Hi from Argentina

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EdieFisher, Jul 21, 2020.

1. EdieFisher

EdieFisher New Member

Hi, I'm new to investing in the stock market but I've been reading articles and watching videos and I want to try buying some Wall Street stocks.
    I live in Argentina and I made some money with Google Adsense and Affiliate Marketing.
    Since I have money in Paypal I wanted to use it to send it to a broker but I tried in two and they don't accept Paypal.
    Can you help me and give me some tips to start investing?
    Thank you very much ;)

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forums. I can't help you with how to deposit in Argentina though, sorry. Maybe google can assist you?

3. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to think that's going to be difficult due to the questions you will need to fill out when you open a brokerage account. On the other hand, I'm sure it's possible. I'm curious to read how you make out.

I suspect the trick will be to open an American bank account at an institution that has an affiliated brokerage. With that bank account linked, you should be able to transfer money from PP to bank to brokerage but there may be some issues setting that up as a non-citizen, non-resident.

Also, welcome to StockTwits. :)

4. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Edie,

I was thinking about your question and wondering about details of the Argentina/US tax treaty. It turns out, there isn't one. This is going to expose you to withholding tax. You may wish to investigate the impact of this, before you get too far down the US investing road.