A Wyckoff Student Notebook

Discussion in 'Trade Journals' started by Onepoint272, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Thanks guys but all I did was recognize the setup on SPWR, I had no idea it would explode so quickly. There's no doubt we are all getting better. Rock had some great picks that I wished I'd have taken but its hard for me time-wise to manage too much. Still though, for me the hardest part is getting out. Today before lunch I was watching SPWR settle into an intraday trading range, a bull flag waving in the clouds. I went to lunch, did not raise my stop. Came back from lunch and found that it dropped out of the range. Then I noticed the whole damn market dropped. I got stopped out of BABA with a profit and I'm not sure if I would have set the stop on SPWR high enough to get taken out, but all I'm thinking is, dang that was an expensive lunch. But yeah I'm way up on it. I can't complain a bit.

So the S&Pee doesn't look too good huh. Looks like the LPSY got printed. It could bounce but the SOWs and volatility are red flags and I expect just a test of the ice. I'll try and do some Point and Figure work to gage how low it could go.

EDIT: Well, using 1-hour data with a $10 box and 3-box reversal and counting from the LPSY back to the BC gives a downside target of 2860.

3-hour bars:
    upload_2019-8-1_21-23-2.png

#721 Onepoint272, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  2. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

3. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Meat Popsicle

OldFart, Onepoint272 and AdamJoseph like this.
  4. Onepoint272

That's one of yours that I was seriously looking to long, but no time to manage it. As I recall your P&F target is $105. I like Burger King better than McD's and Popeyes is probably the best fried yard bird offered by any chain, they've got potential long term.

I think I might try to get in next week. On August 1st it managed to tag the August monthly pivot at 72.65. Next week's pivot is 75.85 and there is old-fashioned support at 75.62. If it tags that area I think I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: Oh it's better than I thought, QSR is the one which you used a conservative count. It could go to $132 counting back to the BC.

65-minute bars:
    upload_2019-8-2_19-17-18.png

#724 Onepoint272, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  5. Onepoint272

So on Fryday I decided to step out of SPWR for now, having held it for 71 hours. In retrospect my best sell would have been on the failed tests of the 16.03 high or even just after the LSPY was printed as it fell out of that first trading range, but that was when I was out for lunch and Trump spontaneously tweeted about further China tariffs. Or was it spontaneous, or is it any coincidence that Secretaries of the Treasury come from the revolving door at Goldman Suchs? Ahh, but I digress, we must play the system at hand despite the injustices and corruption and embrace the manipulation to our advantage.
    So anyway, into the close on Fryday, SPWR completed phase A of a new trading range by printing the SC, AR and ST and stopping the intraday downtrend. But there is weakness in the background of this latest TR so I expect it will drift lower out of the range unless a SOS is printed.

Of course zooming out there is a larger TR at play here with the BC at 16.03, the AR at 14.38 and ST at 15.71 and that TR has strength in its background, so it'd be good to watch for phase C hopefully on some kind of spring of 14.38, either a capitulating terminal shakeout or an exhaustion of supply.

5-minute bars:
    upload_2019-8-3_10-42-32.png

#725 Onepoint272, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    T0rm3nted, OldFart and Bodacious like this.
  6. Bodacious

Bodacious Active Member

@Onepoint272

Hello, how are you on this fine day?

I really dig the Wyckoff thread, it adds a whole new dimension to analysis. I have started learning both Wyckoff and P&F and I'm liking it a lot.

I searched the forum for a P&F educational thread, I found no results, how would you feel about starting a new thread on this topic? If you like the idea please go ahead and start the thread, it will probably get better attention if you start it, as you are respected in forum for your work with Wyckoff and P&F.

I have questions and I've been watching YT vids and some of those could be inserted, what do you think? Good idea? Bad idea?

I only ask because I didn't want to cloud up this thread with P&F questions and learning videos, and P&F sorta deserves its own thread, and it would be handy to have a bunch of P&F info all together for easy reference.

T0rm3nted and Onepoint272 like this.
  7. Onepoint272

Sorry I didn't get back to you right away while we were both online but I had to run an errand. I'm glad you're finding Wyckoff useful. I remember when the first light came on for me. It was on the principal of Effort versus Result. It blew me away. Made any and all indicators I studied a waste of time, redundant and useless (except for scanning).

Personally I don't think there should be an "educational" thread on Wyckoff beyond this one for a few reasons.
    • One, I don't want too many people to know about it. In fact I'm often torn about disclosing too much on this thread. That may sound selfish but this is a competitive business after all. Fortunately though, it is too much work for most people and they are content with mechanical trading, arbitrary lines on charts, hit and miss patterns, etc. But it works for them because it gives them an edge and they understand trade management. But the reality of the auction is that we want most people to be fooled by mechanical trading and take bad trades because that is how the composite man (CM) makes money and we follow the CM. We're here to make money, not save the whales or anything like that.
    • Two, there are plenty of resources on the web, albeit the very less-travelled places, where information is available and it sounds like you have begun to discover them. Those like yourself for whom the lights have been turned on, will have an appetite for more and will dig and ask questions. Probably one of the best resources is Bruce Frazer's (Hank Pruden disciple) archived blogs in the Chart School on Stockcharts.com. https://stockcharts.com/articles/wyckoff/
    • Three, this thread provides a learning opportunity by sharing practical applications. In fact I don't think there's anything quite like it. It is not a journal per se but a "Student Notebook" intended for every student of Wyckoff to post observations and to ask questions. Feel free to ask anything pertaining to Wyckoff or post a tube that you think is helpful. We are all learning here, post away.
    There will come a time when the 3 Wyckoff principals come together for you and you won't need the instruction or opinions of others, no indicators, no fundamental analyses, reports, or news. These principals need to be memorized because they are the core of Wyckoff and what you are attempting to understand about a particular market:
    1. Supply versus Demand
    2. Effort versus Result
    3. Cause versus Effect

#727 Onepoint272, Aug 3, 2019
  8. Bodacious

Bodacious Active Member

Fair enough, we'll keep it all here.

As you said, I'm catching on already, I'm finding resources and answering my own questions. Thanks for the link you provided, great thread.

T0rm3nted and Rock Sexton like this.
  9. Onepoint272

Wyckoff was the father of technical analyses and his work was the basis of subsequent classics like "Technical Analysis of Stock Trends" by Edwards and MaGee, from which other technical analyses proliferated. One important thing that Wyckoff developed is how to draw trendlines and trend channels. Now days there's all sorts of convoluted ways to draw these that cater to mechanical trading instead of attempting to understand supply and demand, like drawing the line that passes thru the most points non-sense. It's rubbish. Here is the Wyckoff way:

Regular Uptrend Channel - drawn and extended from two higher lows and a parallel line that passes thru the intervening high (solid lines)

Regular Downtrend Channel - drawn and extended from two lower highs and a parallel line that passes thru the intervening low
    (solid lines)

Reverse Uptrend Channel - drawn and extended from two higher highs and a parallel line that passes thru the intervening low (dashed lines)

Reverse Downtrend Channel - drawn and extended from two lower lows and a parallel line that passes thru the intervening high (dashed lines)

Once you start drawing them correctly you'll begin to understand the benefits for judging the markets supply and demand characteristics.

10. Onepoint272

Here's a good primer to the Wyckoff method:

11. Onepoint272

Here is Part #2 of the above:

12. Onepoint272

And here is the final part which includes P&F concepts, Part #3:

13. Rock Sexton

It's general rule of thumb that to become good at anything in this lifetime you need to spend at least 10,000 hours practicing the craft.

After my experiencing coming up in trading I fully agree. It was around 2010 when I started my descent down the rabbit hole. I was relentless in my pursuit of the how's and why's staying up well into the late to consume any material I could find on the net. You see my mind could never accept "trade when this indicator says ...." or "trade this pattern." Eventually I stumbled upon Richard Wyckoff's teachings and it started to paint the larger picture of what was happening behind the curtain.

So my recommendation is keep digging - you'll find the answers you seek. I eventually did and clearly OnePoint did.

14. Rock Sexton

Adding in $HMSY.
    • Current Price $39.13
    • PnF measurement 33.50 + (19 x 0.5 x 3) = $62
    • Clearly a successful long term BUC at $11.50
    • Current pattern resembles a cup and handle - which essentially is just another re-accumulation phase
    HMSY8-3.JPG

#734 Rock Sexton, Aug 3, 2019
    OldFart and Onepoint272 like this.
  15. Rock Sexton

Adding in $STNE
    • Current price $36.48
    • PnF measurement $29 + (21 x 0.5 x 3) = $60.50
    • Berkshire Hathaway owns 14.6 million shares of the 111.85 million float (13.5%)
    STNE8-3.JPG

T0rm3nted, OldFart and Onepoint272 like this.
  16. Rock Sexton

Adding $UFPI

Seems a bit wild, but the range it's showing has been trading in 60% moves i.e. high volatility is when the CM is working to re-accumulate
    • Current price $39.77
    • PnF measurement 35 + (27 x 0.75 x 3) = $95.75
    UFPI8-3.JPG
    UFPI8-3PnF.JPG

T0rm3nted, OldFart and Onepoint272 like this.
  17. Rock Sexton

Last one for the night.

Any thoughts on $MOBL @Onepoint272 ? Am I off-base here?

• Current price $7.27
    • PnF measurement is 5.25 + (49 x 0.15 x 3) = $27.30
    MOBL8-3.JPG

T0rm3nted and Onepoint272 like this.
  18. Onepoint272

Rock, as always thanks for sharing your finds. I know its a lot of work finding those diamonds in the rough.

MOBL looks bullish but the structure is complicated and judging how to count it is subjective. I can see why you'd want a second opinion. I'm working on it but first, I know Bodacious is interested in ZNGA so I thought I'd post what that count might be. ZNGA may have a bigger longer term count but its probably prudent to break it down as I've shown below. So the base count gives a target of 8.25 which coincides with resistance at 8.10. The stepping stone count only projects to 7.05. It's always nice when the stepping stone projection matches the base count projection. But no, and the question is, will it go straight to 8.25 or will it build another stepping stone? If count what has built in the $6 area there are only 2 columns and 2 x $0.15 x 3 = $0.90. Add that to $5.85 (the low of the last column of "Os" and you get 6.75. Not enough to match the base count projection to 8.25. So if its going to build another stepping stone to shake out the weak hands then it will need more time to consolidate. Either way though, I'd trust that base count projection to 8.25 and use the vertical charts to time an entry but don't be surprised if it gets turned back at the $7 area to build more cause.

15-cent box by 3-box reversal P&F:
    upload_2019-8-4_7-2-59.png

#738 Onepoint272, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  19. Onepoint272

Rock, on MOBL, I used a 20-cent box and got $25, a close match to your 27.30. But, this is a bit complicated and you've mentioned this concept before and that is the idea that the float may have turned over during what I'm showing as a UTAD. Consequently I'm wondering how valid it is to count further back beyond the decline off the UTAD. I'm thinking it may be prudent to only count the structure I'm showing with blue labels which projects to 13.20, just above the all-time high of 12.96, which is still excellent. We'll have to come back to this one later and see if it builds a re-accumulation range with a target that matches the $25 base.

As an aside, it appears that the blue-labeled range is a period of absorption for the larger black-labeled range, that is, the CM absorbing sellers at resistance. So maybe the larger count is good, I dunno.o_O But time will tell and in the meantime this looks strong.

On the weekly chart it appears to have knocked its head on the oversold line of the uptrend channel. Will need to look at the hourly or 30-minute vertical chart for timing.

I'm taking a road trip up to the farm, so may be out of pocket for few days.

Weekly bars:
    upload_2019-8-4_7-44-18.png
    20-cent-box by 3-box reversal P&F:
    upload_2019-8-4_7-56-58.png

#739 Onepoint272, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  20. AdamJoseph

AdamJoseph New Member

4A649806-A260-4C5C-955C-0E7A5BDE86DB.jpeg I found a good website for all kinds of PF chart applications..www.dorseywright.com.

You can sign up for a 30 day free trial and get all sorts of PF analysis, including P&F relative strength charts for individual stocks and sectors. This is PF relative strength chart for SPWR..pretty cool

Bodacious likes this.