Daily Discussion - Main Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by T0rm3nted, Feb 8, 2021.

1. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Active Member

Good call once again Marcy on the market run up. Let’s see how things shake out after tomorrow’s fomc. Not really sure what to expect (market reaction-wise). Maybe a sell on the news event? Seems like markets just kinda chopping around at these upper levels the past few weeks. Would kinda like to see one more thrust higher to really top things off on this bull run. Maybe we can see that happen sometime next month as we’re inching closer to the sell in may go away period soon.

Still nothing terribly interests me in the markets right now. It’s a bit too lofty for my liking at these levels. A nice healthy correction would be really refreshing to see.

It’s a bit crazy but cash S&P has not experienced a greater than -2% pullback off of an ATH since this run began last Oct. That’s a long time. Hence a nice dip is very much overdue here.

Again, I won’t be a true believer of a meaningful and lasting market pullback until we see Frankenstein back at it again in here. I’m secretly hoping that’s gonna be somewhat soon ngl :p

stock1234 likes this.
  2. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I think there'll be a selloff after tomorrow's FOMC. And I think it could lead to a -5% pullback, back toward SPX 5050. Do not read anything into such a reaction because it is more than just FOMC that could cause a pullback. Fact is the FOMC will not be a big change from the path that we are currently on, in spite of economic "news" being intent on dissecting every little word.

QQQ is really underperfoming SPY this month, so I am expecting FOMC tomorrow to continue that trend.

stock1234 likes this.
  3. anotherdevilsadvocate

Normally we get seven 3% dips in a year (every other month, on average).
    [​IMG]

stock1234 and bigbear0083 like this.
  4. bigbear0083

Are we getting closer to some kind of a meaningful blow off moment in this market? :eek:

Really thought if there was a day to see a reversal would be during the fomc presser today that never materialized.

Eventually what goes up bigly must come down bigly amirite? :p Crazy run. Never a dull moment in this market.

I keep thinking the sell off is coming that never arrives but I gotta think tomorrow will finally be the day (even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while eh). We shall see lol.

#4184 bigbear0083, Mar 20, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    stock1234 likes this.
  5. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

S&P added $10T in market cap since Oct lows, that is an insane number!

+$100B per day!

stock1234 and bigbear0083 like this.
  6. bigbear0083

Closing in on another large round # for a major average.

nowwhat from the old HSM boards woulda been pouncing all over this one :p

I wonder if they still hold the tradition on the floor of the NYSE handing out Dow caps after every major round number milestone. 40K Dow might be a big deal for those guys.

Almost feels like the markets have been pulling off a bitcoin action the past few days lol.

The longer this market runs w/o a healthy dip the harder the fall. Will admit I’m really surprised this has run as much as it has. The FED hasn’t even begun the rate cutting cycle and QE yet. What happens when that actually gets realized? :eek: Crazy markets!

stock1234 likes this.
  7. bigbear0083

not sure if we can call the past few sessions much of a pullback. what are we about a % off the ATH?

no surprises that this week has been kind of lackluster as this is after all a holiday short trading week with the friday closure for good friday.

i suspect more of the same for the next week absent something completely shocking outta left field.

hope everyone is having a great kickoff to their spring! good to be away from the markets and enjoying the nice spring weather. :D

stock1234 likes this.
  8. bigbear0083

Finally a little bit a movement in the majors. Remains to be seen if this has legs or if the BTFDers drive this back to new highs again.

Still not fully a believer until we see Frankenstein check in here. Which hopefully isn’t too much longer. :p

stock1234 likes this.
  9. Neil Allen

Neil Allen Well-Known Member

GRRR: was .54 on 12/23/24; hit .80 today: News: GRRR: Secures Contract to Pioneer Security Solutions in Colombia. Target price $5. "LONDON, April 02, 2024 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Gorilla Technology Group Inc. (GRRR) ("Gorilla"), a global solution provider in Security Intelligence, Network Intelligence, Business Intelligence, and IoT technology, today announced its recent success in securing a significant contract to implement its cutting-edge Security Convergence Smart City Video Analytics Solutions in the Casanare province of Colombia. This venture is conducted in close collaboration with esteemed partner Protactics, who will be instrumental in establishing a state-of-the-art intelligence center within the province."

10. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

What a run by silver today :eek: Q2 is off the a shaky start for equities, let's see if the ADP will move the market tomorrow :D In recent months it seems like the ADP always reported a lower number than the NFP on Friday and if it remains the case then we could see yields moving back down lower :hmm:

11. bigbear0083

ok so serious question for the group here... is it just me, or have the markets felt like one ginormous bore fest this year?

granted i've not had much of any skin in the game for the past year + so perhaps that could just be a "me" thing that is contributing to the feeling.

sure, but looking around the markets as a whole generally speaking, absolutely nothing looks interesting out there.

markets have been pegged at nosebleed levels for a long time now with hardly much give back.

i get that we're in an election year, and i believe according to stock trader's alamanc those have tended to be positive years historically speaking.

idk, maybe 'tis just me...and perhaps the bear in me is just looking for a major market event to spice things up again.

i suspect this may also be a reason why a lot financial communities (even reddit's wallstreetbets) has seen a significant drop off in user activity as of recently.

i think if the market actually experiences a nice healthy and meaningful correction will bring about a nice pick up in activity again.

i just don't know what kind of catalyst can actually do the job, outside of something very black swan-ish like.

not that i'm hoping for a black swan event, but like something to get things moving again, because this year has been like watching paint dry.

we're 3 months into this year and it's felt very uninspiring out there. :yawn:

stock1234 likes this.
  12. stock1234

LOL I can't remember when was the last 10% correction :lauging:

13. stock1234

Google plans to charge for AI-powered search engine, FT reports | Reuters

April 3 (Reuters) - Alphabet's (GOOGL.O), opens new tab Google is considering charging for premium features on its generative AI-powered search engine, the Financial Times reported on Wednesday, citing people familiar with the plan.

The tech giant is looking at a variety of options, including incorporating AI-powered search features to its premium subscription services, which already provide access to its new Gemini AI assistant in Gmail and Docs, the report said.

Moved a little lower AH on the news :eek:

14. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

As someone who's got a decent % of my funds in NVDA, I can tell you this year has not been boring lol

15. roadtonowhere08

roadtonowhere08 Well-Known Member

Definitely not boring :banana:

stock1234 likes this.
  16. Money123

Money123 Active Member

Looks like up we go strong job report up over 100 thousand. I thought we were in a pullback so took off investment and cashed in a few weeks ago. Maybe were headed up more thoughts?

17. anotherdevilsadvocate

This week's start might be rough, but we can go higher still.

18. anotherdevilsadvocate

Was just looking at the weekly chart for VIX, with the Bollinger Band. The bands are squeezing there, with VIX pushing the top band.
    My thinking has been that we go down this week, to get the weekly losing streak all the way up to 2, before we go back up.

19. Neil Allen

Neil Allen Well-Known Member

20. anotherdevilsadvocate

Heat map during the initial shock downwards today
    [​IMG]
    So far this month, QQQ is having good relative strength, which is a good omen for the market eventually turning back up.
    I'm seeing PANW and MU, and of course NVDA and LLY continue.
    (What sector is CRWD in? It should be just as big as PANW...).