Daily Discussion - Main Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by T0rm3nted, Feb 8, 2021.

1. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

QQQ is carrying this market. Banks are very red today.

So the Dow Jones is down. And the equal-weighted S&P (etf RSP) is also down, while the cap-weighted S&P (etf SPY/VOO) is up.

Nevertheless, SPX looking for a 6-day winning streak today.

2. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

AMD also doing very well lately :eek: NVDA has to be a pretty big favorite to become the next one trillion dollar company

removedatuserrequest likes this.
  3. stock1234

PENN down big today :eek: dragging down names like CZR, BYD and DKNG, etc

4. stock1234

SQ down after earnings, fintech stocks like SQ and PYPL have been out of favor lately along with the credit card stocks.

5. anotherdevilsadvocate

I don't like DKNG either, looks toppy when you look at the whole chart. They report tomorrow morning.
    Seems gambling stocks joined marijuana stocks in shitting the bed this year.

I'm not liking fintech stocks right now. The credit card companies are starting to get blowback (eg from Amazon) about the fees that they charge to retailers. It sucks because I like getting 3% cash back, although if we're being honest it probably means smart retailers are raising prices an extra 7% beforehand.
    Curious how AFRM will do on their ER next week.
    Maybe the only fintech stock that interests me right now is SOFI, so I'm watching them this month. Also reporting next week.

stock1234 likes this.
  6. stock1234

Yeah SOFI has outperformed PYPL and SQ lately for sure, I might buy some shares at some point but not before their earnings report

7. removedatuserrequest

removedatuserrequest Well-Known Member

Top of the morning Stockaholics! Happy Jobs Friday to all of you! And welcome to the final trading day of this week and a fresh start! Here is a quick check on those futures as we are just over 3 hours from the cash market open.

GLTA on this Friday, November the 5th, 2021.

2.png
    3.png

stock1234 and T0rm3nted like this.
  8. removedatuserrequest

Morning Lineup - 11/5/21 - Semi-Important Jobs Days
    Fri, Nov 5, 2021

First things first. Don't forget to set your clocks back Saturday night before going to bed. Now, on to the markets. Futures are higher again this morning as the S&P 500 looks to close out a perfect week with record closing highs every single day. Last night was a busy one for earnings, so the positive tone in futures suggests that despite some misses, investors were pleased with what they heard. Now the focus shifts to the October jobs report where economists are expecting just over half a million new jobs. The last two reports have had some pretty significant misses relative to expectations, so we'll see if the trend breaks this month.

The performance of the semiconductor sector lately has been stunning. After successfully testing its 200-DMA in mid-October, the semiconductor sector ETF (SMH) has surged to record highs. More recently, the Philadelphia Semiconductor Index (SOX) has rallied more than 1% every day this week.

[​IMG]

With just 36 prior streaks of four or more days in the last 25 years, these kinds of streaks don’t happen very often but they aren't unprecedented. Streaks of five or more days are much more uncommon though. There have only been 12 prior streaks where the SOX was up 1%+ for five straight days. Currently, the SOX is indicated to open up about 0.60%, so an extension of the current streak to five can't be ruled out at this point, although the jobs report will have a say in that. Moving on, there have only been four prior streaks where the SOX was up 1%+ for more than five straight days, and all of those streaks ended at six trading days.

[​IMG]

stock1234 and emmett kelly like this.
  9. removedatuserrequest

stock1234 likes this.
  10. removedatuserrequest

hey, does @Venom08 still check into this site? I remember he called for dow 38k a few years back or something. whelp, don't look now but we're not very far off from those levels here lol. If you're still out there lurking @Venom08 i just wanted you to know that was a crazy ass good call on your part man. I know many (including myself actually) thought you were a little over your skies to make such a bold and what seemed like outrageous call. but, looks like it's inevitable that we'll print it at some point, perhaps during the traditional santa claus rally coming up here during this holiday stretch. missed your inputs in here bigly time mang!

11. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

10 Biggest Price Target Changes For Friday
    10:05 am ET November 5, 2021 (Benzinga) Print
    • Wedbush raised Uber Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: UBER) price target from $51 to $57. Uber shares rose 7.5% to trade at $48.67 on Friday.
    • Oppenheimer raised the price target for Papa John's International, Inc. (NASDAQ: PZZA) from $140 to $155. Papa John's shares fell 4.8% to trade at $133.33.
    • Jefferies raised Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) price target from $270 to $277. Cigna shares rose 3.3% to trade at $220.10.
    • Mizuho boosted the price target on Synaptics Incorporated (NASDAQ: SYNA) from $195 to $250. Synaptics shares rose 15.8% to trade at $255.67.
    • JMP Securities cut the price target on Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZBH) from $195 to $175. Zimmer Biomet shares rose 4.7% to trade at $144.22.
    • Goldman Sachs lowered ViacomCBS Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAC) price target from $75 to $65. ViacomCBS shares rose 0.3% to trade at $35.99.
    • RBC Capital cut Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) price target from $312 to $295. Square shares rose 0.5% to trade at $248.59.
    • Credit Suisse raised the price target on CVS Health Corporation (NYSE: CVS) from $100 to $107. CVS Health shares rose 0.9% to trade at $95.32.
    • SVB Leerink boosted the price target for Insulet Corporation (NASDAQ: PODD) from $300 to $350. Insulet shares gained 5.3% to trade at $317.60 on Friday.
    • Jefferies reduced Moderna, Inc. (NASDAQ: MRNA) price target from $375 to $325. Moderna shares dipped 20.8% to trade at $225.00.

Check out other big price target changes here

© 2021 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.

12. Heretopumpmybags

Heretopumpmybags New Member

So reckon this is linked to the short basket theory with GME, AMC, BBBY etc?

13. anotherdevilsadvocate

I took a look at those names again, and CAR's move is looking similar to what AMC did in June.

14. anotherdevilsadvocate

QQQ at the top of this channel.
    [​IMG]

And middle of the month coming up, look at what that time of the month meant for SPY from May to September.
    [​IMG]

Of course, it always recovers.

emmett kelly likes this.
  15. stock1234

What a move by PFE today :eek: Was a little disappointed with its performance despite it is more of a dividend play for me but it is a nice day today :D

16. stock1234

Good call on DKNG @anotherdevilsadvocate :D

17. removedatuserrequest

#1277 removedatuserrequest, Nov 6, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  18. anotherdevilsadvocate

Those options-implied-moves are huge, I've never seen so many in one week ~30%.

19. andyvds

andyvds Active Member

I wonder what's going to happen with #TSLA tomorrow. :eek:

20. removedatuserrequest

Top of the morning Stockaholics! Happy Monday to all of you! And welcome to the first trading day of the week and a fresh start! Here is a quick check on those futures as we are just over 5 hours from the cash market open.

GLTA on this Monday, November the 8th, 2021.

1.png
    2.png

stock1234, emmett kelly and T0rm3nted like this.