GM - General Motors

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Stockaholic, Apr 4, 2016.

1. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Here is one retail investor's assessment of the announcement of a JV between Microsoft and GM's Cruise:

- This is an admission from GM their micro-data approach is not going to be effective, just as Elon Musk has been saying for several years.
    - Microsoft has not covered themselves in glory, of late. Frankly, I'd bet against them.

This breaks my heart but my outlook for GM is no longer as hopeful as it was 6 months ago. At least they are working on an AI cortex. They aren't the last to that party. It will come down to Microsoft's efficacy of achieving an AI result. Let's hope.

2. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Honda is going with GM's Cruise system for FSD.

StockJock-e likes this.
  3. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

The 2022 model year of the Chevy Bolt EV and Electric Utility Vehicle were unveiled at Disney World on Sunday, February 14th.

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/updates

Key takeaways:

• Price dropped by ~$5k compared to 2020 Bolt; Bolt EV starts at $32k, EUV at $35k
    • Offers free installation of at-home charger
    • Electric Utility Vehicle (EUV) is a new option. It’s similar but a bit taller, longer.
    • First Chevrolet to offer “Super Cruise”, hands off driving assist (which outperformed Tesla Autopilot in a 2020 Consumer Reports review). Previously only available in Cadillac. GM owns 70% of Cruise.

TomB16 likes this.
  4. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

14min video goodness in there pitching you the EV!

5. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are plenty of loyal GM patrons who will buy it, despite it looking like a shrivelled ball sack after a roofie party.

6. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Trying to figure out the thought process behind some of these EVs hurts my head. Why would any reasonable person think that a car that would be too ugly to sell in numbers with a gas engine will sell well as an EV? The style shop has been taken over by a former metal shop brake operator.

We are seeing this on other EVs, also.

The Bolt will probably do OK, as GM's entry level EV, but it's a shame they didn't make something nice that people would want to own.

7. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

:rofl:

8. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

One last post...

I don't consider the Tesla 3 to be a beautiful car. It's a nice looking car but not nearly as nice as the S, IMO. Still, if you give your key to a valet at a restaurant, he will smile and enjoy parking your car at full throttle with an e-brake turn to skid into the spot. Handing your Bolt keys at a valet will result in lip curling and a suggestion that Jack in the Box is down the street.

Elon knew 20 years ago that electric cars have just as much need to be desirable and enjoyable as gas cars.

Syynik and Rustic1 like this.
  9. Rustic1

Rustic1 Well-Known Member

Front row at the bozo show. The heartbeat of America. download.png

10. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

he sees unusual activity, i see cup and handle.

Jon Najarian Sees Unusual Option Activity In Rocket Companies And General Motors
    1:07 pm ET March 2, 2021 (Benzinga) Print

On CNBC's "Fast Money Halftime Report," Jon Najarian gave some unusual option activity plays.
    Najarian sees unusual activity in:

• Rocket Companies (NYSE: RKT) March $23.5 & $37 calls
    • General Motors (NYSE: GM) April $60 calls
    He will hold his position in the Rocket Companies March $37 calls for about two weeks and his position in General motors for three to four weeks.

See Also: Rocket Companies Gains Another 20% Suggesting Potential Short Squeeze

© 2021 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.

11. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

GM going for the break out?

12. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

yes.[​IMG]

StockJock-e likes this.
  13. TheYoungInvestor

TheYoungInvestor New Member

[General Motors Stock Analysis] (GM)

- up 230% since April 2020
    - PE Ratio of 13.5
    - Revenue centered in the United States
    - Posted positive financials in its Q3 and Q4 report of 2020

[Stock Rating - D (Sell)

- The company has had trouble for years and experienced decreasing revenues
    - The American consumer is increasingly indebted in terms of auto loans and might not be able to consume in the future without continued government aid

Conclusion: The company road up the recovery in 2020 along with multiple other EV stocks. Recent numbers are promising, but growth estimates and forecasts for the company rely heavily on a growing and healthy economy. Lots of Americans are only able to keep spending because of government checks, which won't last forever, and most consumers are increasingly indebted. If you are more optimistic than me on the broader economy you can maybe justify a hold rating, but certainly not a buy.

Full Analysis can be found here:

14. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

GM also going to push hard here, I wonder how fast they can do it?

upload_2021-6-16_12-3-23.png

15. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

They should be able to fully convert to electric vehicle production in about 45 days, if building an EV is just a matter of putting a motor and battery into any old chassis that is sitting around. From there, they will turn up production to 10m units per year and Tesla will be dead before Q4.

Sarcasm gives so much and asks so little.

16. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I will share my take on GM's strategic direction.

I have liked Mary Barra since the beginning. She seems to have a handle on what needs to be done.

It appeared GM was on track to migrate to electrification but a couple of the deals that were made, such as their partnership with Nikola, have shaken my confidence in GM surviving on the long term. A whole lot of people knew Nikola was built on vapor, and yet GM executives did not.

The Ultium battery platform is a decent strategic component and they are moving in the right direction technically but they are so far behind Tesla, they may not be long term viable. Ultium is going to be around for years and it is a cell/module/pack design while Tesla will be producing cars with structural packs in the next two quarters.

I put the odds of GM surviving at 50%, based on an assumption of a major government bailout.

17. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Yeah that was a little weird, but we shall see how it all plays out.

TomB16 likes this.
  18. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

WASHINGTON, June 15 (Reuters) - General Motors Co will boost global spending on electric and autonomous vehicles to $35 billion through 2025, a 30% jump over its most recent forecast as it pursues EV leadership, people briefed on the matter told Reuters.

As part of that spending, the No. 1 U.S. automaker will build two additional U.S. battery plants and move ahead some of its EV investments, said the sources, who asked not to be identified. In November, GM upped its spending plans from $20 billion, a figure that was announced in March before the COVID-19 pandemic shut down the auto industry.

TomB16 likes this.
  19. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

A couple of sources are citing GM Q2 numbers as "down 15%". I swear, honesty is dead.

GM is taking a major hit at the absolute worst time. Right now is when GM desperately needs to invest in electrification. Even at that, GM is going to become a niche player because they don't seem to be working on AI like their company depends on it. If they had AI, it would be telling them to work on AI like their company depends on it.

Five years ago, people would scoff and look at me like I am dumb AF when I would say that GM is probably not going to survive the jump to electrification. I thought they had the best chance out of the majors, as they are an engineering company, but I knew it was a long shot. It turns out, GM executives are not nearly smart enough to guide the company through this minefield. When I say that now, people give me a look that tells me they are scared as hell and desperately wish I would not say that.

20. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Further...

One car company is going to dominate. Tesla is the heir apparent. If I was a betting man, I would place my money on them but it will not be gifted to them; they have to earn it.

Whomever gets to AI first will put everyone else out of business.

A company with AI driving will be able to make 100% of their profit from self driving and sell the cars at cost or below. That boiling oil will make it essentially impossible for other companies to finish climbing the wall.