Daily Discussion - Main Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by T0rm3nted, Feb 8, 2021.

1. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

In a bit of news, Musk says the deal with Hertz isn't signed yet.

So, about renting an electric car...I'm not sure I would do that. Those rental car companies are ALWAYS trying to finagle more money from you, and one of the things they do is charge you top dollar for filling up the fuel when you return the car.
    Well with gasoline fuel, I can stop by a station just before returning the car. However with electric if the grid is insufficient, this may be impossible so I would have to return the electric car with a half-empty battery. And lord knows how much it would cost to re-charge that at the rental place.

stock1234 and emmett kelly like this.
  2. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Looks like they had a massive beat earnings and this stock is heavily shorted

removedatuserrequest likes this.
  3. stock1234

4. stock1234

5. anotherdevilsadvocate

I'm no expert, but at the surface level that I am at, I'm surprised to hear they were losing money.
    Oh well, I'm not shedding any tears for them. Raising the prices of shelter for people.

ATVI is going down after today's ER. I have always thought that if you want to invest in video game stocks then you should go with MSFT. These game studios only provide content, whereas Microsoft owns the distribution. And Microsoft has been buying up a ton of small studios to make their own video game content. Distribution is King, once again.

6. stock1234

Definitely not shedding tears for them lol. I am happy to see they failed on home flipping. Maybe the housing market is finally slowing down although I don't exactly see a slowdown in my area lol

7. stock1234

Yeah I own MSFT and SONY, not a bad way to invest in video gaming if you own them

8. stock1234

BBBY going crazy after hours :eek2:

9. anotherdevilsadvocate

Yeah that is an extreme reaction, they say they are doing a $1 billion buyback by end of this year.

I'm just now listening to a Fast Money episode from a week ago (October 27), and they have this guy saying Zillow is a $350 stock, even up to $600 since he's talking about a $100 billion market cap.
    I don't usually take this long to catch up on podcast episodes; but now I'm thinking I should only listen to these episodes if they are at least 1 week old, especially during earnings season.

edit: Now they are talking about selling CAR at $180. In their defense here, there were not too many people who thought it would go up to $500 in one week. But here we are.

#1249 anotherdevilsadvocate, Nov 2, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    stock1234 likes this.
  10. removedatuserrequest

removedatuserrequest Well-Known Member

Top of the morning Stockaholics! Happy Wednesday to all of you! And welcome to the new trading day and a fresh start! Here is a quick check on those futures as we are about 3 hours from the cash market open.

GLTA on this Wednesday, November the 3rd, 2021.

2.png
    3.png

stock1234 likes this.
  11. removedatuserrequest

Just a super quick reminder for all that we have the FOMC Meeting Announcement due out @ 2PM eastern time today, with JP's presser roughly 30min. after. It is widely expected that the FED will begin its taper process at today's meeting.

12. removedatuserrequest

stock1234 likes this.
  13. removedatuserrequest

Morning Lineup - 11/3/21 - It's Taper Time!
    Wed, Nov 3, 2021

It's Taper Time. At least that's what most investors are expecting to hear this afternoon when the FOMC releases its policy statement and chair Powell holds his press conference. The only questions now seem to be when it will start and how long it will take to completely wind down. A delay in the start to December would be considered dovish at the margin while any plan to wind asset purchases down in less than six months would be taken as a hawkish stance. In addition to asset purchases, investors will be looking for signs of when Powell and the FOMC is thinking the first rate hike will take place (the current assumption is for the end of 2022).

Outside of the FOMC, the October ADP Private Payrolls report came in better than expected, and ISM Services will be released at 10 AM. Besides the economic and earnings flow. throughout the day, market watchers will be trying to assess what impacts last night's election results will have on policy coming out of Washington.

With a number of major averages hitting record highs yesterday, one area of financial markets that has been taking a breather over the last week is commodities. Of the commodity-related ETFs in our Trend Analyzer, every single one of them with the exception of the DB Agriculture Fund (DBA) has traded down over the prior week ending Tuesday. The weakest of these commodity-related ETFs is the US Natural Gas Fund (UNG) which has declined more than 7% while another six are down more than 1%. Despite the recent weakness, though, it's important to keep in mind just how well many of these ETFs have performed in 2021. UNG is still up more than 100% YTD while other energy-related ETFs are up more than 70%.

The laggards this year have been precious metals. Silver (SLV) is down by double-digit percentages YTD, the Precious Metals ETF is down over 8% and gold-related ETFs are all down between 6% and 8%.

[​IMG]

stock1234 and emmett kelly like this.
  14. anotherdevilsadvocate

So I guess we just going in a straight line to the top of the channel
    [​IMG]

15. stock1234

16. stock1234

If you don’t want to wait a week to listen to them, maybe can just do exactly opposite of what they say to make some money lol :D I don’t exactly follow their trades but not a bad way to learn some stocks that I didn’t know much about or don’t trade all that often.

17. anotherdevilsadvocate

Yeah those calls totally blew up in their faces. I'm not jumping on them for getting a trade wrong...but man is it funny when the professionals(?) get a call so wrong.

I do the same thing, I just don't have to put on a tailored suit.

I guess second-guessing the so-called experts is the national pastime, or at least the internet pastime. And I understand why the guy was saying to sell CAR at $180. But now in hindsight, no one would have been happy selling at $180, not when it went to $500 a week later. This looks unsustainable, but it will be a long time before anyone would say, "I'm glad I sold at $180.".

18. removedatuserrequest

Top of the morning Stockaholics! Happy Thursday to all of you! And welcome to the new trading day and a fresh start! Here is a quick check on those futures as we are about 4 hours from the cash market open.

GLTA on this Thursday, November the 4th, 2021.

1.png
    2.png

stock1234 and T0rm3nted like this.
  19. removedatuserrequest

The pre-market thread is now up on Reddit for anyone looking for a quick read before today's cash market open. GL to y'all's trading today and rest of this week! :thumbsup:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StockMarket/comments/qmj7d1/114_thursdays_premarket_stock_movers_news/

Morning Lineup - 11/4/21 - Jobless Claims Drop For 5th Straight Week
    Thu, Nov 4, 2021

Commodities are generally trading higher this morning, while treasury yields are lower. Equity futures are little changed but indicated higher as investors digest another busy batch of earnings reports since the close last night. Following the announcement of the taper yesterday afternoon, equities have taken the news, which was entirely expected, very well.

Economic data just released showed a larger than expected drop in initial and continuing jobless claims. Non-Farm Productivity was weaker than expected while Unit Labor Costs rose more than expected.

Just like the US, stocks in Europe have consistently been hitting 52-week highs after breaking out above their Summer highs last week. Like the S&P 500, the STOXX 600 has been higher for five days in a row and is on pace for its sixth straight day of gains today. While the STOXX 600 has been performing in line with the S&P 500 on a nominal basis, after adjusting for the changes in the dollar, US stocks have been steadily outperforming in recent weeks. The chart below shows the relative strength of the S&P 500 vs the STOXX 600 (in dollar terms) over the last year. While stocks in Europe were outperforming the S&P 500 for the first half of 2021 (falling line in the chart below), ever since June, it has been US stocks that have been leading.

[​IMG]

#1259 removedatuserrequest, Nov 4, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    stock1234 likes this.
  20. anotherdevilsadvocate

Great day for NVDA, and it looks like it will keep going.

ZI is the new Zoom.