AMD - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Stockaholic, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Dropping nicely A.H. showing about 14.7 million shares. Definitely have this on watch for some distant calls.

2. AverageJoesTrades

AverageJoesTrades Well-Known Member

AMD is getting absolutely crushed! almost hitting 10s right now.

@Onepoint272 - are you backing up the truck yet?

3. AverageJoesTrades

gap fill coming up @ 10.67:confused:

4. Lonnie Ray

Lonnie Ray Active Member

Grabbed a few @11

5. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Watching this , F and a couple more for some calls. Cha-Ching..

6. MajZe

MajZe New Member

Picked up a few shares last month and my final average was $13.15. Sold about 1/4 of them for a 2% gain yesterday in case earnings miss, I am glad they are on track. But boy am I going to be holding tight for a while now.

7. leonx81

leonx81 Well-Known Member

At the last minute before the market closed yesterday, I sold 5K shares that I bought at $12.81 but still holding my calls and the remaining 2100 shares which I bought at $8.60.

Picked up 3k shares this morning at $11.02 and will hold for a while.

upload_2017-5-2_9-34-30.png

8. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

AMD stock fell 12% in early trading as bulls piled on the company's disappointing outlook for this quarter's gross profit margin, arguing
    the company hasn't met high expectations after a 256% run in the shares over the past 12 months. Bulls argued the quarter and outlook show the company is on track with its new product roll-outs, which means it's worth it to stick with the shares.

http://www.barrons.com/articles/advanced-micro-drops-12-wheres-the-beef-ask-bears-1493730722

Shares of Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) are down $1.65, or 12%, at $11.97, in pre-market trading, extending last night's after-market losses, after the company yesterday afternoon reported Q1 results more or less in line with consensus, and forecast this quarter's revenue higher, but raised questions about its comeback given what seemed to some lower-than-expected gross profit margin.

In focus this morning is the company's outlook for gross profit margin of 33% this quarter, a point below the 34% achieved last quarter. To investors, after a sharp run up in the shares, a decline in gross profit from one quarter to the next is not acceptable given new "Ryzen" processors coming into the market.

Despite a discussion of the matter by CEO Lisa Su and her executive team on the conference call following the report, that hasn't obviously stopped the stock fall nor prevented some critical language in the Street coverage this morning.

There is at least one downgrade of the stock this morning, by Macquarie's Srini Pajjuri, who cut his rating to Underperform from Neutral, and cut his price target to $10 from $14, writing that the results and outlook are simply not enough given high expectations.

9. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

These kinds of moves are bound happen after such an amazing run!

Opportunities on the dips IMO

10. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Bought my calls, this will be fine imo.

StockJock-e likes this.
  11. AverageJoesTrades

@Timbo - how far out are you looking?

12. AverageJoesTrades

scooping up calls now - for Jan expiration 13s and 14s

StockJock-e likes this.
  13. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

AMD Didn't Give Wall Street the ‘Near-Perfect’ Quarter It Wanted
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...all-street-the-near-perfect-quarter-it-wanted

Advanced Micro Devices Inc. earnings had a high bar to surpass. Based on Wall Street’s reaction, the chipmaker fell well short.

The company’s shares fell 20 percent Tuesday, the most in almost three years, after AMD forecast a sequential decline in adjusted gross margin for the current quarter. That damped bullish sentiment that sent the stock up 20 percent through the first four months of 2017 on bets its latest chip would bolster margins.

“Results clearly fell short of high expectations the stock was reflecting,” Macquarie Capital analyst Srini Pajjuri wrote in a note to clients. “Valuation still implies significant share gains as well as margin expansion, which we believe will prove to be a challenge.” Pajjuri downgraded the stock to underperform from neutral.

14. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Not far enough, I got smoked. Lol..

15. homosapienfromterra

homosapienfromterra Active Member

I work in I.T. You might think those geeky guys are adventurous, not a bit of it they are next to accounts / finance in being unadventurous. So a new processor comes out, that usually means a new mainboard with a new chipset. Is the new computer stable, is it cheaper for the same performance, can they still do their automated software builds? They are going to want to test small numbers see how they workout. Then when the next refresh comes along, typically 5 years these days, they might buy quantities. Now the home market is different but then the home computer market is contracting. People are used to the prices of computers dropping but we no longer see this, the prices are rising steadily, I think faster than people get wage rises. Also people can take their work laptops home and use them. That leaves computers for children, students and gamers. So I don't see AMD taking business away from Intel in any sharp volume ramp. I am an AMD bear

16. AverageJoesTrades

I don't buy it, I'm with @Onepoint272 's analysis support around 10-11, Long term this is great investment. I loaded up on the following calls ~2:00EST today Jul 11/Oct 12 /Jan 13/Jan 14. Didn't buy the bottom, but pretty close.

Every gap has to fill, right - we filled the 10.62

17. Unicorn Dreams

Prices won't drop unless AMD becomes more competitive in the chip market. There's practically zero reason now to buy an AMD cpu with the G4560 performing so well at sub 50$(it's pretty easy to find a deal 10-15% off on it). I'm in the process of building a dedicated trading PC with the Pentium. It's going to cost me barely over 200 dollars, and that's with a SSD.

18. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Did a free scan with vectorvest, it shows the value at $ 1.62 per share.LOL.

19. homosapienfromterra

homosapienfromterra Active Member

I see storage as a huge growth area, departments within companies wanting to create training video's, mailboxes growing at an huge rate, data warehousing etc.

Austin vanderweide likes this.
  20. Pouie

Pouie Member

GEE I KIND OF WISH I SOLD YESTERDAY

Austin vanderweide likes this.