AMD - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Stockaholic, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Brendan Cowie

Brendan Cowie Active Member

Wow... I wish I bought in the 2s..

2. HelloIDistance

Wow this is strong! If we get a dip Monday/Tuesday I'm thinking about coming back in. I want to open a small long position and a short term position in anticipation of a $6 runup.

3. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

i remember you well ... welcome to the new boards man!

HelloIDistance likes this.
  4. leonx81

leonx81 Well-Known Member

Out on the road most of Friday and missed all the fun! :D
    Have a nice weekend everyone.

5. Andre

Andre Active Member

Wow..it feels so goood when stock is moving higher and higher. :)
    I could miss it if I didnt find and read forum.

leonx81 likes this.
  6. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

Before I call a full scale break-out I like the second day to be a continuance of the break, with minimal dips on strong volume. Today AMD met that criteria. For two days running it closed on the HOD or one cent off like today. It actually set a new HOD near the bell. It is my opinion that some new institutions that can only buy stocks over $5 joined the party and added strength to the short squeeze.
    We could get a pull back anytime but it does not look like the buying is done yet.

upload_2016-6-17_15-11-49.png

upload_2016-6-17_15-10-19.png

7. internationalstocks

internationalstocks Active Member

I remember looking at AMD when it was under $3 where it looked like a dead stock. I remember when Gulf Investors invested so much money in this stock only to exit with a loss if I am not mistaken. Now it goes up lol..

Tiptopptrader likes this.
  8. Tiptopptrader

upload_2016-6-20_6-1-56.png

AMD Polaris GPU release date, news: Radeon RX 480 CrossFire beats GeForce GTX 1080 benchmark score by 1%

Ahead of its release later this month, performance results for the AMD Polaris-based Radeon RX 480 have hit the internet.
    The new performance results, as revealed by Video Cardz, which conducted a few tests of the highly anticipated GPU, showed AMD's new video card beating the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 by a single percent in 3DMark FireStrike benchmarks.
    http://christiantimes.com/article/a...force-gtx-1080-benchmark-score-by-1/57439.htm

Attached Files:

9. internationalstocks

internationalstocks Active Member

Where do you see this stock headed to?

10. Tiptopptrader

Near-term, $6, Mid-term $8 and long term $9.75

I didn't realize that in 2000, this was a $100 stock and in 2006 it was a $40 stock and the to drop down to the one's where it literally fell off a cliff. AMD has stiff competition with NVDA but they are taking back market share and the RX480 should step that up some. Then with the ZEN CPU coming out next year to against INTC's CPU could prove interesting.

11. Brendan Cowie

I think it's gotten ahead of itself. The RX480 doesn't even have 3rd party benchmarks yet, many people have forgotten about AMD. I haven't bought any AMD hardware in a long time and I'm a big PC gamer guy.

12. leonx81

leonx81 Well-Known Member

13. Tiptopptrader

upload_2016-6-20_7-3-29.png

Advanced Micro Devices Continues Comeback Story

At the beginning of the month, we noticed the activity in Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) and on June 3 we said this about the longer-term chart:

"In this five-year weekly chart, above, we can see the bigger base that AMD has formed from its low in late 2012. Prices are above the rising 40-week moving average line. The OBV line on this time frame has also begun to rise. The Moving Average Convergence Divergence (MACD) oscillator is also bullish. When AMD is done correcting its recent advance and closes above $5 our sights will be set on the $7.00 to $8.00 area as the next price objective."

In this updated weekly chart of AMD, above, we can see the strong weekly close above $5. We can see how the 40-week moving average line is rising nicely. The OBV line on this timeframe has made a new high confirming the price strength. The Moving Average Convergence Divergence (MACD) oscillator is bullish. There doesn't appear to be anything in the way of AMD reaching our $7 to $8 target price. Traders worried about a correction have a point, however, a correction may develop at a higher price level or be relatively shallow. I actually like to average up on a stock.

Full article with charts
    http://realmoney.thestreet.com/arti...ntinues-comeback-story?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

T0rm3nted likes this.
  14. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

Wow, now this is interesting. Competition's heating up!

15. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

yeah this was a big surprise.

Two 480's in crossfire vs one 1080, on a cost basis you getting the same performance as a $700 for $400.

The issue is that not all games support crossfire (that means using two AMD cards joined together. With NVDA cards its called SLI) and a single card sucks less power and puts out less heat.

Still, bang for the buck, you cant wrong!

16. Brendan Cowie

I did SLI with my 670s and it sucked.

You don't get double the ram only the GPU power. Never doing it again

You need a beefier power supply, a motherboard that supports it also. More heat and more power. Amd needs to beat Nvidia in all categories not just the middle

#276 Brendan Cowie, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  17. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

AMD still has the cheapest VR "ready" card on the market.

Nothing else can run a Vive or Rift at $200.

18. Jeff240sx

Jeff240sx New Member

IMO, no, it doesn't. To be a profitable company AMD can slot itself into the budget-conscious and OEM markets, allowing Nvidia to own the enthusiast market. There is a larger market for $100-200 video cards than $400+ cards as a whole.

19. Brendan Cowie

VR is likely the future but I think we are getting ahead of ourselves right here.

20. Brendan Cowie

We will see, I would like AMD to get back to the Athlon XP days so we can have some real competition again.