Daily Discussion - Main Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by T0rm3nted, Feb 8, 2021.

1. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Semiconductors bouncing big today but I want to see if SMH can continue this for the week and break 235.

stock1234 likes this.
  2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

SOX looking like it has set a bottom

upload_2021-5-19_11-33-33.png

stock1234 likes this.
  3. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

I have a few semiconductors stocks so hopefully they will continue to bounce :D

4. stock1234

ATH for TGT :eek: Looks like they are having success with e commerce. Have to say sometimes I prefer to shop with TGT rather than AMZN, there is a Target store nearby my home and it is pretty convenient for me to return whatever item if necessary.

StockJock-e likes this.
  5. anotherdevilsadvocate

Walmart has always gotten praise for their move to online shopping, but I find Target's experience better.

I've given up trying to shop Walmart online. I would try to buy items but only when I got to checkout would I learn they were not available or did not qualify for free shipping. I think the problem was so many items were provided by 3rd party sellers, but who knows I give up. At least Amazon makes it pretty evident that you are buying from a 3rd party.

No bad experience like that with Target's online. And I don't mind doing curbside pickup in lieu of delivery.

Maybe Walmart should purchase yet another e-commerce company.

stock1234 likes this.
  6. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

7. anotherdevilsadvocate

It's interesting to see how Chinese businesses operate.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57181225
    TikTok CEO, co-founder to step down by end of year and transition to a new role.
    In a letter to employees, Zhang Yiming said he will be succeeded by fellow co-founder Rubo Liang.
    "The truth is, I lack some of the skills that make an ideal manager. I'm more interested in analysing organizational and market principles, and leveraging these theories to further reduce management work, rather than actually managing people," Mr Zhang wrote in a message on the company's website.
    "Similarly, I'm not very social, preferring solitary activities like being online, reading, listening to music, and contemplating what may be possible," he added.
    Mr Liang's most recent role at ByteDance was head of its human resources department.

Imagine an American CEO saying these things. Imagine the next CEO, of a tech company no less, coming from Human Resources.

8. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

The role of CEO in some cases is more of a cosmetic one. You need the face and personality that expresses and represents what your company is about.

9. Stockman2015

Stockman2015 Member

What do you guys think about BTCS? Trying to find a good penny stock to invest long term and it seems to be a good one. I would like to post some links here but maybe it's not available so I wouldn't bother.

10. anotherdevilsadvocate

No, that chart is not indicative of a viable company.

11. stock1234

Wow what a move for ANVS today :eek: Maybe @anotherdevilsadvocate is making some nice money today :D I was gonna put a small amount of money for fun but forgot about it :mad2:

12. stock1234

[​IMG]
    F is on a tear lately :eek:

13. anotherdevilsadvocate

Yeah, should have bought more ANVS. As is, I only buy small amounts of clinical-stage biotechs.

F looks like it will keep running. I was shocked to see they don't have a dividend any more.

stock1234 likes this.
  14. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

15. BigPear

BigPear Member

The market wouldn’t be in such bad shape if it weren’t for Friday’s plunge in bitcoin.

16. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

And apparently it was a coordinated dump with the goal of dropping the price. If that is true, then the crypto bull is intact and should continue.

17. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

18. anotherdevilsadvocate

It seems targeted ads are going to become a bad thing.
    This is behind a paywall so I'll quote more than normal.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/20/technology/tech-antitrust-paul-romer.html

Paul Romer was once Silicon Valley’s favorite economist. The theory that helped him win a Nobel prize — that ideas are the turbocharged fuel of the modern economy — resonated deeply in the global capital of wealth-generating ideas. In the 1990s, Wired magazine called him “an economist for the technological age.” The Wall Street Journal said the tech industry treated him “like a rock star.”

Not anymore.

Today, Mr. Romer, 65, remains a believer in science and technology as engines of progress. But he has also become a fierce critic of the tech industry’s largest companies, saying that they stifle the flow of new ideas. He has championed new state taxes on digital ads... an idea that Maryland adopted this year.

[Prominent economists] see markets — search, social networks, online advertising, e-commerce — not behaving according to free-market theory. Monopoly or oligopoly seems to be the order of the day.

Some economists, notably Jason Furman, a Harvard professor, chair of the Council of Economic Advisers in the Obama administration and adviser to the British government on digital markets, recommend a new regulatory authority to enforce a code of conduct on big tech companies that would include fair access to their platforms for rivals, open technical standards and data mobility.

His new growth theory recognized that the government played a vital part in scientific and technological progress, but mainly by funding basic research.

Looking back, Mr. Romer admits that he was caught up in the “small government bubble” of the time. “I substantially underestimated the role of the government in sustaining progress,” he said.

“For real progress, you need both science and government — a government that can say no to things that are bad,” Mr. Romer said.

digital ad revenue, Mr. Romer insists, is fair game for taxation. He would like to see the tax nudge the companies away from targeted ads toward a subscription model. But at the least, he said, it would give governments needed tax revenue.

19. anotherdevilsadvocate

NFLX nearing a death cross.
    AMZN actually had one last month for a couple of days, for what it's worth.

20. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

There have been some good shows on recently.