Which stock charts are real time?

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by frobot, May 10, 2016.

1. frobot

frobot New Member

I am just starting to learn about the stock market and this is something that I just can't find a solid answer for.
    Can you find free stock graphs that are real time? (at least one minute intervals or less)
    I have read things that imply yes and no. I have looked around quite a bit and I can compare which graphs update the fastest, but still have no way of knowing if it is updating in real time without comparing it to something that I know for sure is in real time.
    One of the main things that has confused me is that I have been playing with the stock simulator on investopedia, and when you put in an order it is delayed 20 minutes. They say it is to make it fair since some people might have stock quotes in real time, and the graphs they provide are delayed 20 minutes. But if real time graphs are freely available... wouldn't everyone have access to it and therefore not be an unfair advantage?
    Also on a side note - Does anyone know of a stock simulator that doesn't have the 20 minute order delay? I am trying to learn higher frequency trading and test out a neural network I am developing.

T0rm3nted and Tiptopptrader like this.
  2. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

3. frobot

frobot New Member

Thanks for your reply. I have come across both of these websites in my searching. But again, if real time data is freely available I don't understand why stock market simulation games always delay your orders.

4. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I have never used it, but I was reading the FAQ for "How The Market Works" trading game and it sounds like it may be real time. Quote below:

Link - http://www.howthemarketworks.com/

5. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Tradingview.com, the source of the Live Charts on this site, is live for stocks and free and has become my favorite. I've compared them to TorS and Scottrade Elite and they are real close; maybe a few seconds delay. However the futures quotes are delayed 15 or 20 minutes unless you pay for a feed.

I don't know if they have a simulator, but I am fond of the script language they've developed, which is also free. You might check it out to see if it would be useful for what you're trying to do.

#5 Onepoint272, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Gray Wolf likes this.
  6. frobot

frobot New Member

I checked this out and so far I like it the best. They do fill your order at the real time price, but you don't get to see the price you bought/sold for until 20 minutes later. Much more "high frequency friendly" than the one on investopedia.

7. DoveJohns

DoveJohns Active Member

Try "stock wars" app. It is a similar virtual stock game. As far as I know its real time but to be honest I dont pay attention to it that much. So I might be wrong