2023 NCAA March Madness Tournament Bracket Challenge!

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by removedatuserrequest, Mar 14, 2023.

1. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

UConn got the job done

stock1234 and Smokie like this.
  2. Smokie

Smokie Well-Known Member

That they did. They never really struggled throughout the tourney, as best I remember. They came in and just went to work. It was a good tourney overall.

stock1234 likes this.
  3. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

By far the best tourney I've ever watched as a spectator. Volatility is nice

Smokie likes this.
  4. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Active Member

Hey y’all it’s that time of the year again. The NCAA brackets are out! Curious to hear if there is any interest from the community here for a group bracket challenge?

We only have until this Thursday at noon to get brackets submitted.

I’ll try getting one setup first thing in the AM tomorrow. Stay tuned.

5. bigbear0083

6. bigbear0083

Couple of links y’all should bookmark after you’ve joined via the above link are the following.

Group Overview Page:
    https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/mens-basketball-bracket/group/51172

Group Standings Page:
    https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/mens-basketball-bracket/group/51172/standings

Group Members Page:
    https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/mens-basketball-bracket/group/51172/memberlist

Hopefully you guys got all of these links working! I did these all from a small phone lolol.

7. bigbear0083

8. bigbear0083

Let’s also get a quick roll call in here for those of you who are participating in this. Hope we can get some good participation here! Remember the tourney starts this Thursday at noon eastern time. It will be too late to submit picks after that time!

9. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

I joined and submitted my picks :thumbsup:

bigbear0083 likes this.
  10. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I'm in, but didn't do the Women's bracket.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  11. anotherdevilsadvocate

Tom Izzo: NCAA selection process needs more nuance, less analytics
    Pathetic. Izzo was beloved once, but he's too old now. I see so many old guys blaming NIL like Saban. At least he knew it was time to go. Izzo, instead, decided "Boomers gonna boom". Here's some quotes.

"I think it would be best if people who've been in the game and have been around," he said. "[They] understand when you lose a game and something happens -- you play three tough games in a row; analytics don't show injuries or they show when a guy misses a game but not when he plays hurt."
    Uh, analytics would love this info but coaches always hide their injury reports (looks at Belichick). Analytics does not suffer from taking in more variables.

"What's happening now, everybody likes the upsets on the first weekend, but I'm not sure moving on that's what's best for the game," Izzo said. "I think it's got to be looked at seriously."
    I'd like to point out that what Izzo is implying in this article (or is it a piece?) is that the big guys need INSURANCE. They _think_ that since they spend all this money recruiting the most hyped players, and since they've made buddies with all these old school coaches (who will stick by each other), that they should get a 95% chance of making the tournament. Wins and losses be damned, facts from analytics be damned. It is the rich who think they deserve to always remain rich. We, as a country, need to hold the rich to the same rules as the poor.
    Izzo thinks it is the rich basketball schools (ie big name conference) that is making the sport rich. Just like you see the rich claiming they create all these jobs, Izzo is saying the rich basketball schools create all this March Madness excitement. IT IS ALL BULLSHIT. Here's the fact: If I wanted the best basketball, I don't look for the ACC or Big Ten--I look for the NBA. And that's a fact that these coaches bitching about NIL will have to learn: the NCAA is competing against the NBA and NFL and MLB now. It is just a matter of time until a college player says he wants to stay in college for 10 years and keep making a million dollars a year from NIL. Like imagine if Tim Tebow had a chance to stay in college at Florida for 10 years, he would have stayed. Realize this: the NCAA will be competing with professional leagues to get the best/most marketable players.

#31 anotherdevilsadvocate, Mar 20, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    stock1234 likes this.
  12. bigbear0083

stock1234 likes this.
  13. bigbear0083

Whelp…my brackets off to a rough start already not even a full day in :horse:

stock1234 likes this.
  14. bigbear0083

stock1234 likes this.
  15. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

LOL my hot start didn't last too long, now I am dead last :lauging:

bigbear0083 likes this.
  16. bigbear0083

haha, this is turning out to be a riveting group bracket. it's still very much up for grabs going into the sweet 16. gl to you 2 the rest of the way out! should be an interesting finish. :D

17. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Damn I didn't see it on time because I was out of town the last week. Good luck to all who participated!

18. bigbear0083

Final 4 is set. Here’s where things stand in the group standings going into the Final Four:

Marcy and I both picked the same winner. Will be interesting to see how this thing finishes out. GL!

[​IMG]

19. anotherdevilsadvocate

Congrats @bigbear0083 on winning the bracket.

Congrats America on your latest basketball superstar not even being able to dunk.
    This country will never heal itself, until we can all admit that women's basketball SUCKS.
    Oh well, this is what Steph Curry and Adam Silver hath wrought.
    Make America Dunk Again.