AMD - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Stockaholic, Mar 31, 2016.

1. roadtonowhere08

roadtonowhere08 Well-Known Member

I am reading it as AMD really pushed for great improvement with efficiency. It was interesting to see such a divergence of opinion between Tech Jesus (Steve) and Wendell. I personally think Wendell is pretty much the most old school uber tech nerd journalist out there, so I am inclined to align my opinions with his at the moment.

The X3D SKUs will be the real tell if Zen 5 is a worthy upgrade to 4. I am curious to see the efficiency of those dies with the extra cache.

#2641 roadtonowhere08, Aug 8, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
  2. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

We don't need X3D to see Zen 5 is a significant step forward. When given the same amount of power as Zen 4, Zen 5 easily meets and beats the AMD uplift claim.

Don't be tricked by benchmarks done in eco mode and compared to Zen 4 benchmarks done fully powered. You may notice, there are plenty of Zen 5 benchmark articles showing a big step forward. Have a closer look at the shit talkers.

AMD has said X3D will be identical to Zen 4 X3D but there have been leaked comments the new X3D will have significantly lower latency. Perhaps the sheer amount of cache will be the same but I am expecting a performance boost and possibly X3D that will assist both CXX in a dual chiplet complex.

roadtonowhere08 likes this.
  3. roadtonowhere08

Understood. Then my next question to this is why did AMD not set the TDP to match Zen 4 SKUs and let the IPC increases shine? AMD was already being praised for its efficiency versus Intel. Why not twist the knife and make Intel look worse?

It just seems like a wasted opportunity to gain momentum while Intel is down. Their GPU division has not been able to compete with NVDA in a long time, so they need to stick it to Intel every chance they get.

#2643 roadtonowhere08, Aug 8, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
  4. Rayak

Rayak Active Member

This is the most accurate comment I have seen in a while!

5. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Maybe they didn't want to burn out their ring bus and ruin their reputation?

Sorry... that was a cheap shot. I don't know.

What I do know is the 9700X is a 65W TDP part (recommended settings) and that causes me to lust a 9700X build. 65W allows the 9700X to be spec'd for SFF devices. It's a huge win, IMO. The 9700X is unlocked so users are free to power up and dominate benchmarks.

6. roadtonowhere08

I read that one angle AMD might be taking is perhaps using the lower TDP will lower idle wattage and make these SKUs more attractive for power conscious business machines with large contracts. Perhaps taking market share away from Intel that way? I don't know, but that would be an angle worth pursuing I would think. AMD is depressingly underrepresented in business machines.

TomB16 likes this.
  7. roadtonowhere08

File this under, DUH!

https://www.techpowerup.com/325568/...-boost-agesa-update-increasing-tdp-up-to-105w

I am also seeing that Zen 5 performance in Linux is a very nice step up from Zen 4, but Windows not so much with the current TDP limitations. Windows really needs to get their scheduler nonsense fixed. CPUs are not getting less complex and there are so many little tweaks that need to happen now for CPUs to shine. Microsoft really needs to get its ass in gear and hire all the QC staff back.

TomB16 likes this.
  8. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I really hope this blows up and brings low cost Zen 5 to my door. I'd buy the hell out of a 9900X but I'm a linux guy.

Did you see the Level1Techs video from earlier today?

Wendell found the 9950X lost by quite a bit to the 14900k at 1440p but beat it at 4K resolution. Very odd. Also, he found that he could make the 9950X faster than the 14900k at 1440p with some of the standard tricks like turning off security or running as admininstrator. You would expect an uplift from these things but he found a tremendous uplift, far beyond what was expected. Both of these things show strong uplift over Zen 4 without adding power.

Something is going on at ring 3 that is not going on at ring 0. I believe this is fixable by AMD but time will tell.

9. roadtonowhere08

HA! I am watching that right now.

It seems like the actual CPU is good stuff, but either AMDs software division or Microsoft need to get it optimized to show what it can do. It's very frustrating, as this kind of stuff needs to happen before the launch or it really takes the wind out of the sails. The average layperson does not understand much of this, and if they get their purchasing opinions from someone who only follows the launch headlines, that is a lost sale. Most people are not going to sit around waiting for months while issues are ironed out. Only enthusiasts do that.

But then again, Intel is a dumpster fire right now, so it's fun times.

I will say though that Linux users who use AVX-512 instructions are over the moon with AMD right now!

TomB16 likes this.
  10. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Testing shows literally every Windows app runs faster in Linux than in native windows, under Zen 5.

Brutal.

11. Rayak

Rayak Active Member

What?!?

A 175 lb sprinter can outrun a 325 lb fat, bloated one? How could THAT happen?

TomB16 likes this.
  12. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

It appears the 2H24 W11 patch brings the promised Zen 5 performance. Now we can look back at the drama and panic caused by an extremely minor performance issue that lasted 3 weeks, as we mock and laugh.

Rayak likes this.
  13. Rayak

Rayak Active Member

I can hear the fat lady warming up backstage - I'm not sure that qualifies as singing, just yet.

14. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

The new AMD CPUs are getting rave revues, looks like another winner for AMD

TomB16 and Rayak like this.
  15. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Sage words, Rayak.

I've been looking through benchmark data and find it interesting that linux scales beyond AMD/Intel claims while Windows scales less.

If you look at compile time benchmarks done by Phoronix, Zen 5 is almost twice as fast as Zen 3. Some of that is the 16% clock speed increase, however, Zen 5 does it while using 62% less power. Further, improvements are somewhat linear from generation to generation.

Meanwhile, Windows benchmarks look to me like we are up against the limits of the software. It does not scale linearly and seems to hit a bit of a wall. I'm sure Microsoft will improve their pile of junk, given time.

Rayak likes this.