You in favor of 6 months earnings instead of 3?

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by emmett kelly, Aug 22, 2018.

?

You in favor of changing earnings to every 6 months?

Poll closed Aug 22, 2019.
  1. yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. no

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. undecided

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. go back to bed emmett

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

Been some chatter recently about allowing companies to report earnings every six month instead of the current three month regulation.

2. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I'm in favor of slightly reduced reporting but I don't think it's a big deal. The benefit of less frequent reporting is less parasitic activity on the market. The benefit of more frequent reporting is increased visibility into companies which may reduce the temptation for executives to do bad things.

Either way is fine with me. Certainly, annual would not be enough and more than quarterly would be ridiculous.

3. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I agree. I think quarterly reports are good for companies that are new, or taking a turn into a new business (such as DIS will be doing with streaming). More frequent reporting makes it harder to cover things up (and claim you weren't deliberately doing so).

For a company like Berkshire, they could get away with reporting once a year.

That's my feeling. So I voted no in this poll, why change things now? It's not broke. It's probably true that some companies could do less frequently, but why make a bunch of trouble to make some new regulations?

TomB16 likes this.
  4. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I'm in total agreement, it depends on the industry.