Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

General Futures Discussion

Discussion in 'Futures Trading' started by IchiFutures, Apr 12, 2016.

1. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

scalped about $300 ( E/S ) last two days....just can't seem to get into the rhythm...practice makes perfect I guess.

edit: $400 now

#41 OldFart, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    rg7803 and bigbear0083 like this.
  2. AverageJoesTrades

AverageJoesTrades Well-Known Member

Hey @OldFart - I've been looking at getting into some @ES futures trading. I have been working on a strategy, but I'm trying to full understand the margin requirements/how much a contract actually is?

Say I have $30,000 in an account - How many contracts would I be able to buy? Are the contracts 50 units (I think I read that somewhere?)

Thanks for any help!

3. OldFart

#43 OldFart, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  4. OldFart

@IchiFutures is the master of futures, so we need him to chime in here...hopefully, he get's this message...hard to reach since he's probably living on his own island now...lol

@AverageJoesTrades

5. IchiFutures

IchiFutures Active Member

The problem right here is "how many contracts can I buy?" Forget contract amounts. learn to make money entering 1 contract at a time. Very simple, defined entry points and exit points. I buy when I see price bullish. When I see it again, I buy again. I may have up to 7 contracts on at a time. When I see bearish, I take one contract off. If another bearish signal, then another contract.

Anyway...I would never trade more than 2 contracts with 30,000 and I think most guys should be trading futures with 100k. When you're not really sure how good your strategy is, you are at extreme psychological risk and having a 30k in your account, you may bail good trades because your risk starts to make you feel uneasy. Futures are an easy way to lose a lot of money, quickly. trade small and don't hop in and out in and out. You should have a strategy where you can buy and hold for a few days and if you really know what you're doing you may hold and add onto your position through the contract month.

#45 IchiFutures, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  6. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

He speaks! ;)

7. IchiFutures

@StockJock-e still at it and better than ever! How are you big guy?

8. AverageJoesTrades

AverageJoesTrades Well-Known Member

I needed the amount of margin to see what the total amount of contracts would be for the parameters in my algorithm. I have parameters for initial capital then needed initial margin + maintenance to ensure I won't wind up in a margin call situation.

Thanks for the input and feedback.

9. IchiFutures

@AverageJoesTrades - NY session margin may vary between brokers. Overnight requirement is $7,700 per contract. CME has maintenance listed at $29,000.

#49 IchiFutures, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  10. IchiFutures

and still going! @Cire2222