Doom loop?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by TomB16, Sep 9, 2023.

1. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Would anyone care to share their point of view on the "doom loop" phenomenon?

I have many friends in LA and, for years now, they have been really angry about homeless encampments. Not only can they not kick someone off their lawn for setting up a tent home, they cannot disconnect them if they plug in an extension cord for power. It's brutal.

Canada is going the same way, although it doesn't seem to be so far along.

Is the "doom loop" over-hyped, like everything else? Is it real? Is this the final phase of the decline of the American empire? Care to share a perspective?

2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Rents and housing are a major issue, Im not sure how we solve this.

TomB16 likes this.
  3. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

From what I can tell, there is an extremely real crime problem, as well as a small-scale exodus.

The new bill to make it illegal for an employee to stop a shop lifter has been extremely effective. For shop lifters, that is.

Meanwhile, there is a second narrative that everything is fine. Certainly, there is plenty of video from the OpenSauce convention that took place a couple of weeks ago and they all toured the city and had a nice time. Video looks pretty normal to me, but I haven't been to SF for several years.

Raising taxes and legalizing shop lifting does seem to have put SF on a trajectory to being a toilet but it is not there, yet.

Meanwhile, there is also talk of a "Doom loop" in LA but parts of LA have been a ghetto forever.

Video from Hawaii shows a far worse situation. Beaches are full of homeless encampments. Surely, that can't be good for the golden goose. Friends who love HI went recently and said they will not return.

I'm looking at this from far away. If someone has a different perspective, I look forward to reading it.