known Member

Well, hadn't even thought of this one when I was looking for RV/Camping related stocks.

8. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

There are some gigantic RV lots out here in LaLa Land. The question that always pops in my head when I drive by them is do they actually sell them all? What happens to the ones they don't sell?

9. Syynik

Syynik Well-Known Member

I live in a resort area. I see the most ridiculously luxury-RVs parked here, I'm 99% sure those are rentals (different state plates, nearly identical)

My interest is people down-down-downsizing out of necessity.

I also own ELS, an RV-centered REIT as well as Camping World Holdings and Newell brands.

Edit: I occasionally ponder the used RV market. In an area nearby, there are people who rent out their driveways and side yards to people who park these things. You can also see the occasional Craigslist ad offering them for rent "Own Studio! Private Entrance And Bath!" -shows a parked 5-wheeler.

emmett kelly likes this.
  10. Syynik

Syynik Well-Known Member

So, this is an ATH for WGO. It also has a dividend. I'm watching this one. I have a dividend-heavy ROTH IRA so for sure would plunk some into that.