A Wyckoff Student Notebook

Discussion in 'Trade Journals' started by Onepoint272, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Zooming into AG's 65-minute chart shows the trading range that began on June 25th with break-out on Tuesday July 16th. Using 65-minute data and a 10-cent-box by 3-box-reversal PnF count gives a short-term target of $10.20. Below is the 65-minute vertical bar chart which shows that the monthly and weekly pivots have been tagged.

upload_2019-7-17_2-52-18.png

2. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Meat Popsicle

She got a nice little 8-9% bounce off 9,000 near that January swing low you mentioned. Quick questions though - why is that area considered significant?

3. Onepoint272

Hmmm, well it's just Support/Resistance (S/R) and actually there are two in that area, the Jan 2018 swing low and a swing high from late May 2019. The strength of S/R seems to be dependent on the time frame and on the vertical rise or fall from where it originated. The weekly swings are more important than the daily or intraday and the long swings are more important than the short ones.

What I'm about to say initially here, I know you already know, but it's for the benefit of background: When you and I buy we generally try to let the price come to us, we place a limit order and wait for the ask to come to us and even if for some reason we buy the ask we are such small timers we can't move the price up. But in every time frame there are traders (the composite man/operator, CM/CO) with enough capital who can move the price up with an end game of selling into a climax. They do this by taking out the asks. They chase the stock up, absorbing all sellers. It gets easier and easier for them as it moves up because the would-be sellers realize the price is moving higher and they no longer want to sell and then demand from the public overcomes supply with their market orders eager to buy the ask. But eventually it gets to a point, the swing point, where there is nobody left to buy, nobody in the whole world is willing to buy the ask. That is significant.

That January 2018 swing low (the reverse of the example) was important because it was a swing point on the weekly chart and it came from a lofty height and it was the point after about 3 weeks of decline where absolutely nobody was willing to sell the bid.

The May 2019 swing high was also on the weekly and was a long swing as well, where nobody was willing to buy the ask after about 8 weeks of uptrend.

In a nutshell, I guess the market has a memory since it is composed of thinking beings with memories and memory tools, like charts.

Weekly bars:
    upload_2019-7-17_21-35-50.png

There was something else going-on in that area and that was the pivot-support-1 level at about 9121. The use of pivots is a very old practice and was very practical for floor traders and I'm convinced that professionals are still using them. The 3-hour intraday chart below shows the monthly pivot in black and the weekly pivot in magenta. The weekly R1, S1, and S2 levels are also shown. S/R is yellow. The weekly pivot is the average of the previous week's high, low, and close. The monthly uses the same for the previous month. You can also plot the daily pivots which use the previous day's H, L, and C. The monthly is stronger than the weekly which is stronger than the daily. Pivots supposedly have a 70 to 80 percent chance of being hit and there is a whole set of rules for their use, like don't go long when price is below the pivot or short when above the pivot, wait for price to tag the pivot before taking a position, etc.

3-Hour bars:
    upload_2019-7-17_21-55-25.png

pivot = (high + low + close) / 3.0;

pivotPoint.r1 = pivot * 2 - low;
    pivotPoint.s1 = pivot * 2 - high;
    pivotPoint.r2 = pivot + (high - low);
    pivotPoint.s2 = pivot - (high - low);
    pivotPoint.r3 = pivot * 2 + (high - 2 * low);
    pivotPoint.s3 = pivot * 2 - (2 * high - low);
    pivotPoint.r4 = pivot * 3 + (high - 3 * low);
    pivotPoint.s4 = pivot * 3 - (3 * high - low);
    pivotPoint.r5 = pivot * 4 + (high - 4 * low);
    pivotPoint.s5 = pivot * 4 - (4 * high - low);

#663 Onepoint272, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  4. Onepoint272

Riding a rocket named Majestic Silver. Silver futures are up again tonight.

Note that the upward thrust is shortening.

30-minute bars:
    upload_2019-7-17_23-16-33.png

#664 Onepoint272, Jul 18, 2019
  5. AverageJoesTrades

AverageJoesTrades Well-Known Member

I took my eye off silver for 1 week and this happens.... Glad you're in it!

6. Onepoint272

Thanks, I was a day late but I'll take it and maybe sooner than later; silver seems to be at some strong resistance here....trailing a stop.

Weekly bars as of Thursday premarket:
    upload_2019-7-18_8-29-32.png

#666 Onepoint272, Jul 18, 2019
    OldFart likes this.
  7. Rock Sexton

Marked increase in volume compared to the last time Bitcoin was around 9,000 (roughly June 17th). That backtest and launch off of July's 2nd standard deviation is signalling confidence in a return to July's most active price. Guess I'll have to scrap opening a new position at 8k.

The day's most active price is 10,400 so this move is supported.

BTC7-18a.JPG
    BTC7-18.JPG

#667 Rock Sexton, Jul 18, 2019
    AdamJoseph and Onepoint272 like this.
  8. Onepoint272

I've been watching Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL) for some time. It's been in a downtrend all year and is now just under the demand line of a long-term up channel. It has dividend yield of 4.4%. I've never been on a cruise, it's just not my thing, to be crowded onto a giant floating city of tiny houses destined for a series of tourist traps, but I figure retired boomers don't need to spend on much but cruises are probably one thing on which they'll splurge.

The upside PnF targets did not pan out and so the downside target of $30 may also be suspect.

The big picture in Monthly bars:
    upload_2019-7-21_22-55-24.png

Zooming in on the 65-minute chart, it's been in a trading range (TR) since the last ER plunge. It needs to show a change of character and SOS to reverse the trend. One encouragement for bulls is that it has shown diminishing volume through the TR. I'm leaning toward some sort of reversal, either a mark-up phase out of this range or at least a UTAD, but just watching for now.

As a side note for those who like to cruise, according to a work mate of mine who cruises, if you own 100 shares of CCL you get like a 10% discount on tickets.

65-minute bars:
    upload_2019-7-21_23-6-10.png

9. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Well there's your short-term target of $10.20 on AG @Onepoint272

upload_2019-7-22_11-57-8.png

Gonna keep holding or lock it up? I know you said your longer term goal was $16

10. Onepoint272

Long term, a conservative count gets AG up to $19, but as I posted on the "What Stocks are You Watching this Weekend" thread, in response to a post by @Bodacious about MAG, since my AG hit 10.24 on Friday and since the silver futures showed a change of character, I sold the AG at the close at 9.90. I'll get back in once silver is done consolidating or perhaps even when it retraces down to the 15.56 area.

Silver Futures 1-hour bars (as of Monday night 9:20 cdt):
    upload_2019-7-22_21-31-48.png

#670 Onepoint272, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    OldFart, T0rm3nted and Stockaholic like this.
  11. moss_sumit

moss_sumit Member

@Onepoint272 are you still waiting for gold to retrace back to 1362 area? I have been in and out couple times in GLD but waiting before buying a bigger lot...

12. Onepoint272

It did retrace to 1385 and went into a trading range. Appears to sell off when up thrusting the top of the range so far.

Daily:
    upload_2019-7-23_9-8-21.png

But I really like the looks of the 3-hour chart. Last night it came down and tested the PS line at 1415. Note the higher supports. It's been struggling to get above the weekly pivot but once it does...could be explosive enough to break the TR.

3-Hour bars:
    upload_2019-7-23_9-13-27.png

13. AdamJoseph

AdamJoseph New Member

I have been studying volume profile, and it’s generally agreed upon the when the POC of a daily session finishes near the top 1/3 of the range, that the move is supported and follow thru can be expected the next day. However, this is not always the case, as in the soybean futures. On July 19, there was a strong move up and the POC was near the top of the range. However, in the following days price did not continue higher.

How is a trader able to reliably determine when there WILL be follow through to a move like this?

Attached Files:

OldFart, T0rm3nted and Rock Sexton like this.
  14. Rock Sexton

It's really just a rule of thumb at the end of the day and you can't view it in isolation, which is why I make sure to look at multiple time frames (nothing lower than 4 hour). For example, a 4 hour TF you're watching could've shown that higher prices for the entire week were supported - but the quarterly profile is still registering as "balance" (i.e. "D") or possibly "liquidation" (i.e. "b").

My chart that you referenced from the other day is the classic "P" formation , which is typically short covering. Why did the shorts cover and volume flood in like that? We simply don't know and by the looks of things during this pullback today to "The Creek" at roughly 10,000 - buyers didn't show up in droves to support it. Starting to think that launch from 9,000 to 11,000 over the past weekend was simply some shorts being fooled into covering.

Conceptually speaking though - the POC is essentially the price at which the most buyers AND sellers "agree" for that time period. So even though you might have a day where the POC finished higher up in the profile - short sellers could still be setting up positions to overcome the buyers for an inevitable drop the next day, next week, etc.

#674 Rock Sexton, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    T0rm3nted, Jrich and AdamJoseph like this.
  15. Bodacious

Bodacious Active Member

Reference below for those not familiar with market nomenclature (lingo)

Volume and TPO Analysis Essentials

Similar to volume profiles, time-price-opportunity (TPO) profiles are histograms of how much time was spent at each price within the span of the profile rather than volume-at-price.

POC & VPOC
    The point of control (POC) and volume point of control (VPOC) are sibling terms used in TPO and volume analysis, respectively. In TPO profiles, the POC is the price at which the most time was spent over the course of the profiled range – usually the price closest to the profile midpoint if there is more than one price at which the same amount of time was spent. Likewise, for a volume profile the VPOC (usually pronounced vee-pock) is the price at which the most volume was transacted.

http://www.ranchodinero.com/volume-tpo-essentials/

T0rm3nted, Rock Sexton and AdamJoseph like this.
  16. Rock Sexton

Apologies - I should say "VPOC" as I far prefer Volume Profile over Market Profile, but the concept remains the same. Just being lazy about it I guess LOL.

As a reminder, I use the Volume Profile to find confluence with my Wyckoff studies.

#676 Rock Sexton, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    T0rm3nted and Bodacious like this.
  17. Onepoint272

Heads up guys. Feast your eyes on this. I don't think there's a better example of a classic Wyckoff accumulation than this. The 3rd best buy point, at the BUC, approaches maybe next week, the first being the test after the spring and the second-best at the LPS. The cause points to a price projection of $53, a potential five-bagger, set it and forget it.

Weekly Bars:
    upload_2019-7-26_20-35-50.png

#677 Onepoint272, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    OldFart, Jrich, T0rm3nted and 2 others like this.
  18. Rock Sexton

@Onepoint272

Are you able to adjust your PnF box sizes on TradingView below 1? For some reason I can't change it.

19. Onepoint272

Yep, I just checked and it is working fine....oh yeah, I did notice they now require you to put a zero in the one's place, e.g., 0.25. Try that.

upload_2019-7-26_21-25-2.png

OldFart and Stockaholic like this.
  20. Rock Sexton

Good call.

Thoughts on $QSR?

QSR7-26.JPG

T0rm3nted and Onepoint272 like this.