AMD - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Stockaholic, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

Interesting day as AMD was was 2 cents away from my $4 target and then the markets melted down, and between profit taking and the shorts joining the party it closed Even Steven @3.79. It is still my belief the institutions want to keep the price lower as they are not done buying.

Lisa Su, we need some news to collect on the May $4 calls :)

FastEddy likes this.
  2. Tiptopptrader

AMD enjoys a rare market share increase
    R9 series graphics cards sees AMD claw back some market share from Nvidia.

AMD's just happily shared some good news for the once leading graphics card brand. According to research firm Mercury Research, AMD's share of the discrete graphics market increased by 3.2 per cent quarter on quarter. This takes AMD's total market share to 29.4 per cent.

Breaking it down further, this is made up of a 1.8 per cent increase in desktop graphics, to 22.7 per cent, and rather impressive jump of 7.3 per cent in discrete notebook graphics. That total share is no 38.7 per cent of the market.

According to Mercury Research, this increase is based on a combination of the new R9 GPUs, and AMD's increased focus on driver development.

So, out of curiosity, have any of you switched from Team Green to Team Red recently?
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/419711,amd-enjoys-a-rare-market-share-increase.aspx

3. Tiptopptrader

With semiconductors up this morning in a mixed market AMD is up on high volume and is what is needed for the bullish pennant

upload_2016-5-18_6-53-17.png

4. DoveJohns

DoveJohns Active Member

It seems like it will crash that resistance even with a glimpse of good market environment. It keeps going up close to 3.95 and overall negative market environment pull it back for now. I wouldn't mind adding more if we get another pull back.

I could add Nvidia too. I think VR is the future. They just need to make frickin devices smaller and expand.

5. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

And cheaper too. I think I'm not the only one who doesn't feel like bying a product with such a limited capacity (for now).

6. Tiptopptrader

It has been a hard climb to break $4 even with a market share leak today. There was another increase in volume to compliment the pennant but could be partly due to the big market reversal today. Never the less to breakout increasing volume is part of the cocktail.

upload_2016-5-18_18-15-29.png

FastEddy likes this.
  7. leonx81

leonx81 Well-Known Member

Closed my May 20 call with some profits today... :)

8. Tiptopptrader

Here is a little better breakdown on the GPU market share increase for AMD

Tech site PCPer got its hands on the latest GPU market report from Mercury Research, and relays that AMD increased its market share, quarter-to-quarter by 3.2 per cent, to gain a total 29.4 per cent of the discrete GPU market in Q1 2016. It is noted that while AMD has achieved a decent gain, the Radeon range has, in recent history, enjoyed a much larger slice of the GPU market share pie.

Breaking down the discrete GPU figures between desktop and laptop graphics results in the following table

upload_2016-5-19_5-52-26.png

http://hexus.net/business/news/comp...pu-market-share-enjoys-slight-uplift-q1-2016/

9. Tiptopptrader

Just out...This looks pretty positive for AMD which makes sense or they would not bring it out early

New AMD Polaris 10 & 11 Details Hit The Web – 8 GB of GDDR5X Memory clocked at 7 Gbps
    What’s more interesting about Polaris GPUs is that they are supposed to make the ‘minimum VR spec’ more affordable for everyone. Roy Taylor, AMD’s Corporate VP, Content & VR, recently said in an interview with Ars Technica:

The reason Polaris is a big deal, is because I believe we will be able to grow that TAM [total addressable market] significantly. I don’t think Nvidia is going to do anything to increase the TAM, because according to everything we’ve seen around Pascal, it’s a high-end part. I don’t know what the price is gonna be, but let’s say it’s as low as £500/$600 and as high as £800/$1000. That price range is not going to expand the TAM for VR. We’re going on the record right now to say Polaris will expand the TAM. Full stop.

More http://techfrag.com/2016/05/19/amd-polaris-10-11-specs-hit-web-8-gb-gddr5x-memory-clocked-7-gbps/

10. Tiptopptrader

Attached Files:

11. Tiptopptrader

12. Tiptopptrader

The leaks keep coming out as we get closer to June 1 and the $4 target

upload_2016-5-23_7-36-16.png

AMD 7th Generation APU Lineup And Specifications Leaked – Flagship SKU Features 4 x86 Excavator Based Cores and 8 GCN 3.0 CUs
    AMD’s 7th Generation APU specifications leaked – 50% faster than Kaveri

AMD is getting ready to unveil its 7th Generation APU lineup at Computex in a few weeks, but since our readers can’t wait that long, we thought we would post the specifications of AMD’s upcoming lineup of AM4 APUs anyways. The brand new processors will be landing in June along with the AM4 motherboards and will be the first to feature Excavator on the mainstream desktop platform. They will offer significant performance increases over the previous iterations of Kaveri and Carrizo (Mobility).
    http://wccftech.com/amd-7th-generat...res-4-x86-excavator-based-cores-8-gcn-30-cus/

13. Tiptopptrader

Now trading at the $4 target price boys and girls with big resistance at 4.

upload_2016-5-23_9-21-31.png

FastEddy likes this.
  14. DoveJohns

DoveJohns Active Member

It finally broke that $3.95-4 resistance and soaring right now.

$4.14 (+7.1%)

15. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Here are some new stats!

Looking good for AMD

[​IMG]

16. Tiptopptrader

The run today may have been because of a couple of leaks and then the Moody's credit upgrade. I wasn't expecting a big move until June 1 when the CEO talks. AMD was running hard without any big dips today until the broader market started selling off. Looking at the 1st chart the breakout has started on more than double the average volume (the other part of the cocktail) Up 4 cents in AH on 854K traded. My next target is 4.50 once it breaks the 4.25 resistance.

upload_2016-5-23_18-29-43.png

AMD IS WORKING ON A BOLLYWOOD VR MOVIE
    http://vrworld.com/2016/05/23/amd-working-vr-bollywood-movie/

upload_2016-5-23_18-21-20.png

FastEddy, T0rm3nted and StockJock-e like this.
  17. Tiptopptrader

Up 11 cents in pre-market on good early volume.

AMD To Present At J.P. Morgan Global TMT Conference; Webcast At 8:40 AM ET

(RTTNews.com) - Advanced Micro Devices Inc. ( AMD ) will present at the J.P. Morgan, Global Technology, Media & Telecom Conference in Boston.
    The event is scheduled to begin at 8:40 AM ET on May 24, 2016.

To access the live webcast, log on to http://ir.amd.com

18. Tiptopptrader

AMD down on a combination of profit taking and the shorts trying to drive it down. I don't see a buying op at this point unless driven down harder. It would be a good time for some calls though

upload_2016-5-24_7-26-28.png

19. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

Yes, solid 2nd place after nVidia (as always)! Still impressive though, are we gonna see some competition some time in the future?

20. Tiptopptrader

It is not about 1st or 2nd place even though AMD has taken back a little market share from NVDA. It is about TAM, VR, and APU's to name a few as AMD now has a foot print in China. I am not a NVDA hater but I am about reaping the rewards of AMD as it climbs the ladder.

It appears the shorts may have walked into a bull trap as they pushed it down to 3.92

upload_2016-5-24_9-18-18.png

AMD Stock: This Is the Next Big Thing for Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    http://www.profitconfidential.com/s...he-next-big-thing-for-advanced-micro-devices/