Daily Discussion - Main Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by T0rm3nted, Feb 8, 2021.

1. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

IBN at ATH today. India is one of the markets that I want to invest more money into, less political risks than China has :D

anotherdevilsadvocate likes this.
  2. andyvds

andyvds Active Member

3. removedatuserrequest

removedatuserrequest Well-Known Member

Top of the morning Stockaholics! Happy Tuesday to all of you! And welcome to the new trading day and a fresh start! Here is a quick check on those futures as we are just about an hour away from the cash market open.

GLTA on this Tuesday, October the 26th, 2021.

cnnpremarket1.png
    finvizfuts1.png

stock1234 and T0rm3nted like this.
  4. removedatuserrequest

5. removedatuserrequest

Morning Lineup - 10/26/21 - Discretionary Leads the Way
    Tue, Oct 26, 2021

After yesterday's gain, ten out of eleven sectors have posted positive returns over the last week and are above their 50-day moving averages. With the rally, a number of sectors have now also moved into overbought territory with two - Consumer Discretionary and Financials - now at what we classify as 'extreme' overbought levels (more than two standard deviations above their 50-day moving average).

[​IMG]

The Consumer Discretionary sector has really surged over the last seven trading sessions after breaking out above resistance earlier this month. It must be optimism on the part of investors over a strong holiday season for the retailers. Right?

[​IMG]

Well, not exactly. Normally, when the Consumer Discretionary sector sees a large gain, the reflex response is to pull up a chart of Amazon.com (AMZN) which accounts for about a fifth of the index. But looking at the performance of AMZN over the last several months, it has not contributed anything to the sector's performance.

[​IMG]

The main driver of the Consumer Discretionary sector during this most recent run has actually been Tesla (TSLA). Yes, TSLA is actually classified as a Consumer Discretionary sector stock, and given its recent surge to the trillion-dollar market cap level, it has become an increasingly large share of the sector. In fact, we're getting to the point where out of a sector of more than 60 stocks, AMZN and TSLA not only account for more than a third of the entire sector but their collective weight is moving increasingly close to 40%.

[​IMG]

stock1234 and emmett kelly like this.
  6. removedatuserrequest

ok is it just me, or is anyone also feeling like this rally has been super unsurprising (if i can even say that lol)? just something about these news highs that we're seeing here that just doesn't feel right. don't get me wrong, i'm all for a good run to ATHs in the indices if there's some actual underlying thesis about it to warrant said ATHs. but, maybe it's just me and this pessimistic/suspicious mindset i always tend to have or whatever lol.

sure, just get long and stay long and rack in the dough and enjoy the profits rinse and repeat...doesn't meant not to be completely oblivious to everything either. i'm admittedly on the side, and haven't stepped into any trades since my big /es short from last month. reaped in nearly 100k on the total move which was p nice haha. and don't plan to put on any trades until the new year. gonna just enjoy my EOY with my fam. as i'll be taking to few fam. vaca's now that we can all travel this holiday season. :)

but, man, ngl, but this rally feels really terrible to me. not because i'm not in to profit. nope. but, just feels a lot like "FLUFF" if i can even use that wording in this case haha. like there isn't really much fundamental base to support these news highs other than i guess that the FEDs are constantly backstopping this POS rinse and repeat.

guess i should just fess up and admit it, but i actually would welcome some tree shaking event in the market. yes, a black swan. but, nothing like a cataclysmic event that a danger to life, etc. something more along the lines of an '87 style event if you will.

just feels like things are waaaaaaaaay too quiet out there. mundane if you will. makes for very sleepy price action imo. yes we've been ripping pretty much on a daily basis. but, large up days are not as exciting as large down days lmao.

okay, off my soap box now. that is all. thx for hearing me out anyway.

maybe one of these years we'll get another circuit breaking trigger on the majors. kinda missin' that here. probably not anytime soon yet at least though as we're heading into the holiday season soon. :p

stock1234 likes this.
  7. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Pretty sharp, albeit little reversal here.
    I am still of the mind that VIX/VXV ratio is too low (meaning, we have too little "fear" relative to what we are expecting in 3 months). I'm looking for VIX to move up already lol.
    So this tiny reversal could be the top for the week, made in regular trading hours.

8. stock1234

Twitter (TWTR) earnings Q3 2021 (cnbc.com)

The company said Apple’s privacy changes to iOS 14 had less of an impact than expected.

Up 3% after earnings, I guess the earnings were somewhat better than expected since both SNAP and FB blamed AAPL on their misses

removedatuserrequest likes this.
  9. anotherdevilsadvocate

The initial news I saw about TWTR earnings was they missed EPS by 85 cents(!). But I guess now they are discounting the cost of the lawsuit settlement.
    Also, saw this paragraph in the article:
    "Twitter provided additional detail on the sale of MoPub to AppLovin for $1.05 billion, which was announced earlier this month and is expected to close in the first quarter of 2022. Twitter said it doesn’t expect to recoup the full revenue loss of $200 million and $250 million next year from the deal."
    Not excited by TWTR.

ENPH had a good report, got to see if that one keeps running tomorrow.

10. removedatuserrequest

Top of the morning Stockaholics! Happy Hump Day to all of you! And welcome to the new trading day and a fresh start! Here is a quick check on those futures as we are just about 4 hours from the cash market open.

GLTA on this Wednesday, October the 27th, 2021.

cnnfutures1.png
    finvizfuts1.png

stock1234 and T0rm3nted like this.
  11. removedatuserrequest

12. removedatuserrequest

Morning Lineup - 10/27/21 - Halfway
    Wed, Oct 27, 2021

With the second and third largest companies in the U.S. reporting earnings after the close yesterday along with dozens and dozens of others, you would have expected to see a larger move in the futures market this morning, but as things stand now, prices are little changed with a slight bias to the upside. Treasury yields are lower with the 10-year back below 1.60% again. The real action in the markets this morning is in the crypto-space, and it's to the downside as both bitcoin and ether are down over 5% with other smaller assets in the space down even more.

The economic calendar is light today with Wholesale Inventories and Durable Goods hitting the wires at 8:30 and DoE energy inventory data coming out at 10:30.

With all the earnings reports this week, especially the ones from the largest companies out there, investors were worried about the potential for volatility, but so far, the bulls have won out as the major indices are higher on the week so far (although we do have three full sessions of trading left in the week). Of the 'big five' companies reporting this week, Facebook (FB)'s report was met with a disappointing reaction, and last night after the close we heard from Alphabet (GOOGL) and Microsoft (MSFT). In pre-market trading, GOOGL is trading down less than 1% while MSFT trades higher by just over 1.5%. That leaves Amazon.com (AMZN) and Apple (AAPL) for after the close on Thursday, but so far two of the three that have reported have experienced negative reactions to earnings.

As far as the major US averages are concerned, they're all higher on the week but to varying degrees. The Russell 2000 has been the weakest of the three indices shown below as it was also the only one to trade lower yesterday. The Nasdaq 100 (QQQ) has been the top performer on the week with a gain of over 1%, but it still has yet to take out its record high from early September. Last but not least, the S&P 500 finished off its intraday highs yesterday, but still managed to close at its second record high of the week.

[​IMG]

stock1234 likes this.
  13. anotherdevilsadvocate

Fintech all around is losing its luster. The credit card companies are down. HOOD is down. SQ is not the same performer.

14. anotherdevilsadvocate

Five Guys in France uses a RFID tag to stop people from getting free refills. This is because the government made it illegal to sell unlimited sugary drinks, attempting to fight obesity epidemic.
    [​IMG]
    The chip stops you from refilling. And without the chip the machine will not dispense soda.

So which company makes this RFID tag?

15. stock1234

Yeah, MA, V, COF, DFS, SQ and PYPL, etc. all getting hammered :eek:

16. stock1234

PTLO and BROS are the 2 recent restaurants IPOs, both have done pretty well :D

17. removedatuserrequest

Top of the morning Stockaholics! Happy Thursday to all of you! And welcome to the new trading day and a fresh start! Here is a quick check on those futures as we are just about an hour away from the cash market open.

GLTA on this Thursday, October the 28th, 2021.

1.png
    2.png

stock1234 likes this.
  18. removedatuserrequest

stock1234 likes this.
  19. removedatuserrequest

Morning Lineup - 10/28/21 - Deal or No Deal?
    Thu, Oct 28, 2021

While just about every company reporting earnings has lamented about the semiconductor shortage impacting their business, in Ford's (F) earnings report last night, the company took a more constructive tone noting that "revenue, net income, adjusted earnings before interest and taxes, cash flow from operations, and adjusted free cash flow were all sharply higher from the second to the third quarter of 2021, driven by significant increases in semiconductor availability and wholesale vehicle shipments from Q2." The company didn't say that the shortage is behind us, but it was nice to hear some positive news for a change.

Equity futures are higher this morning with the Nasdaq leading the way, but the gains aren't even enough to bring us back to levels the major averages were trading at in the final hour of trading yesterday. The S&P 500 is marginally higher on the week, but which side of unchanged it finishes the week will likely hinge on earnings reports from Apple (AAPL) and Amazon.com (AMZN) after the close today.

As if all the earnings news wasn't enough, there's also a ton of economic data to contend with both today (Jobless Claims, GDP, Pending Home Sales, and KC Fed) and tomorrow (Employment Cost Index, Personal Income and Spending, Chicago PMI, and Michigan Sentiment). The ECB just announced no major changes to policy in its latest statement noting that its pandemic program will remain in place until at least March, but there will likely be more details to come in the press conference at 8:30 AM. Back here at Home, President Biden is expected to announce details for a framework of a $1.75 trillion social-spending and climate package. Whether Congress can pass it is a whole other story.

There were some really disparate moves in the US Treasury market yesterday as investors sold the short end of the curve on fears of more aggressive policy tightening down the line. At the same time, they were buying the long end betting that more aggressive tightening will cause a slowdown in growth. You can really see the dynamic playing out in the snapshot from our Trend Analyzer below. The ETFs listed below are sorted by where they closed Wednesday within their respective trading ranges, but they are also perfectly sorted by the maturities of the treasuries they track from the short-end of the curve (most oversold) to the long-end (closest to or above their 50-day moving averages).

[​IMG]

The charts below show the performance of the 1-3 Year US Treasury ETF (SHY) and the 20+ Year Treasury ETF (TLT). While the magnitudes of the moves are much smaller for SHY, its price chart looks like a steep cliff, while TLT has seen a nice bounce over the last few days.

[​IMG]

stock1234 likes this.
  20. anotherdevilsadvocate

https://markets.businessinsider.com...-8000-into-5-billion-buying-shiba-inu-2021-10

In what's being dubbed the greatest individual trade of all time, a crypto investor turned about $8,000 into about $5.7 billion by buying trillions of shiba inu coin shortly after it debuted.

The series of trades began in August of 2020, when the investor bought about 70 trillion shiba inu coins, according to its associated crypto wallet. Shiba inu coins began trading on August 1, 2020, and the investor took note that day and made their first shiba inu purchase, buying some 70 billion coins.

Around the time of the investor's $8,000 purchase, shiba inu coins were trading around .000000000189. Today, the cryptocurrency is trading around .00007941, representing a swift 14-month gain of more than 7 million percent.

The crypto wallet now owns more than 13% of the total supply of shiba inu coin, which has a total circulating supply of 549 trillion coins, according to CoinMarketCap.

Like they say, it takes a special kind of person to hold this long. A normal person would have taken a couple hundred grand. Of course, this person could be investing for the long term.

stock1234 likes this.