AMD - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Stockaholic, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

You can't really make a fair comparison with NVDA and AMD anyway. AMD is smaller cap with 3.2 billion while NVDA has a market cap of near 25 billion. While they are somewhat competitor's, their peer groups are different companies when comparing fundamentals. I tend to look at fundamentals first and technical analysis only when I find a stock that has the fundamentals that meet my requirements. I miss out on a lot of swing trades that way probably but so be it. My first requirement before considering a stock is that it has to make money (EPS). I won't play with a stock that has negative earnings. AMD is one such stock in that it is losing 75 cents a share and projected to lose 16 cents in 2016 and 11 cents in 2017. So they won't be projected in the positive earnings side until 2018. One has to worry a bit about debt with them and the impact rising interest rates might have on that debt. So I miss out on some of the upward movement with my rule. That said, higher risk comes higher rewards

2. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

Good take Jerrym as I usually kick the tires on my swing trades as well. AMD was a spec play when I brought to the board in the mid two's. When I research a stock I don't look at where it has been but where it is going. I did the same kind of research on LVS in 09 when it was trading in the mid two's and and it soared to over 80 dollars a share. This was the same scenario on many stocks that I brought to HSM as I think that Gil will vouch for that.

upload_2016-5-24_10-33-51.png

3. Gray Wolf

Understood, and since I am new to swing trading (do mostly income and value/growth trend trading) I am rethinking the negative earnings rule for shorter term swings. If the negative earnings show healthy projected growth like AMD and current and quick ratios are over 1 like AMD then it is probably a decent bet. This just is a tough market for looking for upward trajectory with all the sideways motion these days. The sideways motion is very good for my income portion of my portfolio though :D

Tiptopptrader likes this.
  4. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

AMD up to 4.15 for +2.72% on the day so far. This thing can't be stopped.

5. Tiptopptrader

AMD was up 6 cents early and as the markets were making their climb, Then AMD started going down. Looking at L2 it was evident it was being shorted. The shorts drove the price down to 3.92 and then it started going back up. Looking at L2 again, the shorts were now covering as they walked into a bull trap. What caused them to cover? Possibly some of the statements from the JPMorgan Global Technology, Media and Telecom Conference that took place today.

upload_2016-5-24_18-22-33.png

Harlan Sur
    And can you remind me thinking about whether it is Mercury or IDC, is this the second, third, consecutive quarter that AMD has taken share on the GPU side?

Ruth Cotter
    Yes. We've gained share for a couple of quarters. And this one was the most in terms of a seismic jump, as you think about 3 points a share in one quarter. Very exciting.

Chris Leavitt
    I am good with GDDR5 I also assume this is what will help drop the cost but I feel like they will need to come within 10% performance of the nvidia 1070 to really shift the market and GPU share in their favor.

troll_slayer
    they will blow NVDA away in Perf/$ and Perf/W at everything they line up against NVDA with. The only thing they don't lineup against is custom-cooled, expensive, binned 2GHz GPU 1080, and good for them, because at that complexity and price, an HBM2 card will blow it away.
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/397...an-global-technology-media-telecom-conference

The mainstream Polaris will do more than pack a punch

http://www.thecountrycaller.com/526...chmarks-show-faster-performance-than-gtx-980/

FastEddy likes this.
  6. Tiptopptrader

The 4.25 resistance was broke out the gate this morning on the way to target 4.50. The break out continues as AMD is getting overbought

upload_2016-5-25_6-37-48.png

7. Tiptopptrader

As I said this morning AMD is overbought and could present a buying op and I suggest calls if the dip is big enough. The resistance this morning is now the support
    I currently have the June 17th $4 calls and the JAN 20th 2017 - $5.50 and $7 calls

upload_2016-5-25_8-20-33.png

T0rm3nted likes this.
  8. Brendan Cowie

Brendan Cowie Active Member

Looks like a short here but Im not going to be that guy

9. Tiptopptrader

One would think

AMD surged out strong this morning and became more overbought and closed down 2 cents on strong volume but lighter than the last two days of gain. This is not abnormal for a overbought stock to do and it could come down more tomorrow as it still overbought. The shorts may lay in wait as they are still licking their wounds from the bull trap they ran into.

upload_2016-5-25_17-35-35.png

Attached Files:

FastEddy likes this.
  10. Tiptopptrader

T0rm3nted likes this.
  11. Tiptopptrader

I am not sure what happened but AMD just broke through some big resistance and gaining momentum.

upload_2016-5-26_10-17-42.png

12. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Nice new highs!

Congrats longs!

13. rolexian

rolexian Member

I'm out half my shares @4.30.

14. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Congrats on the profit to this point!

15. Tiptopptrader

This would have bee a good one for you daytraders. It was practically a no brainer that AMD was going up from my post above if you were watching L2. To bad you guys aren't playing the calls. Here is my current calls with percentage gains.

upload_2016-5-26_13-13-24.png

upload_2016-5-26_13-15-37.png

Attached Files:

FastEddy likes this.
  16. Tiptopptrader

Not sure how much further AMD can keep moving up without a breather as it is getting very overbought, not that I am complaining. Next profits when it breaks $4.50

upload_2016-5-27_6-34-55.png

Citibank upgraded AMD to Market weight rating
    Sell Side Firm Citibank has upgraded Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMD) to Market Weight.

The Sell Side Firm in its report mentioned that it has reviews certain areas which it considered uncertain for AMD since it released its earnings on April 21 this year. Specifically, it was uncertain regarding AMD’s Joint Venture with Tianjin Haiguang Advanced Technology Investment Co., Ltd (THATIC) and the impact it would have over the entire server opportunity.

Earlier in April this year, AMD had announced that it was making a Joint Venture in order to build up SoCs for the Chinese server market. AMD mentioned that the deal would cost around $293 million.

Moreover, Citibank also reviews company’s timing and accounting of cash payments and IP Licensing respectively. While calculating Earnings before Interest Tax Depreciation and Amortization (EBITDA), it added back the one-time licensing, but didn’t consider the item in calculating either sales or gross profits.

The report stated that after initial inclusion of EBITDA, and further review explained that it was a one-off event. Sell Side stated that AMD earned around $52 million of earnings via licensing payments in 1Q this year while expects earnings of about $95 million in 1Q next year.

In its 1Q earnings, AMD mentioned that it is licensing its technology to the Chinese counterpart, but not providing with market-ready products. Furthermore, it also highlighted that its core expertise lies in x86 processors along with additional valuable IP in server fabrics.

AMD, in its earnings, had mentioned that the Joint Venture would comprise of two separate legal entities, in which AMD would have a majority stake in one while a minority stake in another. Also, it stated that its losses in the Joint Venture would be limited to the total amount of investment in the venture.
    http://www.thecountrycaller.com/855...daqamd-upgraded-to-market-weight-at-citibank/

17. Gray Wolf

Take a look at the 5 year chart for some bullish optimism. It's presently at a long term resistance level getting ready to break that. If it does, sky's the limit. :D

18. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

AMD's got so much going for it these days that your predictions might actually be close to reality.

19. Gray Wolf

But, it is not a good entry point right now. If I were already in (which I am not) and had decent profits at 3.25, I'd set a stop for 3.20 and let it run. So if I want to get in I'm going to be patient and wait for the pullback which should bounce at 3.25 and I also want to see some upward revisions in earnings to jump in on that bounce. In other words it's in my watch list. :D

20. Tiptopptrader

You must have meant 4.25 and 4.20...Currently 4.48