FB - Facebook - Meta

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by StockJock-e, Apr 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

The number of people using Facebook daily in North America dropped for the first time
    • Facebook reported 184 million daily average users in Q4 2017, down from 185 million in Q3.
    • It is the first such drop since Facebook began reporting these numbers in its earnings report.
    • It suggests that Facebook's most lucrative market has become saturated in terms of usage, which means it will have to add more ads, or charge more for ads, to keep growing.

OldFart likes this.
  2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

I stopped using Facebook a long time ago.

I still go on to wish happy birthday to a few people, but thats about it.

OldFart and fireopal like this.
  3. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm in one Facebook group with some gamer friends who I meet up with once a year to hang out, we still play games online a couple times a week though. That's all I do on Facebook.

4. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Has nobody set up a discord server yet?

5. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

We have and that's how we communicate in game, but most prefer the FB group for posting about new upcoming games, life stuff, sports stuff, etc.

OldFart likes this.
  6. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Down 6% today, could be support here at the 200MA... 10% upside after the bad news passes.

upload_2018-3-19_9-51-20.png

Facebook’s Role in Data Misuse Sets Off Storms on Two Continents
    Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/18/us/cambridge-analytica-facebook-privacy-data.html

7. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Im reading over all news, so what was the illegal part of all this?

8. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Good question. I think it's unclear at the moment. WaPo ran an article yesterday that suggested FB could be in violation of a "landmark" 2011 FTC consent decree regarding FB's handling of user's privacy.

Whether the current FTC would investigate this is anybody's guess.

OldFart likes this.
  9. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

FB appears to have been under distribution from the smart money to the dumb money since the end of July 2017. The volatility has been increasing throughout that time as the smart money shovels shares from their vaults and the public takes ownership of more and more of the stock. The public is news sensitive and fewer and fewer big players remain interested in supporting the price. Meanwhile the press digs up and sells stories to the public. The big players like the stories because it diverts the public's attention away from the real rules of the game.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  10. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

So essentially, the 1% made the money they wanted, slowly distributed the stock to the general public, pushed some bullshit articles out, in plans to re-purchase at a more favorable price. Rinse and repeat.

11. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

This Cambridge Analytica story is getting better and better, yet as far as I understand, once you click on something on facebook, you are granting somebody access to your profile, this is known.

It looks like the issue here is that the data was not supposed to be shared with 3rd parties if I understand it.

Which begs the question, if you are an analytics firm mining for data, what good is it if you can't share it with a client?

12. Three Eyes

Following up from yesterday, Bloomberg is reporting that the FTC is "probing whether Facebook violated terms of a 2011 consent decree over its handling of personal user data that was transferred to Cambridge Analytica without users’ knowledge."

13. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Im still trying to read into the issue here.

If you filled out some personality test, what data other than maybe the names of your friends can an app access?

From what Im seeing, its just the basics like name or what ever they put up in the public profile.

I think the issue here that they were not supposed to scrape data on friends, which Cambridge Analytica blatantly ignored.

14. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

The Facebook business will be fine. Users are NOT their customers. In truth, I think their actual customers (Advertisers!) may be happy to hear this news, that it's possible to get more than they paid for.

What are users going to do anyway? "Delete" their Facebook? Sure, users can delete the public page URL, but Facebook ain't deleting that repository of information lol :D They're keeping it on their servers, if you got a page or not. Active users almost is a fictional issue, what really(?) matters is how many users ever signed up.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  15. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

https://apnews.com/8c3404454fe844a1a2389198a327cd9f

How to delete Facebook Forever (and I quote here)
    "Once you’ve saved everything and gone through your activity log, sign in one last time. Go to http://bit.ly/198wIoI and click on the blue button. You can’t get that from the settings page, as Facebook, it may seem, doesn’t want you to leave. Facebook says the process could take a few days. Your delete request will be cancelled if you log back in during this time. Facebook says it may take up to 90 days for all the data associated with your account to be wiped, but you can’t change your mind after the first few days are up."

Can we all agree here, that this clearly says your data is not deleted until Facebook decides to delete it? Regardless of what you're trying to do.

Rhetorically I ask, what happens in those 90 days after the user decides to delete?
    I'm pretty sure that's when they move your data from the online server to the offline server. And make it look like your info has been deleted.

OldFart likes this.
  16. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Oh man, another leg down!

Im starting to feel bullish here very soon!

Onepoint272 likes this.
  17. Three Eyes

I like how FB bounced at the sub-150 level where there was some consolidation last summer. And it just entered oversold territory.

FB 2018-03-26 at 12.24.29 PM.png

OldFart, Onepoint272 and T0rm3nted like this.
  18. internationalstocks

internationalstocks Active Member

Short Facebook

OldFart likes this.
  19. fireopal

fireopal Well-Known Member

internationalstocks likes this.
  20. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member