AAPL Trade at $139.67

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by HouserVT, Jan 22, 2021.

1. HouserVT

HouserVT New Member

So, I'm pulling my hair out trying to wrap my brain around how a trade like this happens. I've been to a couple different places, but it's almost like it's one big conspiracy, as my posts seem to be quickly removed by moderators. :\

My question is how does a stock, as liquid as AAPL, print a trade so far outside of not only it's current market value (~$137 at the time), but above any other prior trade value. Here's the trade I'm talking about (https://i.ibb.co/Q6cbTX4/13967.jpg) which appears to be a trade of 4,765 shares at $139.67 ($0.88 above the stocks all-time high of $138.79). I can't imagine it was a "late reported" trade, that happened, on a prior day and was just now being reported, as that accounts for these "blips" sometimes, since this price has never been traded on any prior day. Nor could I envision it being a massive "buy", since it was only 4,765 shares, and no other exchange/book asks got hit to execute it.

I imagine that there must be rules preventing a couple of traders from just going, "Hey, can I sell you 1 share of AAPL for $420.69 just so we can screw with the tape?"... so, what's going on here?