Are Canadian markets topping ????

Discussion in 'Canadian Stocks Message Boards' started by DvAbCanEh!, Jul 11, 2016.

1. DvAbCanEh!

DvAbCanEh! New Member

Mr. Conservative investor is "Just saying", if I was a newbee market investor just dipping a toe in now, I sure wouldn't stick it to deep with the markets this high. I have kept a record of my portfolio since early 1984 and have seen many tops and bottoms over the years some damn scary to say the least. With patients and some common sense they are good opportunities and pleasant memories.
    Just looking back a couple of years, there have been 3 topping markets when my portfolio topped to almost the same value within a few thousand dollars, 1st was Aug 2014 then a 8% drop by Dec 2014, 2nd topped Apr 2015 then retreated 9% by Sept 2015, 3rd is today my portfolio just went over the top.
    Advice! keep some cash on hand and if we see another few percent rise from here "take some profits and build cash"
    Be careful what you buy at market tops, cash is king.
    What do you all say? comments wanted
    DvAbCanEh!

2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

I've learned to stop trying to predict tops, but I can't see another +10 to 15% here without a meaningful downtrend somewhere this year.

3. Epicram

Epicram Member

In Recent Times, Canadian Market is paced high and almost all stock is touching high.

4. shellybear

shellybear Member

Until interest for consumers reaches a reasonable level , where it makes sense to put you money in the bank and collect interest that keeps pace with inflation, investors will continue to invest in the stock markets. Investment , where returns in even safe dividend paying stocks are much greater than what you can receive in return on savings bonds or term deposits.
    Canadian stock markets also more affected by resource prices than other stock markets, and of late that part is moving very positively with the TRUMP administration promising infrastructure spending.
    Of note spot ZINC price at a multi year high, copper heading back towards 3$ a lb and crude oil staying above 50$ US for the time being. ALL very positive for Canadian resource stocks. IN the past 52 weeks , we have seen some incredible gains in some of the big resource names.
    HBM, up from 3$ a year ago to 11.50 currently, TECK Resources , one year ago 7.50 , today 32.60, just to highlight a couple on my watchlists.
    ANd if the latest movement in metals is any indication, 2017 may be another great year for these plays. Hard to buy in after such big runs, but these type of stocks trade not soley on fundamentals and earnings, but also on forward expectations.

#4 shellybear, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  5. SleekyTrader

SleekyTrader Member

Canadian Market actually has a lot of catching up to do.The TSXV has barely started its recovery and is still very far from 2011 levels