DIS - The Walt Disney Company

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Stockaholic, Mar 31, 2016.

1. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Any bets on DIS for today?

2. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Held the 20 sma all quarter, I bet it goes up.

3. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Here's One Big Problem at Disney Everyone Really Needs to Be Worried About
    https://www.thestreet.com/story/139...out-more-than-just-the-quarterly-numbers.html

Disney (DIS) reports its December quarter earnings at the close of trading on Tuesday, and here's the quick and dirty:

Wall Street analysts are expecting earnings for Disney's fiscal first quarter to total $1.50 a share. Net income is expected to come in at $2.37 billion on revenue of $15.3 billion, according to the average forecast of 33 analysts as surveyed by FactSet.

As for what's really on everyone's mind, that would be CEO Bob Iger's non-retirement plans, ESPN's subscriber totals and theme park attendance (especially in Florida where Comcast (CMCSA) Universal has become more competitive).

It appears that Iger may not actually retire next year as the company had been planning, The Wall Street Journal reported on Monday, citing people close to the company. The big puzzle has always been finding Iger's replacement and identifying that person remains as tricky as it was in 2014 when Disney's board extended his contract to June 2018.

Iger, who turns 66 on Friday, was promoted to CEO in 2005, and hasn't had a chief operating officer, traditionally the position of an heir apparent, since Tom Staggs left the company last spring.

Disney shares have gained 5.1% this year compared to the benchmark S&P 500's advance of 2.4%. In Tuesday trading, Disney shares were down slightly to $109.31.

4. Montego335

Montego335 New Member

Just bought a put spread for the 17feb 105(long) 104(short) that has a breakeven of 106. 7:1 risk reward ratio. Not a bad deal.

StockJock-e likes this.
  5. anotherdevilsadvocate

Where's the one big problem? They mention 3 problems. :D

6. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Disney earnings: $1.55 per share, vs expected EPS of $1.49

Disney Q1 EPS beats, revenues misses 2 Hours Ago | 01:49

Disney reported quarterly earnings that beat analysts' expectations on Tuesday, but revenue fell short of Wall Street estimates.

The company posted fiscal first-quarter earnings per share of $1.55 on $14.78 billion in revenue. The results represent a 3 percent year-over-year decline in revenue and a 10 percent drop in profit per share.

Analysts expected Disney to post earnings of $1.49 per share on $15.26 billion in revenue, according to Thomson Reuters consensus estimates.

The stock initially dropped 2 percent in after-hours trading, but was last seen about 1.4 percent lower.

7. anotherdevilsadvocate

Right now down -0.7%. Let's see how tomorrow closes, in relation to the open.

8. Clair

Clair Active Member

I am not seeing any problems at all, honestly. Iger was a great CEO, bringing in Marvel and Star Wars franchises and their characters to their theme parks. I hope he stays and makes Disney great again.

9. anotherdevilsadvocate

They will be releasing fewer movies this year. And consider they could not hit revenue targets last quarter...

And everyone seems to have chiseled in multi-billion dollars for their movies for the rest of time. Rogue One has only just made that. I know, "it's just a spinoff not the main movie", but first the spinoffs have problems...

10. Clair

Clair Active Member

I think their movies for 2017 are all great and will make a buck. The new Star Wars movie, The Pirates of the Caribbean, The Guardians of the Galaxy 2 to name a few. They'll be fine.

11. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

This looks like a lot of fun

Clair likes this.
  12. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

I am quite conflicted about the Pirates of the Caribbean tbh. I think this TM needs to go to rest.

13. anotherdevilsadvocate

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38965377
    So Disney draws some revenue from YouTube.

14. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

Antisemitism? More like tasteless satire.

15. Clair

Clair Active Member

I didn't know Pewds had a contract with Disney.
    Yeah, that joke went somewhere horribly wrong.

Not sure why he thought it was a good idea to upload something like this being the most subscribed person on the internet. Clearly, something like this would have had consequences.

His yesterday's response to Disney already got almost 9 million views and one million likes.

16. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

Well, he's an entertainer with an audience composed primarily of teenagers. I do agree with his point in the response though.

17. Clair

Clair Active Member

18. blypelako

blypelako Active Member

This entire story is rotten to the core. WSJ lost any sort of credibility in my eyes.

19. heyimsnuffles

heyimsnuffles Active Member

I am very bearish DIS under 109. Will be shorting.

20. anotherdevilsadvocate

Via CNBC twitter account, ESPN will be laying off workers and likely includes anchors: "It's the first such cuts since a big move in later 2015. The move is less about cost control, CNBC says, and more about reshaping ESPN for a digital future."

Oh, so they'll be keeping the blonde bimbos on Sportscenter.
    Possibly Goodbye John Clayton's Bald Spot; that thing does not look good on a curved OLED screen.