What would you be trading/investing today and why?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

What would you be trading/investing today and why?

[​IMG]

Full credit and shout out goes out to @ApexC for what I think is a pretty nice thread idea here on Stockaholics.

The premise of this thread is to exchange trading and/or investing thoughts and ideas and sharing them with the Stockaholics community. These could be short-term trade ideas and/or long-term investments.

Let's put it this way -- this thread is for just about everyone.

I know we already have existing threads on the forums right now for what stocks members are currently looking at, as well as a portfolio thread, but those threads don't seem to gather much input from members as their not quite focused on exchanging trading and investing thoughts and ideas.

I think this thread here would probably serve much better for that very purpose.

So, without getting into further ado, let's hear those trading/investing ideas you guys might have right now and if possible give a rationale as to why.

Again, these can be short-term and/or long-term ideas.

Thank you again to @ApexC for this cool thread idea! :)

2. Stockaholic

Well energy has had a nice pullback in the past couple of weeks and could be looking attractive here with oil having done something its never done in history (12 day losing streak earlier this week). Anyone liking any of the energy names in particular down here? I think @OldFart was our resident energy expert. Hoping he see's this post. :p

3. ApexC

ApexC Active Member

gh.png Everyone has their own ideas on what makes something a worthwhile investment. During down-trends or highly volatile market conditions it becomes even harder to find the perfect place to put your money.

One of the best investments I have found is UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (UNH). So far it has been a predictable and steady climber. This is were invest today.
    This is the weekly chart.

4. Stockaholic

^^ a very nice kickoff to this thread @ApexC and thank you for sharing that in here. ;) hopefully we'll see some others finding their way to this thread and chiming in as well.

5. ApexC

ApexC Active Member

6. Auri

Auri Well-Known Member

7. ApexC

ApexC Active Member

uy.png Might be a good exit point

Stockaholic likes this.
  8. internationalstocks

internationalstocks Active Member

My second trade today was the worst this week. I had bought back in again on the dip for the SPY Calls at $3.55 but thought market may correct and sold at $3.6 now the price is way over $6.3. I had 40 of those calls too :(

Don’t know what got into my head this morning.

FBA2B6F9-3B55-446A-B7B0-559E24258550.jpeg

3E227317-F42D-48AB-AB70-52715C76A0CE.jpeg

9. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

This is one of my faves, too, both as a trader and a long-term hold. Got a little pop today. Timely call @ApexC !

Stockaholic likes this.
  10. Three Eyes

You woulda kicked yourself even harder if Powell had said something hinky this morning and SPY crumbled! Even your "bad" trades add to the experience and are, overall, for the betterment of your skill.

11. ApexC

ApexC Active Member

hzo-1.png I am not on the bandwagon yet but I am watching HZO. Looking for a buy in of $19.75 or sign of a reversal.

12. internationalstocks

Another kick for myself today.. I watched the $272.50 SPY calls I bought at $4 and sold them at $4.20 only to watch them shoot up to $5 after. I am going to just stick with the 5% daily goal and try to be happy with that.
    D2EB96E7-E5D4-402A-AEE0-63EE04987DEF.jpeg

13. Three Eyes

I dunno, that's a tough one. Reviewing the daily for SPY, once it recovered it's opening price between 11:30 and noon but also not punching through that price resistance, it would have been hard NOT to sell. On the other hand, SPY bounced off 272.50 twice between 10:40 and 11:20, with pretty good jump up on volume, which might have given some confidence to at least stick around a bit longer to see what the afternoon would bring...

internationalstocks likes this.
  14. ApexC

ApexC Active Member

I would rather sell for less then I could have made then hang on, only to end up selling for less than I planned. I set a sell price and sell at least half. Then I can hang on to the other half if I decide to and try for more with less risk.

internationalstocks likes this.
  15. internationalstocks

For the daily contest I figured market would finish up today so I bought the dips today. Now all closed out and done for today

First trade was for 30 contracts and second was for 50 contracts. Seemed to me like resistance was around $3.6 mark.
    BAEF0341-351E-427F-924E-98D160BB5D13.jpeg
    22D60445-8D83-4F70-A1A2-36B9B1197CFD.jpeg

Another options Day for me. Sold early as usual but made money. Had bought 50 at 3.6 and set sell price to 4 but then changed it to 3.8 before changing it 3.75 and after I changed it they got executed and took off from there :mad:
    479AFFE3-2245-45BE-8FE7-5D4C0C83BCE6.jpeg

Stockaholic likes this.
  16. ApexC

ApexC Active Member

What would you be investing in today? Nothing, seems like the safest bet is wait for the drop to complete and than buy back your favorites.

17. ApexC

ApexC Active Member

juju.png I will be watching these two next week, I am hoping at least one will enter the buy zone.

18. ApexC

ApexC Active Member

Bought UNH today at $261.50, hope it starts going back up now.

19. Three Eyes

I'm still watching UNH. Particularly eyeing a possible divergence signal between OBV and the price action. Would have been really nice if OBV had followed with new highs to match the price.

Screenshot 2018-12-10 at 4.09.04 PM.png

20. ApexC

ApexC Active Member

This is one of the reasons I didn't go all in. I held back some in case the price continued to fall. Right now up over 3.5 % in a day, works for me. I am hoping it gets up around $285 in the 5 or 6 days. I will have to wait and see.

Three Eyes likes this.