Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Everyone needs grumpy old guy advice, at some point in their lives

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by TomB16, Apr 27, 2020.

1. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I thought I'd mention, I understand nobody is going to change their portfolio management approach based on my advice. As most of you are aware, I encourage investing and discourage trading.

The reason I give such advice is not for the event of the moment. It's because 10 years from nowt, a significant ratio of people who have received this sort of advice will consider their returns for the last decade and realize they have squandered 33% of their earning years (average 30 year career) with low/no returns when they could have been making market returns all these years.

When someone asks me if a face tattoo is a good idea I tell them "no", understanding full well I'm looking at someone who is about to get a face tattoo and I am about to get considerable free amusement.

2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Remember the old days when a bond portfolio was a thing? ;)

TomB16 likes this.
  3. Rich456987

Rich456987 New Member

You wanna go for a ride?

[​IMG]

4. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Being old, I was there and didn't get pulled into that fad.

I recall when mutual funds were the thing to have, in the late 80s. I didn't go for that, either.

Early 2000's, it was ETFs. Gotta have 'em!

These days, it's index investing. It's going up and always will!

I don't own any index instruments, although I have recently held a reverse S&P ETF.

One thing that hasn't changed for centuries is that a good business makes money. When is the last time a discussion broke out about how much a company can generate in earnings? For some reason, Tesla bears used to talk about that all the time and then they would buy growth stocks with no ability to generate anywhere close to enough income to make their valuations sane. Even P/E 15 for a stable company is ridiculous.

Investing is about partnering with an organization with a capability of generating money by doing business. Trading is about being pretty sure a number is going to up and placing a bet on that gut feeling or otherwise holistic technique.

5. Rich456987

Rich456987 New Member

They don't have term for it. Boricua is the Taino indian name for puerto rican,
    Dominicans also have a taino indian name. You call a dominican, 'QUISQUEYA'

[​IMG]

TaĆ­no Indians, a subgroup of the Arawakan Indians (a group of American Indians
    in northeastern South America), inhabited the Greater Antilles (comprising Cuba,
    Jamaica, Hispaniola [Haiti and the Dominican Republic], and Puerto Rico) in the
    Caribbean Sea at the time when Christopher Columbus' arrived to the New World.