Blackrock?

Discussion in 'Investing' started by Jason Pearson, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Jason Pearson

Jason Pearson New Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm pretty new to all this...but have managed to be pretty good at saving money and have a savings account that's built up over the years. I switched banks a few years ago so my CD's I take out would have a higher interest rate. Now and then, the bank reaches out to me about investing, with the most recent being a BlackRock 'Target Allocation model'. Essentially, you choose which type you want... 80/20, 90/10, etc... which determines the rate of risk, with a 0/100 model being the least risky.

I've went over everything, and it seems like a good idea...* should * draw in more interest than a CD, even at the lowest risk plan... including the 1% free my bank charges (at least I believe they said 1%). As I am only in my mid 30's, it seems like it would be a good way to go long term as the CD rates have went down drastically over the last year or so. I guess what I'm wondering is there anything I'm overlooking? There seems to be little risk (at least with the lower risk models) in that I can pull the account at any time... but just seems "too easy" to me...

2. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with these Blackrock funds but I wish to point out that portfolio balancing is a philosophy that many people believe in while some do not. Personally, I do not balance my portfolio.

“Selling your winners and holding your losers is like cutting the flowers and watering the weeds.” - Peter Lynch

So, these ETFs are probably OK but I am extremely sceptical they would perform as well as holding $10,000 of bonds or high interest savings and the rest in VOO without ever balancing. The bonds being a fire extinguisher for anyone under 50 years of age. For people near retirement, the cash should go up to provide a buffer in case of a market down turn when the money is needed.

Jason Pearson and Rustic1 like this.
  3. Rustic1

Rustic1 Well-Known Member

I do my own but recently liquidated.
    Blackrock has some good funds but I preferred the CEFs, most paid monthly dividends.
    DSU was a decent one.

GLADSTONE has a couple decent ones also.

Any type of investments carry a degree of risk.

Jason Pearson likes this.
  4. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Not to mention the relatively high MER of managed funds.

5. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

If I was going to be invested in an ETF, it would be in Queen Cathie. In ARKK we trust

B Russ, TomB16 and Rustic1 like this.
  6. Jason Pearson

Jason Pearson New Member

hmmmm. Thank you everyone. I'm so new to this. Just trying to find a good starting place!

B Russ and TomB16 like this.