How can I learn how to invest?

Discussion in 'Investing' started by Danny7866, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Danny7866

Danny7866 New Member

Hello,
    I would like to learn about how to invest in the stock market, right now I don't know almost anything..
    I tried to read some recommended books like "How to make money in stocks" by William J. Oneil, and "The intelligent investor" by Benjamin Graham.
    But the problem is I do not understand what I read at all, I guess these books are a little to advanced for me and I am lost and don't know where to start.

2. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

If you want to know how to open a brokerage account or about the different kinds of orders (market, limit, stop) you can learn a lot from Investopedia. If you want to know the basics of various fundamental investing and technical trading mechanics I've always thought the Forex Peace Army does a good job; just ignore the FOREX stuff if you are interested in stocks.

http://www.forexpeacearmy.com/community/forums/complete-trading-education-forex-military-school.158/

Chapter 6 may be a good place to start.

Buck Rogers, OldFart and Danny7866 like this.
  3. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Also, the chart school at stockcharts.com was very useful to me when I started out. Like most people I spent years trying out different techniques and so the key to surviving this period is to trade small.

Everyone has their own style. As for me I don't go in for fundamental analyses at all, nada. I am convinced that all the fundamental data whether known by the public or the smart money, is condensed into the price action and therefore everything I need to know is on the chart. For me, having partial fundamental information, and news (someone's hidden agenda) is actually detrimental; I usually don't want to know; I don't want my chart reading to be biased by partial fundamental information or downright lies. The biggest participants in a particular stock have a team of fundamental analysts and they don't tell the public what they know. These people have access to insiders, they can control what news is released and when it is released. They time their stock market activities (manipulations) to coincide with the release of news. I simply attempt to follow their actions, which are evident on the chart.

It is important to understand that the game is rigged against the public, even from the very top. Consider that the Federal Reserve Chairman and the Board of Governors (the top banksters) know to the minute when the bull market will end.

#3 Onepoint272, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    TomB16, Buck Rogers, Timbo and 2 others like this.
  4. Danny7866

Danny7866 New Member

Thanks!

5. Jonathan Wiley

OldFart and Onepoint272 like this.
  6. Anny.M

Anny.M New Member

7. Bridget Mallory

Bridget Mallory Active Member

8. BlueRidgeHorizons

BlueRidgeHorizons New Member

Spend an afternoon on youtube learning the basics.
    The most important thing is to understand that there is not one way to trade stock, there are many strategies.
    Learn the labels applied to each strategy before you spend your first dime. To start out here are two terms or "labels", value trading and momentum trading.

You want to have an objective and a financial goal set in place before you pursue any of these techniques and it sounds like you are starting on the right foot Decide how much you are willing to loose and what you are willing to risk on an individual stock. The market is doing so well right now, there are really some great opportunities to learn from out there.

9. ElectricSavant

ElectricSavant Active Member

Danny,

Stick with S & P 500 stocks. Open up an M1 Finance Account where you can invest small amounts with fractional share size. Treat those holding as if it were millions. Your goal is to beat the S&P 500 returns. Make a spreadsheet. Invest, lose, win...get your feet wet with real money...you will learn.

Here is something for you to try....(you are probably no longer here in this forum)

Track the day session market. Then track the gap at the next mornings open. Put the numbers in your spreadsheet and see how analytical you are and report any findings here ...ok?

10. hitman

hitman Well-Known Member

This is so funny in so many ways, a person giving advice about a different vehicle from the forum which he/she is a member of.

Which begs to ask the question why are you a member here if you are already having a great investment experience with another vehicle.

No need to reply oh I'm looking for multiple sources of income.... I call BS.

As a member it would be helpful to steer a new member about Investment/trading videos in the learning section of the forum or books at the library.

11. ESMac_Magnaye

ESMac_Magnaye New Member

reported

12. ESMac_Magnaye

ESMac_Magnaye New Member

edit: please ignore this last message, using my mobile phone duplicate post

13. ChrisDouthit

ChrisDouthit Member

There is lots of good free resources out there, but if you're serious about learning the trade, I highly recommend you get a good coach.

14. EmmanuelGrand87

EmmanuelGrand87 New Member

Hello,
    Thank you all for all those interesting resources that I will definitely look at. This forum is amazing, finally I found an active one where people actually answer, and correctly. By the way, here is a good guide to learn how to invest. :)
    Best regards

15. Investment_plans

Investment_plans New Member

It is great that you have tried to read popular investment-related books and are so keen on learning about the subject. However, for starters, you may figure out the very basics of investment before plunging into the more minute details. This could be as simple as reading simple online articles on investment and trading, stocks and bonds, mutual funds investments etc. - the pros and cons of each and what to keep in mind before investing in these assets.

Next, try and figure out what you expect from your investment endeavour, i.e. what your personal investment goals and objectives are. These goals could be short-term ones like paying the fees for your upcoming course, or more long-term, such as planning for retirement. Make concrete and attainable goals such as "x rate of interest to be received annually after retirement" instead of broader ones like "returns after retirement".

Create your online demat account, which is a very simple procedure and requires you to provide your identity and address proofs. Creating a Demat account instantly broadens your investment horizons.

Lastly, consulting reputed brokers, investment experts and consultants can help you kick-start your journey. They can also serve as your encyclopaedias and sounding boards as you go along!

I hope this helps you. All the best!

16. Mark22

Mark22 Member

- learn to go in and out on time, learn to identify the best times to buy a currency or get rid of the one they already have, which can lead to losses.
    - understand two popular methods to know whether the price of a currency will rise, fall or remain, technical analysis and fundamental analysis.
    - do not forget that the data that you must always monitor are the GDP and the CPI

TomB16 likes this.
  17. A55

A55 Well-Known Member

18. D&D Finance

D&D Finance New Member