Auto manufacturer death watch

Discussion in 'Investing' started by TomB16, Jul 14, 2022.

1. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I wish to point out that much of my point of view pivots on FSD and automated charging. I expect Tesla's V4 Supercharger network to feature auto connect.

If Tesla cannot pull an FSD rabbit out of a hat, legacy auto will have a lot less to worry about.

My view is that Tesla is 85% likely to succeed with FSD but this remains to be seen.

2. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I considered the implications of posting a provocative and divisive thread like this for a couple of days before posting it. If I knew it was a hot button, why would I post it?

None of us learn anything when we agree. Knowledge gain comes from considering the position of people who think differently than we do.

Further, what if I'm wrong? What if the majors notice that EVs are the way of the future, scale up production, and blow everyone out of the water?

Arguments are good. I'm not talking about, "I'm going to drive to your town and burn your house down" arguments. I'm talking about people with different points of view providing data to support their position. Arguing and disagreeing can and should be done respectfully.

My perspective has been improved by this thread. Thank you to those who have participated.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  3. roadtonowhere08

roadtonowhere08 Well-Known Member

Anyone for the "China will just rip everyone's IP off and rule the market eventually" option?

T0rm3nted and TomB16 like this.
  4. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

:thumbsup:

... and we will do nothing about it, even when they make us endure multiple years of supply chain issues, because we want to be able to buy a refrigerator for $14.75.

roadtonowhere08 likes this.
  5. roadtonowhere08

roadtonowhere08 Well-Known Member

That's cheap!!! Where? I'll jump in my car right now even though I have 4...

TomB16 likes this.
  6. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

The problem with the automotive industry is the overhead and recurring cost associated within. The big 3 learned this when Honda,Datsun,etc ate their lunch in the 70s. Numerous bailouts later they are in the same position. Much like a company that pays a dividend by acquiring more debt.

7. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

is this a type of company to which you are referring? it has an excellent dividend.
    ----
    About Us
    Founded in 2008, AGNC Investment Corp. (“AGNC”) is an internally-managed real estate investment trust (“REIT”).
    We invest predominately in agency residential mortgage-backed securities on a leveraged basis, financed primarily through collateralized borrowings structured as repurchase agreement

8. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20220716-160804_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20220716-160953_Samsung Internet.jpg

Definitely not for me.