What are the best websites to rate a stock?

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by Bruce Wright, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Bruce Wright

Bruce Wright New Member

What are the best websites to rate a stock?

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Could you elaborate more on what you're looking for? What do you mean "rate" a stock?

3. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

I think what you're looking for is an analyst

Analysts are only guessing, just like we are... Some guess better than others, but if they were reliable, then all their ratings would be the same (they're not)

Zacks and The Motley Fool are probably the most popular.. But they kept bugging me to pay money, so I quit reading their emails

I like Yahoo Finance for fundamentals.. There you can see the numbers with your own eyes and give the stock your own rating

They also give average ratings and targets from multiple analysts so you can have an overall view of what the "professionals" think

#3 Jrich, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  4. Bruce Wright

Bruce Wright New Member

I use IBD and Zacks all the time.

Yahoo Finance does not always work well.

So I need a third website.

5. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Yahoo Finance just prints the numbers... Not sure what you mean by "doesn't always work well"

But if you like other people's opinions, try Seaking Alpha.... Instant notifications for news, analyst articles and upgrades/downgrades relevant to any stock on your list

But ask yourself this question... In a game that revolves around money, can you really "trust" anyone to rate a stock for you?

I take everything I read with a grain of salt.... It's all relevant one way or another, weather it's truthful or not

6. Bruce Wright

Bruce Wright New Member

I'm looking for a website that rates stocks with numbers.

7. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

That's easy, GOLDMAN SACHS. only kidding. By number do you mean dollar value per share, book value, net asset value?? If you could be more specific maybe someone could help dial you in.

8. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I don't know about best, but there's http://beststocksnowapp.com/

Click the "Stocks" tab at the top and scroll down to "By Ranking", if you want to do some general searching.
    Or specifically search using the "Search" tab.
    Where IBD will give you percentiles, and ranks within sectors, this site ranks "all" stocks without sector stratification.

And if you really get into ranking, there's https://www.barchart.com/stocks/top-100-stocks

9. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Like @Jrich alluded to, just remember, analysts have their own agendas. I'm sure on some stocks they give honest ratings. But if you knew of a stock you liked, and all you had to do was downgrade it to Sell to get a much better price before you got in, would you be able to stop yourself? Or if some billionaire hedge fund offered you 6 digits to downgrade a stock to sell so that they can get a better price to get in on their multi-million dollar purchase, would you be able to refuse that either? Analysts are fairly useless to be honest, and really the only reason to watch them is to see why stocks you are invested in or watching are going up or down, but not to get a good idea about how "good" a stock actually is.

Jrich likes this.