Will the Chicago Cubs finally end their 100+ year curse by winning the World Series title this year?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Stockaholic, Aug 28, 2016.

?

Will the Cubs finally end the curse of the Billy Goat this season?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2016.
  1. Yes! This is definitely the Cubs year!

50.0%
  2. Nope. No WS title for the Cubbies AGAIN this year...

50.0%
  1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

serious question here ... but is this curse ever going to end??? :eek:

[​IMG]

as we're fast approaching the end of the 2016 MLB regular season, and with the Cubs atop the N.L. Central and best record in the majors (yes, really!!) have a look for yourself! -

[​IMG]
    ______________________________________________________________________________________

[​IMG]

what could possibly go wrong?

[​IMG]

ahhh, i see ... i understand completely cubs fans! really i do lol (okay, nevermind! so i don't! but i feel your pain! :D)

well, let's not think about the past failures and just look ahead to the post-season (and hopefully the fall classic to boot???) and let's beat down that curse of the billy goat once and for all this fall!!

what say you guys?

LET'S GO CUBS!!! Time to put away this 107 year championship drought once and for all ! :cool:

first things first, let's end that 70 year old N.L. pennant drought! and that could very well be a reality this season!

#1 Stockaholic, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, we're gonna win it all this year!

Stockaholic likes this.
  3. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

I am not the Cubs haters but I voted No. Good luck though, I wouldn't mind to see the Cubs winning it all this year ;)

4. Stockaholic

Man, the Cubs are really kicking butt this regular season ... best record in the majors up to this point and are just killing the competition ... could this really be their year finally.....??? Time for this dang curse to fall by the wayside man! This has gone long enough. Time to forgive everyone involved in this curse ... If you're ever out there and reading this Mr. Bartman you are forgiven if the Cubs finally break this 100+ year WS championship drought to win it all this year! Come back to the Windy City for some drinks! :D

5. Stockaholic

ha! i completely forgot all about this poll! :eek:

whelp ... the longest championship drought in professional sports history finally came to an end last night! in what will go down as (in my humbled opinion anyway...) the greatest game that was ever played in mlb history! grats to the cubs on their first world series title in 108 years!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

6. Stockaholic

just wanted to quote this ... but i seriously hope all is forgotten in the windy city! would be awesome to see bartman attend the cubs ticker tape parade

7. Stockaholic

...and finally this can be put the rest..........thank gawd

r.i.p. billy goat!

[​IMG]

8. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I think the curse transferred to me.

9. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Congrats Cubs fans. I was wrong on it lol. I thought the Cubs were the best team in the regular season, but thought another team would get hot in October :p

10. Stockaholic

Here is a look at what was happening in the world the last time the Chicago Cubs won the World Series in 1908-
    • The Cubs beat the Detroit Tigers on October 14, 1908 in five games to win the World Series. They didn’t win another World Series until last night, the longest championship drought in U.S. sports history.
    • The United States was coming off the 1907 Banker’s Panic (or Knickerbocker Crisis). In October 1907, there was a three-week period when the New York Stock Exchange was nearly cut in half from its peak the previous year. Sparking the crisis was a run on banks and trust companies, which could have been much worse had financial giant J.P. Morgan not pledged significant amounts of his own money and convinced other New York bankers to do the same.
    • The Dow dropped 38% in 1907 after the crisis, but rebounded nicely to gain 46% in 1908.
    • The Dow closed at 81.54 the day the Cubs won the World Series in 1908. It closed at 17,959.64 last night. That comes out to a gain of 21,925.6% between championships (not including dividends).
    • Should the Dow gain that again before the next Cubs World Series, the Dow will be trading at 3,955,710!
    Other events from 1908:
    • The first Ford Model T was launched for $850 ($21,100 in today’s dollars).
    • A ball dropped for the first time in Times Square to signify a new year.
    • A 46th star was added to the flag, representing Oklahoma.
    • The Harvard Business School started.
    • Mother’s Day was observed for the first time.
    • The first credit union and first upright vacuum were created.
    • Republican William Howard Taft defeated Democrat William Jennings Bryan to become the 27th President of the United States.