COVID-19 Pandemic: News, Updates, Discussion

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Stockaholic, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

as i had posted earlier on the weekly market thread, i am really keeping my fingers crossed for you guys out there that we start to see some better news on the covid-19 front very soon. this is really starting to concern even myself, even though there have been no confirmed cases where i'm at (for now) :(

that was more tongue in cheek on my part.

obviously i hope i am dead wrong with that assumption there.

but, sometimes it is hard for me to feel optimistic when you keep hearing new cases spiking in areas you least expect them to.

i'm really hoping we start seeing some flattening/plateauing on new cases shortly.

i have no idea how this ends really. only hoping for the best at this point.

it's really disconcerting... can only take it one day at a time. =/

stock1234 likes this.
  2. EmmanuelGrand87

EmmanuelGrand87 New Member

This is so scary. I can't wait for it to just go away like other viruses. It is terrible what happened to China and what is now spreading over the world. This is a direct consequence of globalization, obviously. It could have stayed in China if we didn't travel so much.

3. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Surprising numbers from Italy this past week, and South Korea too.

Stockaholic likes this.
  4. Optionslayer

Optionslayer Member

For the most part its a infodemic.

Virus's come and go.
    Its not the end of the world like most would have you believe.
    Concerned? Yes, but not to the point of hiding in the corner and peeking out the window.

WAY OVERBLOWN by the hoopleheads.

5. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

South Korea had a massive jump in cases, +505 to 1766

6. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

578 students found to have fevers on Taiwan's 1st day of school

7. SomeDudeAtHome

Starting to move into the US. Things will get real interesting next week.

8. heaton44

heaton44 New Member

I've been to the airport the other day and everyone is wearing masks. I wonder if it's really useful.

9. SomeDudeAtHome

Most people wear them incorrectly so they aren't very useful. Also general hygiene like washing hands well and not touching face and eyes has been shown to be more useful than a mask.

Optionslayer likes this.
  10. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

The covid-19 is the result/continuation of the tariff war with china.

Our story begins in 2018, while we went and negotiated a deal with China, China found out that our markets are EXTREMELY volatile based on news breaks covering the trade deals.

It then decided to leave the negotiation table in "good faith". But as that period ended, lo and behold, the conronavirus was born - in China. China knew, just by studying the US market reaction during the "tariff wars" that by creating this "bigger than life" virus (some will conspire, even purposely) it will stop ALL goods/services from being traded with the states which will result in market panic, just as it had during the negotiation period. In other words, what youre witnessing right now is the market panicking over the immediate cessation of trade with China, NOT the fear of the actual virus itself. China created this "terrorist virus" implementing horrible visuals in form of videos that "leaked" to social media and eventually the news channels, of hospitals dumping bodies into trucks, high alert drills, and many other visual optics that show the world how terrible this new virus is, which is basically a normal flu, as harmful as any other flu minus the optics. They are DONE negotiating with us. They are now striking. Very very clever. But wait, it doesnt end there, Iran seems to be "suffering" from this too. The visuals of their deputy health minister sweating coughing, eventually testing positive for the disease are contributing to the shock value and further expansion of the threat to the west/US (certainly to Israel, a small county, whos in high alert more than most countries in the region, excluding "Iran"). I mean, its their Health Minister for heavens sakes.. what are the odds of that happening???
    Who wouldve thunk it - Iran and China huh? Amazing.
    And on top of everything, this is happening on an election year, the very thought of people going to the polls with a devastated economy in mind and a TOTALLY annihilated market will hand the dems (likely Sanders) the elections.
    China is spreading panic and terror into the world in the form of a normal flu virus, in an age where social media builds news stories and channeling them to fake news networks quicker than ever before. Heck, even the non-fake news networks are spreading this terror (Im looking at you Tucker), and I am gravely concerned about the safety of our country - more than the health situation - since it absolutely doesn't add more health risk to our country than a normal flu virus in comparison to a market crash and social tear which are very very imminent.

11. Stockaholic

Covid-19 Cases and Mortality Rates By Country
    Tue, Mar 3, 2020

One of the factors that makes it so hard for investors to grapple with the Covid-19 coronavirus is that there really aren't very good numbers related to the mortality rate, and if you look at the mortality rates by individual countries, they vary widely. Reasons for the variance range from lack of available testing infrastructure to a general distrust of statistics being reported by certain governments. With those two caveats in mind, a look at current infection and mortality rates shows a disconcerting picture from a US perspective. The table below shows the number of cases and deaths due to the coronavirus broken down by country. These figures were pulled from the incredibly useful Johns Hopkins Coronavirus monitor, and we only included countries that have reported more than ten cases of Covid-19.

The table below is sorted by mortality rate from highest to lowest, and here is one case where the US doesn't want to be winning. With a current rate of 5.6%, the mortality rate from confirmed Covid-19 cases in the US is higher than any other country in the world including Iran which comes in at 3.3%. Obviously, the lack of available testing in the US from a shortage of test kits has resulted in fewer tests than other countries, so the number of confirmed cases in the US is likely a lot lower than the number currently flowing around undetected. However, the fact that the US even finds itself here in the first place isn't the most comforting thing for Americans already worried about the spread of the virus!

[​IMG]

The chart below shows the ten countries/regions with the highest mortality rates from the Covid-19 outbreak. The US is nearly a full two percentage points above China (3.7%) and a full three percentage points above every other country besides Iran. Again, as testing expands in the US, the number of cases will undoubtedly rise as milder cases are detected, but even in that case, testing procedures capacity in the US should have been a lot faster to ramp up.

[​IMG]

12. Stockaholic

well i'm still hopeful we'll start to hear better news on the covid-19 front in the u.s. and around the world soon...

but, admittedly it does look like we are headed for that scenario i was thinking of a few weeks back unfortunately =/

stock1234 likes this.
  13. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Looking pretty bad now in Seattle, California, and NY, etc. :( I hope nobody lives in those areas in this forum, stay healthy everyone. Even Hawaii has zero case, I am not sure if it is actually zero since we haven't tested anyone.

Stockaholic likes this.
  14. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

T0rm3nted and Stockaholic like this.
  15. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

We are going to see numbers start to double every two days now.

Stockaholic likes this.
  16. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

stock1234 and Three Eyes like this.
  17. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Without bodies in the arena to absorb sound, the pep bands are gonna sound really loud with lots of echo.

18. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Would the bands even be there? You'd think they'd eliminate that too in order to keep as many people safe as possible?

19. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Yeah, I was thinking that and the cheerleaders, too. Except I think the networks would really want those things for TV audience. Maybe safety will trump the $ after all...?

20. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Good one!

Three Eyes likes this.