A Wyckoff Student Notebook

Discussion in 'Trade Journals' started by Onepoint272, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Nice fish. I've probably cleaned a few thousand of those in my youth, but not many that size. Raised my kids for the most part in Northern Wisconsin amongst 100's of glacial lakes. Quarter mile walk to a trout stream or the other way to big walleye water. Mostly took the kids bass fishing though on lake chains where hardly anybody fished and every other cast is a fish-on. Used to fly fish the Namekagon and the Brule for lake-run browns, steelhead, and salmon. Still have that place and heading up there for a couple weeks after Memorial Day to work on it, but hope to get out and wet a line at least once. Since then, moved to NC and now AR where in the past 10 years I haven't fished but once. Oh I forgot, I did try surf fishing on the outer banks a few times too, but never seemed to hit the runs right. I'm thinking I need to get out and try catching some of these AR channel and blue cats.

Jrich likes this.
  2. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Nice to have a fellow fisherman here!

I can't even go a month without fishing!.. Can't imagine 10 years!!!..... After a few weeks I start getting grumpy, and the wife will actually make me go to the lake (she's a keeper!)

Yea, that was a good night!.. Smallest one 5 lbs, biggest 9 lbs... Like they say, everything's bigger in Texas!

I grew up down here, but a while back I lived in Colorado for about 8 years.... So I've done plenty of trout and walleye fishing too... Beautiful water = beautiful fish!

Arizona huh?... Never been there... But I've heard plenty of stories about Lake Powel from a friend who spends a week there on a house boat every year... Another one on the bucket list!

I highly recommend wetting that line!... I think we should all take time here and there to remember why we keep running on this big spinning ball

3. Onepoint272

Common mistake, AR is not Arizona (AZ), it's Arkansas. Actually I lived in the Arid-zone too for a few years in the 80s, then CO for short time before settling in WI to raise kids, then NC and now AR which has some world-record fishing opportunities. I think AR holds the world record for Walleye (which seems weird) and Rainbow. My place in WI is near the Walleye Capital of Wisconsin and close to where the world record Musky was caught. A friend of mine caught a near 50-inch Musky once that had a muskrat in its gullet. I never went after Muskies on purpose; just hooked them and lost lures when they get close to the boat and thrash the line or had them hit while retrieving a pan-fish. Up in those north woods the Musky and Northern Pike are the top predators and its hard to find catfish. Down here, the big cats fill that role I think.

I haven't taken advantage of the AR fishing yet. My boat and canoes are in WI. Recently, though I bought a couple fishing kayaks just to mess around on. A few weeks ago the wife and I put them in the Arkansas River and caught about 20 white bass in a couple hours...kept a couple just to see what they taste like...not bad. But I'd like to try for some nice eating-sized cats, like the ones you caught.

4. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Chicken liver=late night trot lines= Plenty of catfish. Cooked and served with hush puppies and coleslaw..

Onepoint272 and Jrich like this.
  5. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Oh yea.. Duh!... I knew that

I've been thru Arkansas a couple times, but long ago and I don't remember much of it

I'm a bass fisherman at heart, but I have love for everything that swims!.... Even been after alligator gar a few times, but only landed a few little ones (little being 3' - 4' long)

For channel cats:
    Stink bait good, liver better, cut baitfish best!

Onepoint272 likes this.
  6. Onepoint272

Dr. Gary Dayton classic on bar by bar analysis (the show starts about 6 minutes in):

#66 Onepoint272, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Jrich likes this.
  7. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Lost my position in BBRY:mad:... Broke even on my stop, but then it took off without me... And I've learned in the past it's usually a bad idea to chase....... So I've moved on

image.jpeg

I feel I have a much better entry this time... I bought today at $35.10, after seeing a bounce off the top of the range a few days ago ($34.66 low)

Looks like a text book Wyckoff play from my eyes... And the bad news notifications I keep receiving have not shaken my confidence

Stay tuned!

8. killabee

killabee New Member

subscribed.... VSA really caught my eye over 5 years ago and now i'm back to try to polish it up. =).

Polina Pohribs likes this.
  9. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Just posting this in here for those who are wondering what happened with @Onepoint272 as some people have been PM'ing me this week regarding his latest absence...

@Onepoint272's last post on Stockaholics was made here.

This was the full post:

I am not sure if anyone (@Rock Sexton maybe?) has @Onepoint272's contact info. (FB/TWTR page, cell #, e-mail, etc.?)

Admittedly, we have gotten pretty worried for @Onepoint272's status as we have not seen him log back in to the forums since that post.

If anyone has heard from @Onepoint272 and could give us a quick update on how he is doing please do post it up in here as that would be greatly appreciated!

When I first read his post it was pretty shocking and truthfully my heart just sank. I really hope his recovery is coming along well!

I speak for all of our regulars here at Stockaholics when I say we miss you tremendously around here Onepoint!!

You are a trooper man. One of the best traders we've ever had in the history of this community IMHO.

Hope to hear from ya soon buddy!

Onepoint272, Wolfy and Jrich like this.
  10. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

email sent... if i hear back, ill update

Onepoint272 and Stockaholic like this.
  11. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Meat Popsicle

Yeeesh.

Just saw this post. I hope he's ok. I imagine that's a scary situation to have to deal with.

12. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Hope for a full recovery for @Onepoint272 . Good luck man, hope everything turns out OK. Miss you around here.

13. Andre

Andre Active Member

@Onepoint272 sorry to hear that, best wishes and quick recovery!!!

14. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Well i got stopped out AGAIN... broke even AGAIN....... I wasnt happy about that until today

Look at me.. i tripped and fell off the train just before it derailed
    Screenshot_20170615-104336.png

#74 Jrich, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  15. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

My next trade, i feel even better about

Thats me at $27.10... just got in this morning

What do i like?... i like the up moves on rising volume and the down moves on falling volume throughout this range

Screenshot_20170615-104033.png

Why today??

A low volume pull back from the 52 week high landing right on the axis line at $27

Screenshot_20170615-103844.png

Why $27.10??

Hourly chart... i cant draw the trend line, but you can see it fairly clearly... $27.05 is where it failed to reach the support line and moved back toward the supply line..... trend reversal?
    Screenshot_20170615-103956.png

0.50 x 3 P/F target of $34.00 (LPS $22)... Thats a potential 25% gain

After 10 strait losses and 2 strait draws... i think its about time for a W!

#75 Jrich, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Timbo likes this.
  16. Onepoint272

Okay, just found this stream of concerns. Very much appreciated, thank you all.

Yeah, I had an aneurism in my popliteal artery which feeds blood to the leg below the knee. So as I understand it, the artery blew up to the size of a golf ball and clotted. The clot material moved downstream and starved my lower leg of blood. We were on our way to northern Wisconsin and at the time of the incident were at a scenic overlook on the upper Mississippi about 15 minutes south of La Crosse. Fortunately, La Crosse is home to excellent medical facilities. I had catheters installed into my femoral artery to direct potent blood thinners to my lower leg to break up all the clots and then had surgery to by-pass the aneurism. They informed me I might wake up from surgery without the leg. Thankfully though they managed to re-establish pulses in my foot. The inside of the calf and foot are still numb, but I'm walking and hopeful time will heal the capillary and nerve damage.

Thanks again for your concerns.

Unicorn Dreams, Rock Sexton and Wolfy like this.
  17. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Glad it worked out, and I hope you have a full recovery beyond what you've already had. Will be nice having you around again if you're up to it.

Wolfy and TomsterBK like this.
  18. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I've got one distribution to share, and one to ask about.

WDC in distribution with 50 ma for reference:
    [​IMG]

One thing I've gained from application of Wyckoff is to look for trading ranges. Now I'm wondering about this stock FLIR, that I've noticed two ranges. The first went for a long time, not sure if this is an accumulation range specifically or just a range in general. The second one I think may be a re-accumulation range, which I've read should be shorter in range and in amplitude. I'm wondering because it looks like there are 3 springs in it. The range has smaller amplitude from top to bottom, but seemed very volatile.

FLIR Weekly chart:
    [​IMG]
    What stands out in the second range in regards to Wyckoff's study? The end of it looks pretty volatile, is that common in re-accumulation?

FLIR daily chart to see more detail:
    [​IMG]

Onepoint272 and T0rm3nted like this.
  19. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Dont know if id call it re-accumulation because it came before the mark up..... what i see a lot is a re-test of the top of the range, maybe whats happening here

Has some serious upside objective tho!

20171017_211936.png

20. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

^^^typo on my chart^^^

18 x 3 = 54 + 28 = 82