Fitbit vs. gropro (long-term) ?

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by golfandstocks91, May 6, 2017.

1. golfandstocks91

golfandstocks91 New Member

Hello. i am seeking some advice on these two stocks GPRO, and FITBIT. I have been monitoring both closely over the past 2 weeks or so and was trying to figure out which one of these would be the best to invest in for long time growth. The reason being is because both of these stocks have plunged over the past year or so and are now very cheap (around $8 a share for GPRO and $6.50 for FITBIT) which makes them now excess-able for me to purchase and be hopeful for a turnaround. I have faith in both of these i think both will see gains since fitbit sales are doing very well atm and gopros new karma drone has done very well also in the sales department. They picked up a little bit the past week or so then dipped again towards the end of the week which makes me seem skeptical over the long time aspects of the stocks. My question would be which one of these would you buy up if you had to pick ?? or none of the at all? GPRO's management also concerns me and i think they aren't living up to their potential i should say and it shows because the stocks has torpedoed the last few years.

2. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

I don't like either of these stocks. Long term downtrends happen for a reason and turnarounds are not typically fast or assured. I see one major similar problem that both of these companies share and that is one called a "moat". Their products are easily and currently being produced by other companies for less money and good reviews. The one thing that could potentially happen but in no way is assured would be getting acquired. Not sure about fitbit's chances but you mentioned management of gopro and you are somewhat right. They have an egotistical CEO that it seems would rather drive the company out of business before allowing a sale. There are so many other good stocks in the price range that would be much more deserving of your money. Just an IMHO. Could be wrong...

3. golfandstocks91

golfandstocks91 New Member

Yeah i have heard nothing but negative things about the GOPRO ceo, Woodward or whatever his name is. You have a point about the "moat" thing glad you explained that to me i know amazon and google make a lot of similar products like the drone cameras and also watches and wrists bands that will hurt fit bit and go pro in the long run. Just something i will have to keep my eye on here in the near future

4. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Keep an eye on GPRO, I think it's facing selling pressure and lower prices are in its future. But I think GPRO is closer to a stock rebound than FIT is. Their Q4 report in February was the first one with a profit in a year; their Q1 report in April was a loss, but better than previous year Q1. So can take a chance that the bottom is in, but be patient and get a good price.

As for FIT, $6.50 may be the top of its range from back in January. It was making profits until the last 2 quarters, which at first glance doesn't seem like something you want a growing company to turn in.

5. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice on either one, but I do have a few little mental tips that I always keep in the back of my head when picking stocks

1).. Before you look for reasons to buy a particular stock, look for reasons NOT to buy it first

2).. If you can't list 3 good reasons to buy a stock, don't buy it (that one was Cramer)

3).. Hope is a 4 letter word, if you find yourself hoping something will go your way, just stay out

4) Finding a good stock to buy is only half the battle, finding WHEN to buy it is just as important, if not more so (this was my first and biggest mistake yet)

Don't know if that helps or not.. Hasn't helped me yet, but it will, any day now

T0rm3nted likes this.
  6. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Good advice.

Jrich likes this.
  7. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Oh, one more

5).. Be more picky!

Over 3,100 stocks listed on NASDAQ.. Over 2,800 on NYSE... That's over 5,900 total to chose from (not including OTC)

I was of the same mindset, that a $10 stock is cheaper than a $20 stock... But this is false

A % gain is a % gain, period... Example: 100 shares at $10.. 50 shares at $20.. 20 shares at $50.. 2 shares at $500.. This is the same investment no matter how you slice it... If you make a 30% gain, you will come out the same either way....... So try not to let price per share influence your decision, to a certain extent

Onepoint272 likes this.
  8. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

The moat thing and first out of the gate is over rated. When comparing first movers to improvers, first movers have a 47% failure rate versus 8% for improvers. Look at Facebook, who waited to build a social network after Myspace. Look at Google, who waited years after Altavista and Yahoo. You don't have to be first, just different and better.