Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

  1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

F - Ford Motor Company

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by bigbear0083, Mar 31, 2016.

  1. TomB16

    TomB16 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2018
    Messages:
    606
    Likes Received:
    231
    I don't trade but seriously considered shorting Ford in mid 2017. I didn't have the stomach for it.

    Now they look like they can land on their feet and remain a medium size player. At least, for a while.

    The F-150 looks like it will continue to sell well for a couple of years. I have little faith in Tesla's truck but that is based on nothing but judgmentalism and ignorance. Meanwhile, the eF-150 could be a winner in 2021 when it is scheduled for release. I doubt the electric truck will have much impact, though. They won't be able to produce many.

    Meanwhile, Achates Power has come a long way with their opposed piston diesel. They are said to be working with a major US automaker. I think it's 80% chance of GM, 20% chance of Ford. That engine will probably buy a manufacturer quite a bit of time to electrify their fleet.
     
  2. OldFart

    OldFart Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2016
    Messages:
    1,666
    Likes Received:
    1,414
    I wouldn't buy a new diesel.
    Every time you fill up, you also have to buy and add DPF. They are also programmed not to run if you don't add the DPF.
    Remove the DPF filter, and can result in fines ranging from $1,000 to $100,000 for an individual.
    Ridiculous.
     
  3. TomB16

    TomB16 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2018
    Messages:
    606
    Likes Received:
    231
    Not all diesel engines require diesel exhaust fluid (DEF - urea). Only high output engines require this fluid. That's pretty much all consumer pickup trucks.

    DPF - diesel particulate filter, is a different thing.

    Opposed piston engines have many advantages. No valve train. Half speed piston travel for the same power level. 40% more power from the same fuel. Reduced emissions, particularly NOx... and on and on.

    Opposed piston engines are more exciting than Mazda's compression ignition gas engine. That is saying a lot.

    Opposed piston diesel will cut emissions more quickly than Ford will be able to ramp their EV program.

    The opposed piston diesel is likely to gain traction in the commercial space before the consumer space. The average joe isn't a big fan of change.



    A Ford Transit EV has the potential to be an industry beater. Service and delivery vans are begging to be electrified.



    Has anyone else noticed Mazda is literally only coming out with a hybrid electric vehicle just now and yet they have lead the industry on emissions for as long as I can remember? Hyundai appeared to lead for a while but it was discovered they were cheating so it was always Mazda. Mazda pioneered a ton of technology including the Miller cycle engine, Atkinson cycle, compression ignition gasoline, etc.
     
    #343 TomB16, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  4. OldFart

    OldFart Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2016
    Messages:
    1,666
    Likes Received:
    1,414
    Exactly....no thanks
     
  5. TomB16

    TomB16 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2018
    Messages:
    606
    Likes Received:
    231
    I hope you understand I'm not trying to sell you a truck on commission? :D

    Opposed piston engines are unlikely to require urea, although that's not a deal killer for the target market which is not you (as far as I know).
     
  6. OldFart

    OldFart Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2016
    Messages:
    1,666
    Likes Received:
    1,414
    :D
    I'll buy a Nissan or Toyota. 1/2 price of what US truck's cost.
    I can get Nissan for around $23k, and Toyota for around $25k.
    And the run on gasoline...no additives...lol
     
  7. TomB16

    TomB16 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2018
    Messages:
    606
    Likes Received:
    231
    For what it's worth, the Achates Power demo vehicle is a Ford F-150. I wonder if that tells us anything.

    There is also a gasoline variant that also implements compression ignition. 2 stroke. No valve train.

    It sounds like they won't be selling an opposed piston engine to OldFart, any time soon.


    Here is the big picture.

    As climate problems increase and governments panic, there will be a huge push toward electrification. That isn't going to happen quickly enough. With the opposed piston engine, CO2 and NOx emissions are radically reduced. In the case of NOx, a small fraction of any other engine. In the case of CO2, about 40%. All while improving fuel economy.

    Such a great gas/diesel engine could be a great bridge technology to electrification. Mazda's SkyActiveX is also a great platform. We are going to need something in the decade it's going to take to ramp up electrification.
     
  8. TomB16

    TomB16 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2018
    Messages:
    606
    Likes Received:
    231
  9. OldFart

    OldFart Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2016
    Messages:
    1,666
    Likes Received:
    1,414
    TomB16 likes this.
  10. TomB16

    TomB16 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2018
    Messages:
    606
    Likes Received:
    231
    You aren't supposed to know that climate change is a liberal conspiracy. Let's quickly change the subject. :oops:
     

Share This Page