CFW Warrants

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by chambeb1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. chambeb1

chambeb1 New Member

Hello- I am trying to understand the value of leverage by using warrants instead of common stock. The ticker in question is CFW.T Do warrants tend to move in lockstep( same $ value increase vs same % increase) with the common shares, but giving you multiple times the leverage? In this case the common shares are approx 4$ and warrants are 2$. essentially i can buy twice as many warrants and get twice the leverage here. there are 3 years remaining on the warrants and they are .50$ away from being in the money as the exercise price is $2.50 so i would be breakeven when the common stock hits $4.50 what do you think of purchasing a few of them at this price point.

Lefrance likes this.
  2. spindr0

spindr0 Active Member

Warrants are equivalent to long term options. They provide leverage but that doesn't kick in unless the underlying moves up sharply.

In a 1:1 comparison, on an expiration basis, to the upside, the warrant's gain will always lag the common by 50 cents. ROI will be higher.

In a 1:1 comparison, on an expiration basis, to the downside, the warrant will lose less below $2.

On a 2:1 basis (twice as many warrants), on an expiration basis, the stock does better than two warrants. Above $5, two warrants will make twice as much as 100 common shares (per dollar rise).