AMD - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Stockaholic, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

ER could be interesting for NVDA. If they beat it should push the semi's up. More importantly would be if the ER shows a decrease in sales on the low end of the there Graphic cards thus loss of market share.
    NVDA is a great company but let the gaurded facts come out...TTT

2. Tiptopptrader

I could not find my previous post but there was supposed to be some kind of announcement due on Aug 12th from a convention I think it was. It was be perfect timing if it is news worthy on the coat tails of NVDA's earnings.

AMD did pick up a small spark in AH, up 3 cents on heavy volume.

3. Tiptopptrader

Foresaken likes this.
  4. Tiptopptrader

Nice change up AMD threw at the market creating a bull trap. It was up on the market open and stayed that way until market pressure caused it to drop and trade flat line. Then the buyers came in and pushed the price back up.

I am not sure if the news I was waiting could have been the PC Monitor deal with Lenovo. It will put a few bucks toward the Q3. I have not read the ER for NVDA but they brought in mucho money on their high end graphic cards as AMD is doing on the low end.

Not oversold yet and this would be a good time to push back to the $7 level and higher. Let's hope for good market conditions next week.

upload_2016-8-12_21-12-54.png

5. Tiptopptrader

This must have been the expected announcement

VRLA: Where Hollywood Goes To VR

VRLA’s Summer Expo was the biggest they had ever had; by their own measurements there were over 6,000 attendees and they actually had to turn the event into a two-day experience. I attended the VRLA Summer Expo last weekend, and I gained some valuable insights about where VR content is going and where VR content is moving. The show kicked off with a series of major announcements including the VRLA founders announcing their own project’s release which is a VR movie creator called Mindshow that allows creators to import assets into VR and create VR movies.
    Following Visionary VR’s announcement, Hewlett-Packard HPQ -0.14% (HP) showed off their Omen X VR backpack which I had the opportunity to try. VR Backpacks are a niche product, but they have many applications that desperately require high performance untethered VR which is simply something that does not exist today and likely will not exist until VR headsets like the HTC HTCCY +% Vive and Facebook's FB -0.04% Oculus Rift become wireless. Following that, Advanced Micro Devices AMD +2.28% (AMD) came onstage to make two major announcements, they announced a $683 Cyberpower PC available on Amazon.com AMZN +0.35% and a partnership with Awesome Rocketship to build VR experiences in movie theaters as supplementary experiences to the actual films.

This last announcement in my opinion was probably one of the biggest announcements at the show, because it signified that next step of VR where Hollywood starts to get seriously involved. Sure, the likes of Stephen Spielberg, Robert Stromberg and other A-list Hollywood directors are starting to get onboard with VR, but there needs to be a revenue opportunity right now until the industry starts to adopt VR as a medium for blockbuster movies. Studios can use these supplementary VR experiences to generate additional revenue for themselves and the movie theaters while also strengthening the branding, narrative and emotional connection that viewers have with the film.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/moorinsights/2016/08/12/vrla-where-hollywood-goes-to-vr/#798e4e156f71

leonx81 likes this.
  6. leonx81

leonx81 Well-Known Member

The New York Times Just Bought an Agency Focused on Virtual and Augmented Reality
    Fake Love will help expand T Brand Studio

You can't buy me love, but The New York Times just bought Fake Love.

An experiential design studio with a focus on virtual reality and augmented reality, Fake Love will help expand T Brand Studio, the Times' internal marketing arm, according to an announcement this morning. The agency, which has offices in New York and Dubai, has already worked on experiential and creative projects with the Times, along with VR and AR projects and other live experiences for notable brands including Nike, Twitter, Sonos, Google and Coca-Cola.

Read more: http://www.adweek.com/news/technolo...advertising-branding+(Advertising+&+Branding)

7. Tiptopptrader

Connection here?

The Associated Press Is Launching A Virtual Reality News Portal Powered By AMD
    On February 17, 2016
    Storied news agency Associated Press is taking a deeper dive into virtual reality with a new portal for VR and 360-degree video content.

Harnessing VR technology “immerses viewers in the middle of the action,” according to the AP, “breaking physical and economic barriers by enabling them to travel into different environments and explore new realities.”

The news gatherer is partnering with technology company AMD on the venture, which will provide hardware and software solutions to “render several future VR environments for news and documentaries.” However, AP editors will wield complete editorial control of any forthcoming content.

This content will be able to be consumed via high-end platforms like the Oculus Rift as well as mobile-enabled devices like Google Cardboard (or whatever VR product Google is making next) and the Samsung Gear VR, according to Fortune.

The AP first dipped its toes into VR last year and has already helmed content about a migrant and refugee camp in Calais, France, as well as a look behind the scenes at the premiere of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and even an animation of what exactly transpires during a supermoon.

“From the Oscars to the Olympics to a breaking news situation like El Chapo’s escape,” Paul Cheung, the AP’s director of interactive and digital news production, told Fortune, “my team is constantly thinking about whether there’s a virtual reality opportunity to bring the audience closer to the news.”

Cheung added the success of The New York Times’ VR endeavors proved that consumer appetites’ for these new technologies were overwhelming. “l believe VR and 360 will be a natural extension of photos and videos,” he added. “Just like moving pictures going from black and white to color.”
    http://www.tubefilter.com/2016/02/17/associated-press-virtual-reality-news-portal-amd/

8. Tiptopptrader

You must take the articles on Seeking Alpha with a grain of salt as they can be used by the shorts or bulls and take things out of context. He is correct in his assumption that it will be harder to go from $7 to $14 a share. I think from $8 to $10 will be more attainable if the Q3 and guidance is on track. Going further out than then that is putting the cart ahead of the horse. The big thing in the works is ZEN that has the potential to take market share away from INTC or possibly cut a deal like the author suggests. Sort of what AMD is doing with the low end graphics cards against NVDA. Looking at the new direction AMD has taken I would think it would be a deal as they have been locking down profits in various partnerships.

Why Many Analysts Lost The AMD Rally And Why It Might Continue Higher
    The main reason why analysts missed the boat on AMD, is because they disregarded the fact that AMD was trading at depressed levels..
    The current rally from the $2 a share mark, was easy, because the market adjusted the stocks valuation when it realized AMD was not going out of business.
    However, while going from $2 to $7 a share was easy, going from $7 to $14 a share will prove to be more difficult.
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/3999405-many-analysts-lost-amd-rally-might-continue-higher

9. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

There is a swing-high back on March 27, 2012 of $8.35. If it is going to gun for that it will need at least a couple more weeks, maybe 3 or 4 weeks more of building cause in this current trading range. So far it has 7 columns which took about 2.5 weeks to build.

2016_08_12 AMD PnF.PNG

leonx81 and Tiptopptrader like this.
  10. leonx81

Tim Cook says AI & augmented reality are core technologies in Apple's future

Apple is deeply invested in artificial intelligence and augmented reality when it comes to future products, CEO Tim Cook acknowledged in a recent interview.

"Look at the core technologies that make up the smartphone today and look at the ones that will be dominant in smartphones of the future — like AI," Cook told the Washington Post, which raised the issue of Apple's prospects given its financial dependence on the iPhone in a slowing smartphone market. "AI will make this product even more essential to you," he asserted.

"It will become even a better assistant than it is today. So where you probably aren't leaving home without it today — you're really going to be connected to it in the future. That level of performance is going to skyrocket."

Apple is stepping towards that goal with gradual improvements in Siri, such as third-party developer support. Cook in fact described it as "broadening Siri in a huge way" to the Post, although the AI assistant's chief rivals — Amazon Alexa and Google — already have similar third-party app hooks.

The CEO also reiterated a recent statement that the company is spending a lot of money on augmented reality, without going into detail about whether the company is only pursuing AR software, or aiming for dedicated hardware like Google Glass, Magic Leap, or Microsoft's HoloLens. To date no AR headset has seen a major commercial release — even Glass has yet to make it past an expensive developer-oriented model.

"I think AR is extremely interesting and sort of a core technology. So, yes, it's something we're doing a lot of things on behind that curtain that we talked about," he said.

Read more: http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...eality-are-core-technologies-in-apples-future

11. Tiptopptrader

12. leonx81

13. Tiptopptrader

Yes I am still holding but it is the $5.50 and $7 Jan 2017 calls as well as the $6 AUG 19th calls. :D
    Your 5's are golden now.

leonx81 likes this.
  14. leonx81

Wow, those calls are looking great as well!

My 5's are golden indeed and have not ideal when to sell to make the best out of it.

I am holding some of AMD shares and a few calls.

upload_2016-8-15_9-20-31.png

15. Tiptopptrader

I may sell the $6 today if we break 7. When AMD breaks 8, I plan to start selling some of my Jan $7

upload_2016-8-15_7-32-33.png

leonx81 likes this.
  16. Tiptopptrader

AMD off the HOD but starting climb again and maybe on this as they go after the high end of the graphics card sooner than expected. You can bet it will be priced right.

AMD VEGA GPU Launch Event Location Locked Down
    Just over two months ago we found out from Raja Koduri, Senior VP and Chief Architect at AMD’s Radeon Technology Group (RTG), that AMD was celebrating the completion of the upcoming VEGA 10 GPU design. The AMD Vega 10 GPU will feature second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HMB2) and will likely be used for high-end graphics cards to compete with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 or GeForce GTX 1080 Ti if one were to come out. It might even be able to compete with the new NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X, but we have no performance targets or expectations to go off of.

leonx81 likes this.
  17. leonx81

That is awesome! So excited and can't wait for the Vega GPU Launch!

upload_2016-8-15_14-7-43.png

18. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

AMD gave back yesterdays gains, but now bouncing off 6.70 which was Fridays close.

19. Tiptopptrader

Still strong support at 6.70 but of course the test will be if the markets meltdown more.

upload_2016-8-16_8-50-25.png

AMD, Nvidia GPU Battle Heats Up (Fair assessment for both companies)
    http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1330305

20. leonx81

MediaTek, AMD sales surge in 2Q16, says IC Insights

IC Insights has released its list of the world's top-20 semiconductor suppliers in the second quarter of 2016, and identified MediaTek and AMD as the fastest-growing companies.

MediaTek posted a huge 32% increase in sales over first-quarter 2016, IC Insights said. Although worldwide smartphone unit volume sales are forecast to increase by only 5% in 2016, MediaTek's application processor shipments to the fast-growing China-based smartphone suppliers (such as Oppo and Vivo) helped drive its stellar increase in the second quarter.

In the second quarter, AMD registered a strong 23% increase in sales sequentially while Sharp was moving in the opposite direction logging a 13% decline in its revenues, IC Insights said. AMD became the only new entrant into the top-20 ranking in the first half of 2016 as compared to the 2015 ranking, replacing Sharp.

In total, the top-20 semiconductor companies' sales increased by 7% sequentially in the second quarter of 2016, IC Insights said. Seven of the top-20 managed to display double-digit sales growth sequentially in the second quarter.

Intel remained firmly in control of the number one spot in the top-20 ranking in the first half of 2016, according to IC Insights. In fact, it increased its lead over Samsung's semiconductor sales to 33% from only 20% in 2015.

Apple jumped up three positions in the first-half 2016 ranking as compared to 2015, IC Insights indicated. Apple designs and uses its processors only in its own products - there are no sales of the company's MPUs to other system makers. IC Insights estimated that Apple's custom ARM-based SoC processors had a "sales value" of US$2.9 billion in the first half of 2016, which placed the vendor in the 14th position in the top-20 ranking.

Read more: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160817PR200.html

Tiptopptrader and FastEddy like this.