Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 Pandemic: News, Updates, Discussion

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by bigbear0083, Feb 14, 2020.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Content Manager
    Staff Member

COVID-19 In Charts

The S&P 500 Index flirted with closing above 3,000 yesterday, even as much of the economic data is some of the worst we’ve ever seen in our lifetimes. We are often asked how this is possible. The reality is the double backstop of historic fiscal and monetary policy combined with optimism over a potential vaccine coming before the end of 2020 has created a surge of market confidence, leading to a massive equity rally.

At the same time, much of the daily data regarding COVID-19 in the US continues to trend lower. “Yes, we have the same worries as everyone else regarding a spike in new cases as social distancing is relaxed and a potential second wave later this year,” explained LPL Senior Market Strategist Ryan Detrick. “But what we know today is the number of new cases, deaths, people in hospitals, on incubators, and in ICU units are all trending lower and making some of the lowest levels seen in months. In other words, social distancing has worked so far.”

Here are a handful of COVID-19 charts we have been watching that indeed show positive trends.

Focusing on the LPL Chart of the Day, the US is closing in on a tragic number of 100,000 deaths, yet the overall daily number have been decreasing significantly.

[​IMG]

The 7-day average of new cases is the lowest since early April.

[​IMG]

The number of tests in the US has been coming in at more than 400,000 a day recently, and the overall percentage of positive results has been trending to new lows as well. More testing is a key to beating this, and we are seeing it.

[​IMG]

The number of new cases in the US was recently up only 1.2% from the previous day, another new low.

[​IMG]

Less than 37,000 people were hospitalized due to COVID-19, well off the peak of nearly 60,000.

[​IMG]

Similarily, the number of people in the ICU in the US has trended lower and is near the lowest levels since early April.

[​IMG]

These are all trends in the right direction and we are seeing similar results in Asia and Europe. Unfortunately, South America is being hit quite hard right now and isn’t yet at a peak. We will continue to monitor these numbers daily for clues as to whether these favorable trends are continuing.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  2. Vdubman

Vdubman Active Member

Well confirmed case at the kids daycare center today. Same age group as well. I’ll know more tomorrow and may have to self isolate for two weeks.

I’m glad I brought my laptop and headset home from work today.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  3. SomeDudeAtHome

This is a weird illness when it comes to kids. I hope your child doesn't catch it. That's been my biggest fear with all of this with my son. I'd be ok and could deal with whatever but some many unknowns when it comes to kids. I wish you and your family the best.

Vdubman likes this.
  4. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry to hear that man, stay home and take that quarantine seriously. Hope you and the family stay healthy

Vdubman likes this.
  5. Vdubman

Vdubman Active Member

Well the case looks like it was one of the teachers in the kiddos room so confirmed 14 day isolation. Wife was just tested so she is taking the fall if we all have it and have a symptomatic conditions.

this is going to be interesting since both work places have told us we can work so long as neither of us have tested positive and since we have not been in close contact with the positive patient. Someone has to stay home with the kid too.

6. Vdubman

Vdubman Active Member

Well apparently 2 other teachers in the same branch tested positive and a few kids also so the county sent out notice to all parents to get their kids tested.

Luckily my kid tested negative along with the wife however the kid has fevers and an ear infection right now. The whole branch is closed and about 60 kids are on self quarantine. The two other branches are supposedly ok right now so the entire center isn’t closed (about 120 kids).

word from the owners is that apparently parents were trying to send their kids to other centers instead of self quarantining for 14 days which is illegal .

This comes as apparently another large provider in town also has a large cluster come up last week/this week. It appears they may shut down the whole place if more are tested positive.

So many people at work are not wearing masks as well saying “it doesn’t stop you from getting coronavirus” and I’m over here like, I’ll just wfh now.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  7. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry to hear that :( Our kid hasn't been in daycare since everything shut down in March. She's scheduled to start pre-preschool in the Fall, but who knows if that goes on as planned.

8. Vdubman

Vdubman Active Member

Ditto here. I’ve been checking often information regarding k-12 schools starting In the fall since my kid is planned for kindergarten and she absolutely can’t wait another year to start.

The state has Said they need districts to respond whether they will do in school, mixed in school and digital, or full digital for the fall so students and families can prepare before Sept 1 start dates. I would be ok with a mixed as needed or reduced class sizes but hey, I still have to work.

9. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Sorry to hear that but good to hear your kid is tested negative. Take care

Vdubman likes this.
  10. The Brontide

The Brontide Active Member

@Vdubman

I hear ya man. I I wish the best for all those exposed in your life.

I have tested not positive last month. Did a lot of cross country travelling in February after my father passed. As of now I have learned I have now lost three people in my life just since the end of January. My wife has lost three of her work associates on both coasts also.

I ask believers and non- believers alike, please be careful and mindful of others. Protecting yourself is protecting everyone around you. And my soul is weary of the news anymore.

11. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry for your losses :(

The Brontide likes this.
  12. A55

A55 Active Member

condolences

The Brontide likes this.
  13. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

T0rm3nted likes this.