Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Estimated Tax & Penalties

Discussion in 'Investing' started by The Brontide, Aug 5, 2020.

1. The Brontide

The Brontide Active Member

Ah the beloved IRS.

So, you may be having a great year, maybe not.

But if you are doing well with post tax monies invested, beware.

To avoid paying in even more under the heading of penalties, pre-pay your dagum taxes.

Why give the IRS extra out of your winnin's.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/estimated-taxes

Post yay! If you don't have to worry about it. IE: you didn't clean up.

Post Boo! If you know you gonna owe big time!

2. The Brontide

Oh, and yes, for me,...

Booo!

3. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I always owe and NEVER make quarterly payments. I usually make the 4th quarter payment January 15th and the balance with my return on April 15. Other than that.......I SKIP the other 3 estimates. The penalty is not very significant. Usually between about $350 and $900. I prefer to have the use of my money over the year and USUALLY make more on that money by having it invested compared to the penalty owed.

I will use REAL numbers to illustrate. For 2019.....I paid a 4th quarter estimate, January 15 of 2020, of $16,000. On April (delayed to July) 15, I paid the balance for 2019, $31,000. I paid NO other estimates........1st qtr, 2nd qtr, 3rd qtr. This was a high tax year for me so the penalty was a bit higher.....about $1000. I am sure I made more than that by keeping that $16,000 invested for 3/4 of the year and that last $31,000 invested all year. In other words I was willing to take the gamble that i could make more than the amount that the penalty represents, on my money, AND I prefer to hold onto my own funds till the last minute.

Now with my income annuities...........next April........my taxes will be cut by about 2/3 to 3/4.

T0rm3nted and The Brontide like this.
  4. The Brontide

@WXYZ

I like what you said. It does provide a decent option, of course assuming you make enough profits off that 600-900 dollars to pony up the bill.

Myself, and I imagine many others out there, do not have that option. Legal reasons. I have to maintain an above-board relationship with my finances.

5. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

In a MORE typical year the penalty that I pay is about $350. I dont know what my income is going to be till the end of each year.

6. The Brontide

I agree. No trader, especially with multiple revenue streams, can accurately predict yearly income.

If you are a business owner, for example, you know how pissy the feds get when you fail to report your quarterlies.

In my case, if I overpay my estimated quarterlies, then I just roll it over to the following year tax expectations.

I am a tightwad with my money, the fed gets enough of it already, so an extra few hundred saved from penalties, is a couple three more for investments, or taking the wife to Teppanyaki's for sushi and filet a few times. (On hold until life is safer out there)